Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Axle compatibility

632 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  BDW 
#1 ·
Hello fellow jeep lovers. Unfortunately this Jeep lover also doesn't know too much about what makes them work! So the mechanic tells me my spring plates(I believe thats what he called them) on my rear axle are apparently so rusted they are about to give out. I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo that has a Dana44 3.73 ratio rear axle part number: 52099429AC. Upon searching online I found MANY Spicer 44 axles that say they will fit my model of jeep and have matching ratio of 3.73, part number: b125956145h. Now, the Spicer axles are much cheaper and more available then an exact Dana match would be. However when I tried to show my mechanic a picture of the spicer 44 axle wondering if it would be compatible, he did not really look and basically just told me it has to be the identical part. I suspect him of just telling us that to not be bothered rather then telling us if he honestly didn't know. So after all that, my real question is: Will the Spicer44 axle be a compatible replacement axle to the Dana 44 axle my 2000 WJ came with. Thanks so much for your time!

#5 ·
As Weasel said, the Jeep WJ Dana 44 is a unique part; not compatible with any other vehicle. Referred to at times at the D44A and elsewhere as the D44HD.

A. I just bought one from a recycling yard. $160 for the axle and I paid them a couple hours labor additional to pull it for me just to save the hassle in the junkyard.

B. You can buy a bracket kit from Clayton off road (part number COR-1206130) and have a welding shop cut off the rusted brackets and install those.
B.1 Any welding shop capable of doing this can also make some new coil mounts from steel plate and a bit of pipe, which is what some owners have done themselves. Probably the least costly option.

PS- better check for corrosion elsewhere before sinking too much money... good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.