Anyone in the Cincinnati, Dayton, Northern Kentucky area???? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone in the Cincinnati, Dayton, Northern Kentucky area????

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #16
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

My 2001 is in getting a jy transmission right now for the same symptoms. Mine broke a snap ring that retains the pressure plate.

Good luck

[SIZE="3"][B]2001 WJ Laredo 4.0[/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]Ron [/COLOR][COLOR="White"]Paul[/COLOR][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Blue"] 2012[/COLOR]
"Freedoms Popular"
ras2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #17
Jeepgirl2010

How do you feel about this advice? But in my case the trans temp light is NOT coming on.

"There are a couple possible causes for your problem. One would be and electrical problem with the trans, likely with the governor pressure transducer or it's wiring. This is mounted to the right side of the valve body in the trans. It also acts as the transmission temperature sensor. If the governor pressure transducer fails it will definitely cause problems with shifting, and it can also turn the trans temp light on when the fluid isn't actually overheating.

The other possible cause would be that the trans is actually overheating. It would start by turning on the overdrive off light and locking out fourth gear, and would progress to the trans temp light coming on. This would most likely be from a plugged trans cooling system, whether it's in the cooler in the radiator or the torque converter drainback valve in the pressure line. This is a check valve that can get plugged or stick closed. If the cooler is plugged there will be no cooling so it will give the lights you saw, and it can also cause line pressure to drop off far enough that there will be no shifting out of first gear."
Jeepgirl2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #18
stratons_yj
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgirl2010 View Post
How do you feel about this advice? But in my case the trans temp light is NOT coming on.

"There are a couple possible causes for your problem. One would be and electrical problem with the trans, likely with the governor pressure transducer or it's wiring. This is mounted to the right side of the valve body in the trans. It also acts as the transmission temperature sensor. If the governor pressure transducer fails it will definitely cause problems with shifting, and it can also turn the trans temp light on when the fluid isn't actually overheating.

The other possible cause would be that the trans is actually overheating. It would start by turning on the overdrive off light and locking out fourth gear, and would progress to the trans temp light coming on. This would most likely be from a plugged trans cooling system, whether it's in the cooler in the radiator or the torque converter drainback valve in the pressure line. This is a check valve that can get plugged or stick closed. If the cooler is plugged there will be no cooling so it will give the lights you saw, and it can also cause line pressure to drop off far enough that there will be no shifting out of first gear."
I forgot about the governer pressure sensor...a very very common problem on the 6 cylinders.

I still dont know too much about the 6 cylinder unfortunately....there are a lot of people who have had this problem and I wish they would chip in on it.
stratons_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:16 PM   #19
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

How many miles do you have?

[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
[COLOR="Red"]Ron [/COLOR][COLOR="White"]Paul[/COLOR][COLOR="White"][/COLOR][/B][COLOR="Blue"] 2012[/COLOR]
"Freedoms Popular"
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #20
Jeepgirl2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras2001wj View Post
How many miles do you have?
Around 150K give or take.
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #21
Jeepgirl2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratons_yj View Post
I forgot about the governer pressure sensor...a very very common problem on the 6 cylinders.

I still dont know too much about the 6 cylinder unfortunately....there are a lot of people who have had this problem and I wish they would chip in on it.

Yea i kinda figured this was a common problem, I should have titled the thread differently to get more input. Oh well.

Is the pressure sensor hard to replace?

Last edited by Jeepgirl2010; 03-15-2010 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: More info
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #22
joburocks
1996 ZJ 

Wouldn't hurt to toss a message up at the regional forums either.

South East USA- (VA, KY, TN, NC, SC, GA, FL, PR, AL, MS, VI)
would be my first choice.
or

Great Lakes USA - (WI, IL, IN, MI, OH)

Wish I had some technical stuff for you on the trans, but they are the great mystery to me. Good luck, hope you don't need a new one.
joburocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:36 PM   #23
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

Unfortunately that is a pretty long life for a stock 42re and without dropping the pan to see what it looks like in there, it is hard to tell if it's worth throwing parts at.

[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
"Freedoms Popular"
Unread 03-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #24
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

Your symptoms sound extremely similar to what mine was doing, and with 9 months of damage done (I did it for 4 months), I would guess that you would face replacing hard parts, whereas a junkyard transmission may be your best bet if the mileage is low enough.

If I weren't almost 3 hours north of you, I would gladly help, but I'm in the same shoes and just scraped $600 together to get my transmission replaced just so I could get back to work.

[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
"Freedoms Popular"
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #25
Jeepgirl2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ras2001wj View Post
Your symptoms sound extremely similar to what mine was doing, and with 9 months of damage done (I did it for 4 months), I would guess that you would face replacing hard parts, whereas a junkyard transmission may be your best bet if the mileage is low enough.

If I weren't almost 3 hours north of you, I would gladly help, but I'm in the same shoes and just scraped $600 together to get my transmission replaced just so I could get back to work.

Well thanks for the offer. Did you get your new trans at a junk yard and have a shop put it in?
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:07 PM   #26
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

My mechanic is doing it for me. I drove down to ****'s auto salvage in Findley when I found a trans for $235 with only 55k out of an 04.

Well, the timing of me finding it on time couldn't have sucked more, my mechanic left to go to Florida with my Jeep on the lift, but being a one man operation, I'm getting it back after a weeks wait tomorrow.

[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
"Freedoms Popular"
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:46 PM   #27
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

is a semi-common first name really that bad?

[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
"Freedoms Popular"
Unread 03-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #28
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Is your check engine light coming on at all? Like during the start up check?

Get the codes, autozone will check them for you. Post what you get.

The temp/gov pressure sensor is a common failure. You should replace the solenoid too. Its an easy fix if nothing hard has been damaged. You should have the cooler line check valve removed and the cooler flushed as well.
The sensor is staring you in the face when you drop the pan. You need the same tools to replace it as you do to change the filter.

After nine months I'd expect that trans to drop a 10lb baby on you soon. (or a similar sized rebuild bill)

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2010, 07:48 AM   #29
Jeepgirl2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Is your check engine light coming on at all? Like during the start up check?

Get the codes, autozone will check them for you. Post what you get.

The temp/gov pressure sensor is a common failure. You should replace the solenoid too. Its an easy fix if nothing hard has been damaged. You should have the cooler line check valve removed and the cooler flushed as well.
The sensor is staring you in the face when you drop the pan. You need the same tools to replace it as you do to change the filter.

After nine months I'd expect that trans to drop a 10lb baby on you soon. (or a similar sized rebuild bill)

No the check engine light isn't coming on at all. I will attempt to drive to autozone and see if a code pops up anyhow.

Thanks for the advice, where would you suggest buying a new solenoid, and temp/gov pressure sensor? Also, where and what brand of cooler fluid should I buy after flushing the system? Should I get it all at autozone?

"After nine months I'd expect that trans to drop a 10lb baby on you soon. (or a similar sized rebuild bill)"

Are you saying that when I drop the pan, I am going to find a heap of metal shavings and whatnot?
Unread 03-16-2010, 01:16 PM   #30
ras2001wj
2001 WJ 

The cooler just cools the transmission fluid. Buy only ATF 4

I don't know if Auto Zone sells the sensors at all, you may have to order one online or find a transmission parts supplier.

Some metal shavings are fine, but a lot aren't good.

[SIZE="2"][B]2" BB
245/75R16 [/B][/SIZE]
[B]
"Freedoms Popular"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.