Auto closing sunroof - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Auto closing sunroof

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
BrianBSHS
2004 WJ 

Auto closing sunroof

Any know what it would take to make the sunroof auto close? Also perhaps looking it up to rain sensor so it auto closes if it starts to rain?

BrianBSHS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 12:41 AM   #2
tuglife
2004 WJ 

You mean like an auto close when shutting off the vehicle? Sounds complicated. Turning the key off cuts power to your electrics so that would have to be bypassed so it would continue to close after the key was removed. Then you'd need some sort of signal to close it when switching to ACC I'd imagine.
The rain sensor is an interesting idea and possible if you have rain sensing wipers (which never seem to work that well). Problem is mine at least take a decent amount of water to come on. It appears it's the motion of the droplets across the sensor that activates it. Imagine in that time I'd be wet and annoyed and will have shut the sunroof manually. If you're talking about it auto closing due to rain while the vehicle is sitting well you'd need to invent a way to auto predict bird **** and once you've done that well you're now a millionaire and won't be driving a WJ anyway. Good luck.
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
bradywgn71
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Maybe this would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Install-Essent...m_cr_pr_sims_t
Unread 06-08-2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuglife View Post
You mean like an auto close when shutting off the vehicle? Sounds complicated. Turning the key off cuts power to your electrics so that would have to be bypassed so it would continue to close after the key was removed. Then you'd need some sort of signal to close it when switching to ACC I'd imagine.
The rain sensor is an interesting idea and possible if you have rain sensing wipers (which never seem to work that well). Problem is mine at least take a decent amount of water to come on. It appears it's the motion of the droplets across the sensor that activates it. Imagine in that time I'd be wet and annoyed and will have shut the sunroof manually. If you're talking about it auto closing due to rain while the vehicle is sitting well you'd need to invent a way to auto predict bird **** and once you've done that well you're now a millionaire and won't be driving a WJ anyway. Good luck.
Actually turning off the key does not cut the power to the accessories, like power windows and sunroof. They stay active for 30 seconds after you remove the key or open a door, which ever comes first.
As for the power roof close automatically, probably more work that it worth.
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
drmadcat
2002 WJ 

My 02 auto closes when i turn the key off.
drmadcat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
imaguy3
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmadcat View Post
weird b/c my 04 doesn't
Unread 06-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #7
tuglife
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaguy3
weird b/c my 04 doesn't
Mine either. Betcha it's a evic option that got the axe after some kids head got chopped off.
4.7 HO V8, K&N FIPK, Old Man Emu HD Springs, Bilstien 5100, 31" 255/70/17 Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2, Black JK Moabs, Overland Rock Sliders, Tow Hooks, Westin Brush Guard, GTP Hood Vents, Mopar iPod Integration Kit
tuglife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #8
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Mine doesn't. Sounds like its something aftermarket.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #9
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Scroll through your EVIC up top and see if you can turn that on or off. I've never heard of that before, and would want the control over it.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Scroll through your EVIC up top and see if you can turn that on or off. I've never heard of that before, and would want the control over it.
I have never seen "sunroof" in any of my EVIC's, but will have to try the automatic closing when I turn off my Jeep.
Sent from my iPad using Electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #11
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
I have never seen "sunroof" in any of my EVIC's, but will have to try the automatic closing when I turn off my Jeep.
Sent from my iPad using Electrons
I haven't either, which is why I asked them to check.

Mine doesn't close when I turn off the Jeep. I've been rained in a few times. If it did, there would have to be an option to turn that off, as sometimes I like to leave it open with the Jeep off.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #12
ezflip
NEWS FLASH It snows in MI

2002 WJ 

The auto-close is on laredos with sunroofs. Not sure why it's a different system on limiteds.

Sent from inside my dinosoar head.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #13
cuttysark

My 04 limited auto closes
cuttysark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
cde02ltd

Our 02 limited does not auto close. Would be nice if it did! Or at least one touch close would be nice. It has one touch open, why not close? I have owned it since new, and I don't recall it being a setting in the evic.
cde02ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2014, 07:11 AM   #15
Trav1s
2004 WJ 

My '04 Columbia (which is essentially a Laredo) does not auto-close. I have not found anything in the EVIC either. I just looked on www.wjjeeps.com and could not find anything either.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.