Axle swap guide - 1/2 ton - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Axle swap guide - 1/2 ton

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 10-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #31
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

A few more pics to update this swap.

Truss complete (not fully burned in), with shocks mounted and control arms in. Note the turning radius.

phptl8s5gpm.jpg

Back-side pic (note how high the LCA mounts in relation to the axle tube -- at ride height the LCAs are very flat):

phpqubpghpm.jpg

Straight-on shot. Steering is incomplete at this point (pictured is the old Ford tie rod), but shows the clearance of the tie rod. It actually sits an inch or so above the tube.

phpyqgw8vpm.jpg

Full droop. Limited only by shock length. Time for longer travel shocks.

php7kvocopm.jpg

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #32
doorjamm
2000 WJ 

I think I know what I'm saving up for now.. When will he add This kit to his website? The only thing im left wondering is the cost of his kit

And this is an awesome job you're doing skain, really appreciate the detailed write up
doorjamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #33
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorjamm View Post
I think I know what I'm saving up for now.. When will he add This kit to his website? The only thing im left wondering is the cost of his kit

And this is an awesome job you're doing skain, really appreciate the detailed write up
Updated steering section a bit, and better explained the inverted Y.

I'll try to get some more details. Sorry I've been a bit lacking in that department. Bump the thread again or PM me if I forget.

231HD build guide
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #34
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

More steering

As mentioned above in the first steering section of the thread, to achieve optimal steering geometry, the trackbar and draglink need to be as close to parallel, same length, and in the same plane as possible. Deviation from this will cause bumpsteer and overall less-than-desirable steering characteristics.

In order to achieve the same length, the axle side trackbar bracket needs to be moved over towards the knuckle as far as possible, and the frame side trackbar bracket is moved over towards the coil, both without causing interference at full lock.

Axle side: trackbar bracket is custom fabbed for placement, clearance, and strength (not drilled for bolt yet in this picture). Note the clearance at full lock to squeeze every possible length out of the design:

Front view-
track-bar-front.jpg

Top view-
track-bar-top-angle.jpg

Top view (at full lock)-
track-bar-top.jpg

Frame side: What's missing in the first photo (besides the axle and bumpstop)? Bingo - factory trackbar bracket removed. New bracket will shift the frame side trackbar mount over towards the coil. After the factory bracket is removed, the frame rail is plated on 3 sides with 1/8" metal, perimeter and plug welded, and ground smooth for paint. Original frame rail was painted with zinc primer before the new plate was tacked in over top. Longer bolts are needed for the motor mount. The new bracket will be welded to the reinforced frame.

phpxfjymgpm.jpg

Inner view-
frame-rail-innter.jpg

Outer view-
frame-rail-outer.jpg

Outer view (plug welds ground smooth)-
frame-rail-outer-complete.jpg

231HD build guide
Unread 11-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #35
veiri86

2003 WJ 

Excellent write up and very informative :thumbs up: Skain

Sent from my iPad Mini using Jeepforum.com

01' 4.7 Limited WJ 5" lifted, Rubicon Express 4.5" coil springs with IRO critical path setup and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), JKS HD tie rod (MOOG problem solver Ends), JKS HD drag link (Moog Probel solver Ends), 4.56 Yukon ring and pinion, Moog HD SSD107 Steering Stabilizer, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, Stillen slotted rotors all around with Stillen brake pads, IRO adjustable A-Arm, 3" all the way Kolak Exhaust with High flow Magnaflow Cat. Converter and Flowmaster Super 50 Muffler, 285/70R17 AT Kumho (33") on 17" BlackWheel rims 909B, K&N Cold air intake, Four nozzles Bosch injectors, and Flashpaq 3780.

03' 4.7 H.O WJ 3" lifted, OME HD with 0.5" Coil spacers and Bilstien 5100 shocks all around, JKS adjustable Trackbar (KOR bushings), Moog Problem solver TRE's, IRO Front drive shaft conversion, IRO adjustable A-Arm, High flow magnaflow mini cats, high flow magnaflow cat, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 265/65R17 AT Yokohama on 17" Rays rims, and Flashpaq 3780
veiri86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #36
FunkyWJ
2001 WJ 

So Skain, what are you thinking about for longer travel shocks?
And what are you doing for a Tie rod/Drag link? I got the impression for your pictures you didn't intend on keeping the Ford steering.
FunkyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #37
Rocklobster
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Nice work man, sub for future reference
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #38
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyWJ View Post
So Skain, what are you thinking about for longer travel shocks?
And what are you doing for a Tie rod/Drag link? I got the impression for your pictures you didn't intend on keeping the Ford steering.
Just longer travel Bilsteins. Not interested in anything more exotic.

Unfortunately, you cannot simply swap over the Ford steering. I retained the same style of steering (inverted Y -- albeit OTK), but the Ford bracketry doesn't jibe with the WJ. In the inverted Y, the tie rod attaches to the draglink. I'm not there yet in pictures, so you'll have to check back.

231HD build guide
Unread 12-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #39
wvracer821
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

could you get a measurement on your clayton UCA for me? kick *** build btw i cant wait to see it done. hopfully i can get some time off to come up there and wheel rauch creek
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2013, 07:10 AM   #40
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvracer821 View Post
could you get a measurement on your clayton UCA for me? kick *** build btw i cant wait to see it done. hopfully i can get some time off to come up there and wheel rauch creek
UCA = 15 15/16" center of bolt to center of bolt. That measurement is specific to my application, so use it at your own risk.

As for wheeling, sounds good. Spring time.

231HD build guide
Unread 12-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #41
fast540
1999 WJ 

Skain thank you for the write up it's very complete and well written. I'm betting the results are gonna be awesome
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #42
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
Skain thank you for the write up it's very complete and well written. I'm betting the results are gonna be awesome
Thank you.

I'm attempting to thoroughly cover everything for the benefit of the Forum, and showcase the fantastic work of Endless Mtn Fab at the same time. All of the custom WJ "stuff" that you see in this thread will be available at some point. Stay tuned...

231HD build guide
Unread 12-06-2013, 09:47 AM   #43
fast540
1999 WJ 

Is endless Mtn a fab shop or do you produce parts for resale as well.ill be on stock axles for a bit longer but will be wanting reinforcement bits for the stock mounts and such will prob truss and gusset the front as well cus the parts are cheap and welding it up is just the price of high nickle rod
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #44
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Coil retainers & bumptops

Coil retainers F/R are built in to the OEM isolators with a metal cup/plate, and a half-moon style coil retainer (see pics below).

coil-retainer-no-coil.jpg

front-retainer-stand-alone-.jpg

For the front, retainers are used in the bottom, and upper retainers double as bumpstop extensions. Stock TJ cups/bumpstops are welded to the long extension piece and strike against the lower half-moon retainer. The long extension piece is welded to a plate to the stock upper isolator mount, and can be lengthened, as necessary, for taller tires. Factory bumpstops on the frame rails are removed and not reused. In this pic, you see the front set-up without the factory isolator installed on the lower spring pad. This fabricated piece fits snugly inside the isolator and serves to keep it in place. The upper stock isolator is reused.

front-tower-bumpstop.jpg

For the rear, as with the front, stock TJ cups/bumpstops are used, and incorporated into the stock lower isolator (no bumpstop installed in this pic). Stock rear upper isolator is resused.

rear-coil-retainer.jpg

Drain hole for retainer tower -- little attention to detail :

retainer-tower-drain-hole.jpg

231HD build guide
Unread 12-14-2013, 05:06 PM   #45
wvracer821
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Length for those bump stops? i just got my IRO 6.5 coils today. mine is either getting 35s or 37s hopefully by summer
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/
wvracer821 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.