Bad ring and pinion? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad ring and pinion?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bad ring and pinion?

I'm thinking about calling this guy about his Jeep.

http://westslope.craigslist.org/cto/4310370908.html

Says it needs a new ring and pinion up front. Of course we all know that even though he might be right about the parts being $300 or so, this isn't a job that I'd want to tackle on my own so my offer would be lower than his $2000 asking price.

If I do end up going out to look at it would you guys think that I would be OK to drive it 60+ miles home if it had a bad front diff?

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 09:52 AM   #2
grussell
2001 WJ 

I would say it depends on what the damage is inside the differential. The parts will be moving inside when your driving it, so lets say maybe, maybe not.
diif.gif

Unread 01-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So does the front axle disengage on the WJ when it's in 2WD like it did on my YJ or is the front driveshaft always spinning?

My build thread...
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It's got the 4.0. He says it is making noise and when he pulled the diff cover there is play in the gears.

My build thread...
Unread 01-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #5
brad_12
1999 WJ 

I think you should be alright assuming it has selectrac and can drive it home in 2wd if it is indeed the front.
Unread 01-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Pull the front driveshaft and drive her home.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #7
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
So does the front axle disengage on the WJ when it's in 2WD like it did on my YJ or is the front driveshaft always spinning?
NO! WJs do not disconnect an axle so the axles will be spinning the ring and pinion, and driveline, the spiders will turn as you make turns. It is ultimately up to you but at the least I would pull the cover and look inside for myself then refill the lube before I would hit the highway for a 60 mi drive with it.

If you see any broken gears I would rent a tow dolly and load the front end. Why?....I once owned a IH scout LOL, the rear diff broke regularly. I usually cleaning out the loose broken teeth in the diff then removed the driveline. The results were mixed and totally unpredictable. Sometimes it just made some snapping and popping once and a while. Other times the broken tooth or teeth would time just right and lock the diff up solid. I just did this to get off the trail and back to a road where I could trailer it home.

The other thing to consider is.... If he just noticed some backlash in the gears and did not actually SEE broken gears it could be just a bad pinion bearings or a carrier bearing. In that case driving it could do unnecessary damage to the ring and pinion.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.