Anyone change their power steering gear box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone change their power steering gear box?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #1
jparr701
1999 WJ 

Anyone change their power steering gear box?

Me gear box has a lot of play in it. Makes for a fun drive on the highway. How hard is it to change?

jparr701 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
kastner03
2000 WJ 

just did mine last week it wasnt all that bad to do but i had a lift to work on the hardest part was getting the damn pitman arm off the old one took a ton of heat and broke 2 pullers but it came off spray the hose connectoins and all the bolts the day before with some pb blaster that should help
kastner03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
jparr701
1999 WJ 

I'll spray it down a few times during the week and probably do it over the weekend. I should probably get e better puller tho. Thanks.
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
GrandPrix104
1999 WJ 

I just rented the puller at autozone and that worked fine on mine. Get a good breaker bar to pry on it though. Also the PB blaster is a really good idea. The gear is not that hard to change at all, just remove the airbox, inner fender lining, washer fluid bottle (that one is a pain), one bolt on the input shaft from the steering wheel, and then there are four bolts that hold it to the frame.

I also noticed that you plan on adding a track bar in the future. If you still have the stock one, check for play there too. When I replaced mine a lot of the bump steer and wander went away and so the steering felt a lot tighter.
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
nickblack
1999 WJ 

It is well worth buying a new Pitman arm for $20 than wrestle the old one off. It is a biatch.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
kastner03
2000 WJ 

it would be alot easier to have a spare pitman arm laying there incase the other one wont pop off then you wont be stuck without a vechicle however i have no idea where u can pick up one advance, autozone, napa and orielleys all said they couldnt get one
kastner03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #7
nickblack
1999 WJ 

Rock Auto, but may take a day or 2.
nickblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
jparr701
1999 WJ 

New track bar is in along with all new tre's. The wonder is in the the steering gear box. O Reilly has the box but not sure about the arm tho. Good idea. I'll check.
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
Cebby
2000 WJ 

Pics here for changing the box:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...times-1152925/
2000 WJ Laredo 4.0 4x4 Taupe Frost - Clayton LA Front/Rear | IRO 3" Springs + 3/4" KOR | Bilstein Shocks | JKS Discos/Trackbar/Draglink & Tierod | Dual KOR Stabs | Spidertrax Spacers | 265/70R17 Duratrac's on JK 17's | Black Magic Brakes w/Centric Rotors | Akebono Calipers | Griffin Rad | K&N Drop in | Magnaflow Cat & Muffler shorty setup | Diehard Platinum (Odyssey) | RB1-NAV-Sirius-Chg-iPod | OEM Tow Hooks F/R
Cebby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
jparr701
1999 WJ 

Nice! Thanks. Have tomorrow off so it I can get the pump maybe I'll give it a go.
Unread 03-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Did my steering gear a few months ago. I used my pitman arm puller. They only cost $15 at Harbor Freight. I bought it originally to do the steering stabilizer on my old ZJ. Good tool to have.
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
WJWKXJZJ
2007 WK 

Lower the sway bar by disconnecting the frame mounts. Makes fumbling with the washer bottle easier, and a bit more clearance to work, AFTER you pull the pitman arm off.

And yes, for some reason mine was a b!ach too.... heat and beat. I'd rather keep the OEM one than risk a "made in china" replacement, but that's just me. It's not a 'wear item' so I wouldn't replace it if I could get it off successfully.

2005 LJ Rubicon.... sold, not forgotten.
WJWKXJZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #13
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Any of you try adjusting the play in the steering box before replacing it?
I did this in my ZJ and it helped, and going to try the WJ soon as it has a tiny bit of play.

On the top of the gearbox there is a nut around an allen screw. Use a wrench and loosen the nut while holding the allen.
Then turn the allen in about 1/8-1/4 of a turn then tighten the nut back up. Go for a test drive. Repeat if necessary but if you end up having to turn the allen in too far the box will get too tight and won't return to center when going around corners etc which means that the steering box needs to be replaced.

2007 VW Touareg V10 TDI gobs of torque!

2004 Audi A8L Luxobarge

2008 Z06 cammed and slammed
yrkoverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
jparr701
1999 WJ 

YRKOVERLAND I did it your way. First time wasn't quite enough second time way to much and made steering tight and would not return to center but the third time I think will be just right. The morning commute in rush hour heading towards Chicago will be the true test, especially with the high winds we are having right now. I'll let you know for sure if it fixes it but definitely a lot better around town. Thanks
Unread 03-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #15
yrkoverland
2000 WJ 

Awesome glad to hear it worked so far, how was the drive in rush hour?

2007 VW Touareg V10 TDI gobs of torque!

2004 Audi A8L Luxobarge

2008 Z06 cammed and slammed
yrkoverland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.