ARB Air Lockers VS. Detroit Lockers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ARB Air Lockers VS. Detroit Lockers?

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
kingplay334
2001 WJ 

ARB Air Lockers VS. Detroit Lockers?

I don't know much about cars but i kept hearing a lot of positive talk about lockers do i did a bit of research. I think i'd be a good idea to invest in locking differential along with a 4" lift and 33" tyres. Im already ripping my pockets apart trying to put together money for the lift/tyres/rims, but i want lockers too! so i guess i'll have to wait to get all that becuase i'd like to get lockers with that stuff all at once.
anywho, I'd like info/opinions of people who have lockers on which would be best to get and why.
thanks.

Unread 12-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Personally, I would go with the Detroits. Less hassle and you know they'll always be locked. Not to mention they are cheaper.

I haven't been a fan of the ARBs ever since a buddy of mine had some in the f/r of his XJ. They took forever to lock up and were unreliable. He probably rebuilt them 2 or 3 times when he had the Jeep.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
WJ04
2004 WJ 

I run an Aussie (auto locker) in the rear and an OX (selectable) in the front, I love them both
2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Still to come: Flowmaster 50suv

October 2011 GCOTM Winner

Some of my videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/LockedWJ?feature=mhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjp2 View Post
I burnout on puppies and kittens
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniacx View Post
Lets not and say we didn't.
WJ04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
joelwg
2005 WJ 

If you have a rear dana 44a there is no arb air locker made for it, as far as I know?
joelwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelwg View Post
If you have a rear dana 44a there is no arb air locker made for it, as far as I know?
True only Aussie and Spartan lockers for the 44hd (44a)
2004 WJ Laredo-selectrac 242-I6- Custom XJ intake w/Amsoil cone filter- PSC HD Pump & Res- PSC ported box- B&M trans cooler- B&M PS cooler- Custom chevy 1 Ton over the knuckle steering- Rough Stuff 1 Ton tierod & draglink ends- Saguaro 4x4 Front 3/4" shackles, Rear hitch & Warn 3/4" shackle-Mopar Front skid,Gastank skid -IRO TC skid- RRO super sliders- 6.5'' IRO critical path lift -IRO extended rear arms-Bilstein 5125 shocks -IRO F&R 6.5'' Bump stops-Carolina drive shaft-16x7 black soft 8's - 34'' Super swampers-Yukon 4.11 gears -Ultimate RCV shafts - LockRight Locked ECGS bolt in rear D60 -35 spline Chomloy shafts -BTF HD diff cover -IRO Adj A-arm-OX Locked super D30 -OX HD diff cover -OX drive away lock-Rock Krawler d30 truss-Stillen rotors & Matrix pads-JKS Adj Track Bar-JKS Quicker discos -Relocated OME SD-40 Steering Stabilizer-BDS stabilizer brackets-Relocated washer bottle-Removed rear sway bar-Cobra CB-TomTom one XL navi-alpine deck

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-07-2010, 05:53 PM   #6
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

If you do alot of city driving the ARB is the way to go if you can.100% invisible on the street until you want them locked.No need to adjust your driving style.Granted the Detroit is a very good auto locker also.

I have had a ARB for 5 years now and never had a issue,always worked when I pushed the button,from -30 degrees to over 100 degrees temps.The ARB's install is key,a good install makes for problem free operation.
Unread 12-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i've had a couple aussies in a couple jeeps, after switching to an e-locker in my current axle i'll never go back to an auto locker. so much nicer when you're in tight situations.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
Planetcat
2004 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
i've had a couple aussies in a couple jeeps, after switching to an e-locker in my current axle i'll never go back to an auto locker. so much nicer when you're in tight situations.
I would trade my left nut for an eLocker in the D44A.
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
tsconver
2003 WJ 

I love my ARBs, I have them in both the front and rear axles. The Dana 30 in the front and Dana 44 in the rear. Never had a an issue with them not locking when I needed them. I have had the 30 for over a year and the 44 since I did the axle swap last summer to the iron D44.

I have had auto lockers like the Aussie in the rear and they are un predictable. They will unlock when you do not want them to and lock when you want them open. They also cause some degree of torque steer, that is it will pull one direction under acceleration and the other on coast. Also on ice or packed snow they are very dangerous to an unexperienced dirver.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #10
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

since you say you don't know much about the subject, use your rig a little 1st before you drop coin on something you might not even need. also, unless you can set-up gears yourself the labor is gonna be a few hundred dollars to install either of those lockers (unless u want the Detroit EZ locker which I would not recommend) more for the ARB since you have air lines and a switch, and don't forget the compressor that's needed with it. I see too many well built rigs running fire roads and bypassing anything that requires some skill driving, learn how to drive and pick lines, invest in recovery equipment and skids
Unread 12-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #11
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Question for you: Does your rig have SelecTrac, QuadraTracII or QuadraDrive?

This can force the issue and make you choose a particular route. I agree with most...you probably don't need them, at least not right now. Learn how to wheel first and then decide if you need more.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 05:11 AM   #12
kingplay334
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Question for you: Does your rig have SelecTrac, QuadraTracII or QuadraDrive?

This can force the issue and make you choose a particular route. I agree with most...you probably don't need them, at least not right now. Learn how to wheel first and then decide if you need more.
Quadradrive II. I will get them later on, not now. But its good info to know what you're getting into and do research on it before hand in my opinion, plus i don't know much about cars overall so its just good learning.

anywho, I found you can also get part-time lockers that can be turned on and off? would this setup work on the WJ?
Unread 12-09-2010, 05:24 AM   #13
WJ04
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingplay334 View Post
Quadradrive II. I will get them later on, not now. But its good info to know what you're getting into and do research on it before hand in my opinion, plus i don't know much about cars overall so its just good learning.

anywho, I found you can also get part-time lockers that can be turned on and off? would this setup work on the WJ?
Those lockers you are talking about are called selectable lockers. Thats what ARB, OX, and Aburn are. Yes they can be used in WJ's but not on the rear 44hd. only 2 automatic (lunchbox) lockers will work for that rear axle.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingplay334 View Post

Ok...well QuadraDrive II wasn't released until the WK came out. You either have QuadraTrac II or QuadraDrive.

If you have QuadraTrac II, then you can use any number of lockers in the front end but there are only two options for the rear end. Up front I would really recommend a selectable locker or a limited slip to maintain street civility. Thankfully we have a very common Dana 30 front axle so there are lots of options available. Out back is another story. You only have two options, both automatic/full-time lockers. The Spartan and the Aussie. They work basically the same but the Spartan is cheaper.

If you have QuadraDrive, then you don't have many options at all. You can't install lockers into QuadraDrive axles without replacing the axle shafts and the axle carrier and re-setting the gear lash. Basically you need to start out with open differentials in order to make it work. But luckily, QD is a very good system and I doubt you will get hardcore enough that you NEED lockers over QuadraDrive.
billzcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
kingplay334
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billzcat1 View Post
Ok...well QuadraDrive II wasn't released until the WK came out. You either have QuadraTrac II or QuadraDrive.

If you have QuadraTrac II, then you can use any number of lockers in the front end but there are only two options for the rear end. Up front I would really recommend a selectable locker or a limited slip to maintain street civility. Thankfully we have a very common Dana 30 front axle so there are lots of options available. Out back is another story. You only have two options, both automatic/full-time lockers. The Spartan and the Aussie. They work basically the same but the Spartan is cheaper.

If you have QuadraDrive, then you don't have many options at all. You can't install lockers into QuadraDrive axles without replacing the axle shafts and the axle carrier and re-setting the gear lash. Basically you need to start out with open differentials in order to make it work. But luckily, QD is a very good system and I doubt you will get hardcore enough that you NEED lockers over QuadraDrive.
Quadratrac II, sorry i was in a rush to go to school. :P

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.