Ball Joint Installation Adapter Tool - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
crazywiseman

Ball Joint Installation Adapter Tool

Hey guys,

I've recently been troubleshooting a death wobble issue ('02 grand cherokee laredo 4.0l) and ball joints are next on my list. I've already replaced all 4 tie rod ends and have a new track bar being shipped.

However, i'm having an issue replacing the upper ball joint into each knuckle. Apparently, Jeep WJ's have angled upper knuckles. Therefore, most ball joint insertion kits will NOT work correctly for installation purposes because all of the sleeves are straight and none of them have the slight angle. If possible, I'd rather not order the $80 tool (OTC-784).

Do you guys have any solutions? Can i mimic the angled insertion sleeve without having to order the part? Thanks for the help.

TLDR: Ball joint insertion tool that's specific to WJ's is expensive, any solution without buying the tool? I doubt they're rentable from most places. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
crazywiseman

Adapter tool number is actually OTC-7894, not as mentioned above.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-19-2017, 11:09 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

WJ's and ZJ's are the same in having an angled knuckle surface. Some just use washers to bring the non-beveled ball joint adapter tool in line.

I went a step further and took about a 2"x 1"x 1/8" piece of steel and cut a slight curved notch (new moon shape) out of it. It worked fine and the outer edge of the adapter rested right on it while keeping it straight. Good luck.

96 4.0 ZJ Laredo, 2004 4.7L WJ Limited, 96 4.0 XJ (son's)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

post #4 of 5 Old 07-20-2017, 03:54 AM
Grippy0
2002 WJ 

My top ones went in easy with a suitable sized socket and 3 jaw puller
post #5 of 5 Old 07-21-2017, 10:30 AM
MadCharger
2004 WJ 

I just used a washer also to offset the adapter. I just gave the top a few taps with a mallet to start it going in straight.

'04 Grand Cherokee Overland || 4.7 HO || 6" Clayton || 35" Mud Country || 242HD swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.