Axle bearings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Axle bearings

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-03-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
SigFiend
1999 WJ 

Axle bearings

Got a question...

When I pulled the rear axles off for the differential job, I noticed that there is about a 1/8" gap between the bearings and the retainer (inboard side).

Is that retainer supposed to be snug up to the bearing?

SigFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

No. The retainer should be right against the bearing...to stop it moving along the shaft.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.
Unread 06-04-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Amadauss

1999 WJ 

I posted some pics on this in that thread about replacing the rear bearings on the site. On the axle itself it has a lip that when the bearing is pressed, it fits against it and leaves a space so the retainer ring moves a bit. That all tightens up when you put it in and those 4 nuts that hold it to the shaft. Just a note, all are metric except for those nuts. 9/16.
Unread 06-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #4
SigFiend
1999 WJ 

I just took a closer look at everything on the work bench...and could see that it wasn't right.

I cut the bearing retainer & bearing off and see the lip. Now I get it.

Thanks guys.
SigFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadauss View Post
I posted some pics on this in that thread about replacing the rear bearings on the site. On the axle itself it has a lip that when the bearing is pressed, it fits against it and leaves a space so the retainer ring moves a bit. That all tightens up when you put it in and those 4 nuts that hold it to the shaft. Just a note, all are metric except for those nuts. 9/16.
I think you are confusing the retainer (or retaining ring) that holds the bearing in place on the shaft with the retaining plate (with the four bolts) that holds the axle in the tube. That plate should have play until, as you rightly say, tighten the nuts to the bolts....the ring should have none and be tight against the bearing. I think (i could be wrong) the that op is talking about the pressed on ring.

Sent from the Dark Side using only the Force.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.