Audio Expert Advice... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Audio Expert Advice...

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-16-2013, 05:01 AM   #1
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Audio Expert Advice...

While I don't 100% agree with some of your recommendations, there is no doubt in my mind that some of you working in the field know the in's and out's of mobile audio and blow my knowledge out of the water. That said....

My current set up is AND WILL REMAIN the same...

I currently have:

The brand new Pioneer Avic-Z150BH 7" double din

The front doors have a set of JL Audio ZR650 CSI 6.5" 2 way components...
They are RMS Power of 85 W, Min Frequency Response 48 Hz, Max Frequency Response 25 kHz, Impedance 4 ohm, Sensitivity 89.5 dB, and Peak Power Handling 255 watt.

They are powered by a JL Audio 300/4v3 Slash series amp...
It is RMS Power Ratings Channel (11V-14.5V):
4 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan.
3 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan.
2 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan.
1.5 ohms: 75 watts x 4 chan.
Bridged RMS Power Rating (11V-14.5V):
Bridged, 3 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 6 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 8 ohms: 150 watts x 2 chan.

The sub in the back is a W7 in a porter box, powered by a W7 and 1000/1V3. I have no complaints about the bass. It flexes the windows when they are slightly cracked and the roof, so no need to change that.

Now for the question. A buddy of mine wrecked his car and gave me a another set of JL ZR650 components basically for free. I bought them as a back up parts in case I ever blew a tweeter or speaker. I ride solo 90% of the time. Have someone else in the passenger seat 9% of the time, and someone in the back seat 1% of the time.

Granted I do have the 4 channel amp designed to power 2 sets of these components; If I take the time to install them, will I actually (in the drivers seat) hear a difference in sound quality / loudness with a second set of these components installed in the rear door factory location? (currently nothing is there)

Again, this is my POS daily and winter driver. Not looking for any crazy custom install like a set of ZR-800 mid bass woofers. Just want to know if it's even worth the time to install the second set in the back seat for MY, DRIVERS SEAT benefit, or if it's a complete waste of time.

Thanks in advance.

elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:28 AM   #2
troy70
2002 WJ 

It's all about personal preference, but I actually fade a bit towards the rear, as it seems to provide a much more robust sound field. IMO, yes, the rears are definitely worth hooking up.
troy70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

My personal preference was strictly if I could hear a beneficial difference VS them solely providing audio to the back seat passengers who are essentially non existent. lol
So if you can hear the difference, that's what I'm looking for! thanx
Unread 09-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #4
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

I would expect a difference Even in the driver seat ears
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
spud2388

It all depends on what you want. "Sound quality" is a relative term and all based on personal preference. Many people, including myself, enjoy having a proper front stage and only really focusing on the front speakers (like at a concert with the sound in front of you). The reason behind this is music in in stereo (right and left channels, no rear channels like surround sound). I will admit, it took a little while to get used to, but after using a quality set of components up front, with proper power, for the last 6+ years, sitting in cars with all 4 speakers going sounds really muddy to me. Its like comparing 2 people talking to you and then 4. Even though the distance from your ears to the speakers is short, the differences are noticeable and the sound waves from each speakers don't hit your ears at the same time (which is why many head units and sound processors have time delay). Again, this is just my personal experience and not saying it is the proper thing to do my any means. I still have rear speakers just in case people ride with me, I can fade them back in a little. But, if it was me and I owned the components already like you do, I would hook them up just because, even if you don't use them.
spud2388 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

I would not expect to see that much of a difference in the drivers seat. In fact it might be too much highs. I wouldnt add the 2nd set.

Thread jack: What did you do to add the double din HU? Any pics?
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #7
briandor
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aestrad1 View Post
I would not expect to see that much of a difference in the drivers seat. In fact it might be too much highs. I wouldnt add the 2nd set.

Thread jack: What did you do to add the double din HU? Any pics?
I see your thread jack and raise you a thread jack answer jack. lol

Anyway, I had a double din in my Laredo. I was using a bezel that was made by someone on the forum (I forget who) that was being sold on ebay. It was mad from acrylic and the fit was good but it had a shiny finish. I am now in the process of upgrading from the Laredo to an Overland and went looking again for a bezel and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390642989015...84.m1497.l2649

It looks very promising and looks to be made of the same plastic that the other dash parts are made of. It also has the posts for attaching the vents to the back which was a major problem for the acrylic because nothing wanted to stick to it. I should have it in a few days and plan to do a review of it when I get it. The rest of the install is just a matter of some creative cutting to make the opening tall enough to fit the double din.
briandor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
DavisI
2002 WJ 

Personally, I prefer the rear speakers. Ive had it setup with and without them. It sounds noticeably fuller/less hollow with all four speakers

Just my opinion and preference.
DavisI is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
aestrad1
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandor View Post
I see your thread jack and raise you a thread jack answer jack. lol

Anyway, I had a double din in my Laredo. I was using a bezel that was made by someone on the forum (I forget who) that was being sold on ebay. It was mad from acrylic and the fit was good but it had a shiny finish. I am now in the process of upgrading from the Laredo to an Overland and went looking again for a bezel and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390642989015...84.m1497.l2649

It looks very promising and looks to be made of the same plastic that the other dash parts are made of. It also has the posts for attaching the vents to the back which was a major problem for the acrylic because nothing wanted to stick to it. I should have it in a few days and plan to do a review of it when I get it. The rest of the install is just a matter of some creative cutting to make the opening tall enough to fit the double din.
Sounds great. Let me know how it works, as I would like to fit a double din in my dash. Thanks!
aestrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

The W7 in a porter enclosure is a hell of a lot of bass. I doubt the mids/highs would be over powered.

I had a shop back home custom fab the double din for me. Cheaper than buying it from anywhere online.

Here is an old pic.

image-179784091.jpg
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
troy70
2002 WJ 

Muddy... I like that. Unfortunately, without fading a bit to the rear, I can hear/feel the lack of sound from behind me. It's really quite annoying.

I guess that not everyone is 6'+ with the seat all the way back. My head is closer to the rear speakers than the fronts.

Some head units can be set to delay each channel by a few milliseconds in order to prevent that muddy sound.
troy70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Kutty
2004 WJ 

I like a proper front stage and usually pull the speakers out of the back or replace them with mid bass and run a delay on the fronts. I haven't setup any after market sound in my WJ yet but I'm still faded 70% to the front on the stock deck.
Kutty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.