a-arm bolt dilemma! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > a-arm bolt dilemma!

Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

a-arm bolt dilemma!

I went to put my spacer in for my a-arm and got it all disassembled and now one bolt won't go in straight! I never really cranked on it but obviously it's threaded diagonally. Question is how the hell do I fix this fiasco, besides replacing my pumpkin? At the moment I removed the spacer and have 2 of the bolts in.

MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
SENECA

1999 WJ 

Put a jack under the pinion and jack it slightly until it lines up enough to thread the bolts in the diff.
1999 Laredo WJ - 4.0L, 6.5" IronRockOffRoad CP lift, 33X10.50X17 BFG MudTerrrains on 2011 JK Wheels w/1.5" spacers,TomWoods front ds,Kevins Dual SS setup,Rusty's adj. trackbar and drop Pitman Arm,RB-1 Nav with in motion hack and Steering wheel controls,10 Disc CD changer,Overland Gauge Cluster,Leather Power Seats,WAAG Brush Guard front and rear w/factory frt tow hooks,WAAG Rear Taillight guards,ROLA Roof Rack,KC OffRoad lights,PEAK Backup camera,Carbon Fiber Dash Trim
SENECA is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #3
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

The diff is threaded diagonally from the bolt not going in straight. I tried putting it in without the arm attached and it goes then leans after a half turn.
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #4
SENECA

1999 WJ 

I bolted the a arm loosley at each end with the spacer and bolts all lightly in place and then just jacked the output shaft up until it lined up,then tightened the ends and the three bolts at the diff.
This was done with the wheels on the ground as well.
1999 Laredo WJ - 4.0L, 6.5" IronRockOffRoad CP lift, 33X10.50X17 BFG MudTerrrains on 2011 JK Wheels w/1.5" spacers,TomWoods front ds,Kevins Dual SS setup,Rusty's adj. trackbar and drop Pitman Arm,RB-1 Nav with in motion hack and Steering wheel controls,10 Disc CD changer,Overland Gauge Cluster,Leather Power Seats,WAAG Brush Guard front and rear w/factory frt tow hooks,WAAG Rear Taillight guards,ROLA Roof Rack,KC OffRoad lights,PEAK Backup camera,Carbon Fiber Dash Trim
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Drill and tap it (straight this time). ;-)

'02 WJ: 4.7L, 5", HP44/9", 231HD, tall & skinny KM2's
'99 XJ: stock
'99 XJ: stolen
'06 XK: sold
231HD build guide
skain8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Drill and tap it (straight this time). ;-)
My guess is it's a PITA? Do I have to drop the axle? Son of a *****! I hate aluminum.
Unread 08-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
SENECA

1999 WJ 

Ok I see one is diagonal ,yikes .i would just back it out and put it in straight and hope it finds its way ,otherwise tap the threads straightLol
Unread 08-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ View Post
I went to put my spacer in for my a-arm and got it all disassembled and now one bolt won't go in straight! I never really cranked on it but obviously it's threaded diagonally. Question is how the hell do I fix this fiasco, besides replacing my pumpkin? At the moment I removed the spacer and have 2 of the bolts in.
If you just bought the bolts it could be that the lead thread on the offending bolt was damaged causing it to cross thread. The other possibility is the bolt was in the wrong bin in the hardware store and it is the wrong thread pitch, it could even be an inch bolt instead of a metric bolt.

I would get a nut the same pitch as the threads in the diff and see if the bolt will screw in by hand. If the bolt is OK shine a light in the threaded hole in the diff and see how many threads look damaged, if it is only a few threads you may be able to use an 82* countersink to remove the first few damaged threads without risking damaging the deeper threads.

If worse comes to worse and you have to chase the threads with a tap buy a 4 fluted tap. They tend to have a long tapered lead in so they go in straighter when hand tapping or cleaning up existing threads than a two fluted tap.
Tollmtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

I've looked at home depot and several auto parts stores and can't find the damn tap That's the right size. Nothing bigger than 1/2" or 12 for the metric size. Anyone know where to find such an item off hand? Or the bolt specs so I can order one?
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #10
fast540
1999 WJ 

Harbor freight in Santa Rosa. It'll be cheap quality but for a one time use it'll be fine and if u need a tap handle lemme know I'm in Marin all day tomorrow
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
Harbor freight in Santa Rosa. It'll be cheap quality but for a one time use it'll be fine and if u need a tap handle lemme know I'm in Marin all day tomorrow
Thanks. HF just moved into San Rafael so I'll go after work.
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #12
narnwv

2000 WJ 

HF didn't have one big enough when I had to do it.

I mis-threaded one too, drove around for 2 years with only 2 bolts in it (I DONT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL!!!!)

I finally found one at Fastenal.

BTW-- It's M14x1.75

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
HF didn't have one big enough when I had to do it.

I mis-threaded one too, drove around for 2 years with only 2 bolts in it (I DONT RECOMMEND THIS AT ALL!!!!)

I finally found one at Fastenal.

BTW-- It's M14x1.75
Thank you Narn! Guess I'll be ordering one tonight.
Edit: nevermind there's one 3 miles from my house. Ha-ha
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #14
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyWJ View Post
Thank you Narn! Guess I'll be ordering one tonight.
Edit: nevermind there's one 3 miles from my house. Ha-ha
The factory bolts I have and the bolts I.R.O. shipped with their spacer are 14mm coarse 2.0mm pitch as near as I can tell. You may want to bring a bolt with you and check that out.
Tollmtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Yes, take a bolt with you. I could be mistaken.

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.