AppRadio2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > AppRadio2

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

Wj AppRadio2

Well, I finally got my AppRadio2 installed this past weekend. I know there are others on here who have done the same, and it seems most people are happy with the unit. So far, so good for me.

I have a 99 Limited w/ Infinity sound system, tape deck and 10 disc changer and use a Verizon Galaxy Nexus phone, unlocked, rooted and running the stock setup.

Here is what I used:
1) Pioneer AppRadio2 - I got my appradio2 off of eBay, but there is a really good deal on Amazon right now, $340 for a new deck, qualifies for Amazon Prime (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SPH-DA.../dp/B006Y44PCU).

2) Pioneer CDAH200C Android connection kit (http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-CDAH20...p/B007YCZT58)- Again, I got mine off of eBay. Be careful and make SURE that your phone has an mhl port before you buy this (ex: Samsung phones starting with, I think, the Galaxy II use a special 11 pin connector that requires an mhl adapter or special Samsung cable.). It seems like most Android phones will work with the radio, it is mostly a question of the cable setup. There are also cheaper ways to go if you do not want to spend the $ on this kit. I got a good deal and am glad I bought it so I did not have to mess around piecing something together.

3) Crutchfield Wiring Harness - (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207018...-Harness.html?) - I am glad I bought this as well. Tedious to solder and tape all the wires, but excellent directions and flawless application. There was no accounting for the black cable going into the back of the stock deck with a basic blade connector. I called Crutchfield support and they confirmed it was a ground that could be bundled with the other grounds.

4) Axxess ASWC (steering wheel control adapter module) (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120ASWC/Axxess-ASWC.html?) - I bought this from Crutchfield to have access to their support, but could have gotten it $20 cheaper on ebay. There are only 3 wires to hookup (power, ground, SWC wire from back of old deck) and the unit found the code for my vehicle first time around. I recommend just finding the cheapest price and going that route. I wish I had just bought it off of eBay.

5) Parking brake bypass module (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008NQL00W/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1)

I ran a dedicated 12ga ground to one of the bolts behind the center airbag (?) module where there is already something grounded. It seems to be working out well.

First, the Pioneer Appradio setup. Overall, I don't have any major complaints, really. I think they could have done a better job integrating the core radio with the app features, but it works well enough. You do have to have both the Appradio app and the Pioneer Car Keyboard installed on your phone. No big deal to me. With the bypass module I can use any feature any time, which is nice. It is also nice that the deck easily recognizes my phone no matter when I plug it in, unlike the ARLiberator application. From what I have seen/read, Google maps and nav is not compatible with the HU GPS (which gets great signal for me). Some people say it works fine with ARL, I can't get it to work. There is a Nav program for the radio that seems to work OK and is nice, b/c it has you DL maps by state so you can use it offline. It is not as detailed as Google, though. The other option is Waze. It seems like a pretty intense app, which is nice in some ways, but sketches me out having a map app that is so tightly integrated with social networking sites.

I have ArLiberator and can't say that I am really pleased with it so far. The app costs $30. There is a pretty solid support forum for it, which is nice, and the developers seem really responsive. Overall it just seems to be really finicky and I don't really have patience for it. As an example, my phone will only connect with ARL if I have the phone plugged in before I start my car. I often forget since I am usually warming up my car and am annoyed that I have to shut the car off or not use the app. Maybe I can get it to work if I mess with it more, but I am already losing patience. I also have to have the phone connected until after I shut the car off or else it messes up the connection and my auto screen rotation. It also seems like my phone radios are a bit jacked using the app. Maybe it has to do with rooting, but my primary problems come while using ARL. I still have the application on my phone, but think I will end up primarily using the Pioneer app since I have access to my phone homescreen and all my apps.

Parking brake bypass listed above works great. Easy install.
Steering wheel controls work great. Easy install.
Packing all the cables and wires behind the dash is silly, a very tight fit. I ended up putting the HDMI->mhl box and cables under the center console, drilled out a hole in the console and put a grommet through that is a nice fit for the mhl cable. I just need to figure out what kind of phone holder I want, now.
I bought the bezel from a forum member and it is OK, but I need to tweak it to fill in the gaps and then recover it with black vinyl or something (can't find Desert Zambrano anywhere).

Overall, a decent unit and I am happy with the final product.

img_20130217_153911.jpg  
itsparadoxical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Pics? I really love mine I can post pics if you want.
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #3
itsparadoxical
1999 WJ 

I posted one picture. What else should I be posting pictures of, the different screens in action?
itsparadoxical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
Timbo24
2000 WJ 

Just it in your jeep
Timbo24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
appradio2 , double din , radio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.