Ball joints!!! MOT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ball joints!!! MOT

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 05-04-2012, 04:16 AM   #1
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Ball joints!!! MOT

My CRD Grand Cherokee just passed its MOT (Road worthiness test in the UK) but had an advise that the left hand front ball joints (upper and lower) had very slight play in them and will need to be done before next years test. So I thought I would do them now before I forget!! Have done a search on here which lead me to some youtube videos which made it look fairly easy....I would have to get a pess type tool to remove and refit them though. So the questions are ....Is it as easy as it looks on youtube and who has done it themselves? How long did it take? Has anyone found a way of removing/fitting them without buying the tool (nearly 100!)?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Unread 05-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
ejweelin04
2004 WJ 

you will need to the tool to get them out and in. all the ones i have removed from jeeps come out hard, and i usually spend at least a half of day doing the work
ejweelin04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
wicked99wj
1999 WJ 

ball joints can be a pita or they can be hard. Spray with pb blaster a few days before you start to work on them. You do need the tool, it will make life easy on you in the end. TRUST ME I KNOW!
wicked99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
wicked99wj
1999 WJ 

i meant to say the can be hard or easy lol
wicked99wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
mattmc74
1999 WJ 

you will need the tool to do the job right. Ask around maybe some one has one you can borrow for the day. Some auto parts stores rent them out so you won't have to buy the tool.
mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:32 AM   #6
UK Cherry
2000 WJ 

Hello mate

Greetings from West Sussex.

I did mine at the end of last year, using this tool:-

http://www.toolgarage.co.uk/automoti...0pc_P1069.html

Took me the best part of a day. You'll need some meaty washers to ensure the angle is correct when you're installing the top joints. No great dramas though.

I had an offset upper ball joint (apparently factory fitted due to a crap batch of D30s), so check before ordering new ones. You'll need to wire-brush the top of the old joint to read the number of degrees offset on it, before ordering another..... worth checking.

UKC
UK Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #7
MadderThanMax

Wj

Strange ... are yours not the regreaseable type Dean? Mine has the same, the stealers said that there was slight play but just regreased and all was fine. My stealers were at it as usual, the service was 100k and I was assured that the trans fluid was changed in this.. no it wasn't, I'd replaced the rear droplinks with brand new and already I need new ones less that 6 months old! I needed a new pollen filter... no I don't because the car doesn't have one I'm assured from another dealer! My rear wind screen wash is in op - no it isn't, it just takes a few moments to pump the water through... and they wonder why you won't bring the car back to them for service? Grrrrrr
MadderThanMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #8
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadderThanMax View Post
Strange ... are yours not the regreaseable type Dean? Mine has the same, the stealers said that there was slight play but just regreased and all was fine. My stealers were at it as usual, the service was 100k and I was assured that the trans fluid was changed in this.. no it wasn't, I'd replaced the rear droplinks with brand new and already I need new ones less that 6 months old! I needed a new pollen filter... no I don't because the car doesn't have one I'm assured from another dealer! My rear wind screen wash is in op - no it isn't, it just takes a few moments to pump the water through... and they wonder why you won't bring the car back to them for service? Grrrrrr
Only the top ones are re-greasable. I have slight play in top and bottom one! Typical. So I will replace them. Will prob do all four while im at it or its bound to have worn by next MOT. Never been to a main dealer or any other sort in my life (20 odd cars owned and a similar number of bikes). Far to tight to pay for anything I can do myself! Time is more the problem for me The only time it goes to a garage is for the MOT. I worked at a main dealer for 14 years (VW - as a salesman ) and I think we were very honest in our workshop..... but I dont trust most dealerships....especially at the moment when, like everything else, making money is far more important to them than customer service.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
JForest2
2004 WJ 

If any ball joint has any kind of play replace them when you can. THey will only get worse..

As for the other post about having slight play and adding grease and it went away, the ball joint is still worn and needs replacement..

James
JForest2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.