Bad piston rings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Bad piston rings?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!1993-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Stainless Steel Exhaust Mani1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

Bad piston rings?

99 WJ 4.7L, 149xxx miles.

I burned almost about 5 quarts in 3,000 miles, obviously keeping it up to level throughout time, just all added up to that. I don't overheat, and I just changed the oil and it wasn't milky, and replaced the radiator and coolant seemed pretty good so that throws bad head gasket out of the question. It puffs blueish smoke sometimes at start, but puffs from stopsigns/stop lights almost everytime. Just replaced the PCV valve, and old one seemed to be fine anyway.
I almost have this down to almost bad rings or valve guides. How much of a PITA would it be to pull the motor and fix these?

(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

A big pita actually.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #3
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Do a compression test, see what it comes back as. Then, add about a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and retest. If the compression goes up, it's bad rings. If it doesn't, it's valve guides. If that test shows it's rings, they may just be stuck, not bad.

To try to free up stuck rings, buy a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO). It's about $5. Pour an ounce or 2 into each cylinder through the spark plug hole (leave the plugs out). Let it sit overnight. In the morning, place some rags in front of the spark plug holes, and crank it for a few seconds to push any remaining oil (that didn't seep down past the rings) out. Use the rest of the quart as your top-off oil until you finish the quart. Run the oil/MMO mix for about 1000 miles, then change the oil and filter. If the rings were gummed up and sticking, this should clean them up a good bit and reduce your oil consumption.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Howiedooit
1999 WJ 

on a daily driver stuck rings are unlikely, worn rings are also unlikely with only 147k, if the problem began out of the blue then I'd lean more towards a cracked ring. If you do have a cracked ring then fixing it becomes a little more complicated depending on weather it dislodged from it's groove and had a fight with your cylinder wall on it's way out. X2 on the comp test tho
Howiedooit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
99_WJ_Laredo
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000 View Post
Do a compression test, see what it comes back as. Then, add about a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and retest. If the compression goes up, it's bad rings. If it doesn't, it's valve guides. If that test shows it's rings, they may just be stuck, not bad...
What are the compression numbers supposed to be for an engine in good condition?
99_WJ_Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_WJ_Laredo View Post
What are the compression numbers supposed to be for an engine in good condition?
Good info here...

compression check - Dakota Durango Message Board

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.