Audio upgrade question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Audio upgrade question

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-26-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
Skater041930
2001 WJ 

Audio upgrade question

Changing out all the speakers and amp. Alpine type r 6x9s in the front, type r 6.5's rear, don't know about the tweets yet and a sundown audio 100.4. If anyone has done similar how did you power the tweeters ? Or is it a 'must' to find a 6 channel amp...

Skater041930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 07:12 AM   #2
lemiller
2001 WJ 

You only need a 6 channel amp if you want to go with an "active" set-up, I would say most people (including myself) run a 4 channel amp and wire in corssovers to the front speakers. For the fronts look into a component set of speakers. This will already have tweeters for the dash, door speakers and crossovers.....And just so you know, the dash speaker isnt an actual tweeter, it is a full range 2.5in speaker.
lemiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #3
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

^^^Full range??? 2.5"!!!

Yeah right, NO they Are mods and highs, crossover set in amp,,,,
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #4
Skater041930
2001 WJ 

To me the dash speakers are no bass at all lol just vocals, in my eyes. But those need to be replaced as well so the component set seems smart. Just have been reading to that not alot of speakers fit 'perfect' mounting wise. I will be pissed if I spend all the money and have them hit glass or have panels not fit back on correctly or just something stupid.
Unread 01-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #5
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

With my setup, put in component tweeters in the dash. The original speakers are basically taken apart, remove the magnet so you have just the frame left. Mount them in the frame, and then screw them down. as normal. Use the crossover they come with wired into the exsiting wiring. I clipped the speaker wires from the infinity amp, and extended them to the 4ch amp. I have memphis competition speakers (6") in the front doors that use an adapter to replace the 6x9's. Full range in the rear doors. Bass for all is kept to a minimum. For bass, I have a 1ch sub amp that drives 2 x 10" subs. Gives a nice clean clear sound and proper bass without distortion with bass through the regular speakers can give (and I like a nice bass you can feel more than hear.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #6
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater041930
To me the dash speakers are no bass at all lol just vocals, in my eyes. But those need to be replaced as well so the component set seems smart. Just have been reading to that not alot of speakers fit 'perfect' mounting wise. I will be pissed if I spend all the money and have them hit glass or have panels not fit back on correctly or just something stupid.
Max mounting depth is 2 7/8", here is a template for the 6x9 > 6.5 components.

image-3590181641.jpg
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Skater041930
2001 WJ 

Thank you ^

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.