Anyone in the Cincinnati, Dayton, Northern Kentucky area???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone in the Cincinnati, Dayton, Northern Kentucky area????

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Reply
Unread 03-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #1
Jeepgirl2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15
Anyone in the Cincinnati, Dayton, Northern Kentucky area????

Anyone in the Cincinnati, Dayton, Northern Kentucky area willing to help me diagnose my transmission troubles. My OD will not turn on, and it won't shift out of first until about 4500 rpms. I checked the trans fluid it was horribly low, so I filled it back up, it ran just fine for a day then back to the same problems. Also, a repair shop said the my trans temp sensor is out. This has been going on for 9 months, but has finally turned for the worse.

I was hoping someone with expertise could come look at it and give me advice. I am on a very tight budget.

Thank you!!!

Jeepgirl2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:08 PM   #2
stratons_yj
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hillsboro,OH
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgirl2010 View Post
Anyone in the Cincinnati, Dayton, Northern Kentucky area willing to help me diagnose my transmission troubles. My OD will not turn on, and it won't shift out of first until about 4500 rpms. I checked the trans fluid it was horribly low, so I filled it back up, it ran just fine for a day then back to the same problems. Also, a repair shop said the my trans temp sensor is out. This has been going on for 9 months, but has finally turned for the worse.

I was hoping someone with expertise could come look at it and give me advice. I am on a very tight budget.

Thank you!!!
Sounds like a speed sensor.....do you have a 6 cylinder or 8?
stratons_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
Jeepgirl2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratons_yj View Post
Sounds like a speed sensor.....do you have a 6 cylinder or 8?
Thank you for the reply, it is a V6. 2001 Grand cherokee
Jeepgirl2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
WJ-matt
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 320
Quote:
V6. 2001 Grand cherokee
Do you mean inline 6
__________________
- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/wj-matt-build-1459459/
- Dude i think i know what your noise is...your jeep is telling me i need a beer....and your gonna need a bigger wallet.
- www.rcoverload.com
WJ-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Jeepgirl2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-matt View Post
Do you mean inline 6

4.0L L6 It's the limited. Is that the inline 6??
Jeepgirl2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
WJ-matt
Registered User
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 320
Quote:
4.0L L6 It's the limited. Is that the inline 6??
For engines jeep made(for that model) either the 4.0L inline 6, 4.7L V8, or the 5.2L V8 im gunna guess that if you have a six cylinder its the inline six 4.0L. Not a V6
__________________
- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/wj-matt-build-1459459/
- Dude i think i know what your noise is...your jeep is telling me i need a beer....and your gonna need a bigger wallet.
- www.rcoverload.com

Last edited by WJ-matt; 03-15-2010 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: need to add something
WJ-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
stratons_yj
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hillsboro,OH
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-matt View Post
For engines jeep made(for that model) either the 4.0L inline 6, 4.7L V8, or the 5.2L V8 im gunna guess that if you have a six cylinder its the inline six 4.0L. Not a V6
No 5.2's in a WJ...
stratons_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
stratons_yj
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hillsboro,OH
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgirl2010 View Post
4.0L L6 It's the limited. Is that the inline 6??
Is your cladding the same color as your jeep or is it grey?
stratons_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
Jeepgirl2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Overview of Used 2001 Grand Cherokee Cars at Automotive.com

The website above states that it is a 4.0L L6.

Thanks for the responses, any ideas of what it could be? I have read that if it is the speed sensor that it can be easily fixed. And that the part cost around $20??
Jeepgirl2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #10
stratons_yj
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hillsboro,OH
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgirl2010 View Post
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee | Overview of Used 2001 Grand Cherokee Cars at Automotive.com

The website above states that it is a 4.0L L6.

Thanks for the responses, any ideas of what it could be? I have read that if it is the speed sensor that it can be easily fixed. And that the part cost around $20??
A quick way that you can tell if it is a V8 or I6 is open the hood up and if there is a large black rectangle box that says "4.7 V8 Power Tech" than its a V8.

And yes it a very simple fix if that is it....one bolt holds it in and a wire connector....tops 10 minutes to change out.
stratons_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Jeepgirl2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15
My jeep is the dark blue color and its the I6 sorry about the confusion. So besides it possibly being the speed sensor is there anything else that I should do/check/replace?
Jeepgirl2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #12
stratons_yj
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hillsboro,OH
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgirl2010 View Post
My jeep is the dark blue color and its the I6 sorry about the confusion. So besides it possibly being the speed sensor is there anything else that I should do/check/replace?
Do you have a check engine light on?
stratons_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #13
Jeepgirl2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratons_yj View Post
A quick way that you can tell if it is a V8 or I6 is open the hood up and if there is a large black rectangle box that says "4.7 V8 Power Tech" than its a V8.

And yes it a very simple fix if that is it....one bolt holds it in and a wire connector....tops 10 minutes to change out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratons_yj View Post
Do you have a check engine light on?
No check engine light is not on, or does not come on. I had it in the shop not too long ago and they mentioned that my Trans temp gauge is faulty and needs replaced?? could that be a reason?? Is that easily replaced as well?
Jeepgirl2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #14
stratons_yj
Registered User
2001 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Hillsboro,OH
Posts: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepgirl2010 View Post
No check engine light is not on, or does not come on. I had it in the shop not too long ago and they mentioned that my Trans temp gauge is faulty and needs replaced?? could that be a reason?? Is that easily replaced as well?

Hmmm....I know a couple guys who have had to replace the speed sensor but they knew that was it because thats what the code was.

I dont think Grand Cherokee's have a trans temp gauge, I know there is a light to warn you of the trans temp...but no gauge (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).

I would go to an Auto Zone or O'Reilly (Or one of the numerous auto parts places) and ask them to run a scanner to see if there is a code
stratons_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Jeepgirl2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 15
I will try but I can't drive over 35 - 40 Mph and the trans is over heating I believe. How do you post pictures??
Jeepgirl2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.