anybody pull people out of mud/snow? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > anybody pull people out of mud/snow?

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-14-2014, 11:40 AM   #16
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4198 View Post
i dont get my license until October, but i would like to know how you pull people out if they dont have tow hooks/loops/trailer hitches. is there a certain place to do it, and what is the best method for pulling people out? and will the v8 have the weight/power ratio to do it??
As a new driver, You should not be considering this. Also, the number of instances where you would have to pull someone out would be very limited anyways.
Best thing you can do is have a fully charged cell phone and call a tow truck for them as other have said.

A jeep having the capabilities it has means its less libel to get stuck (but they can and do) and it can get itself out of situations that would strand other vehicles.
Towing is not a good thing. So many things can go wrong that can damage things, or worse, hurt someone. You don't want those headaches.

Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:52 AM   #17
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

This was also discussed over here

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/go...w-bank-521627/

Some situations will keep you covered by the Good Samaritan act, but a good lawyer could still make you pay.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #18
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
The law in most states is - if you help someone pull a stuck vehicle, waver or not, you assume all liability and responsibility. If you tear their unibody car in half yanking on it, Its all on you.Even if you handed them the straps and let them hook it up.

Stop, offer to call them a tow truck, move on.
Up here, we have the good Samaritan law... basically, if you offer to help someone, and they accept (knowing full well you are NOT a professional nor doing it for a profit), they accept that if any damage occurs, you are not liable.
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #19
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo View Post
Up here, we have the good Samaritan law... basically, if you offer to help someone, and they accept (knowing full well you are NOT a professional nor doing it for a profit), they accept that if any damage occurs, you are not liable.
In a case like that, you may not be civilly liable for damages, but, you could still be criminally liable for modifying the scene of an accident. The take away from this whole discussion, is CYA (Cover Your ***).

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #20
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

To the OP, since you are a minor - if you damage someone's car trying to pull them out of a ditch - its on your parents dime. Just something to think about.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM   #21
aga080
2002 WJ 

i have pulled out my share of people with the WJ, ive pulled them out with straps attached to the front and rear of my frame in reverse/drive

i do not recommend pulling out someone in reverse, this was for a small car and in avoidance of possibly getting myself stuck as well

never left me stranded, or anyone else for that matter

edit: as far as damaging other cars from straps, this is almost inevitable with the standard car unless it is equiped with a mountable tow hook (like most german vehicles)

look for a tow hook location first, if not try to get it as low on the frame as possible

FYI my friends have been stuck in their hondas and they have removed bumpers to get pulled out of spots
aga080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #22
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockracer View Post
I never take money if offered.

They way laws are these days it is best for them to connect the strap them sleeves. I had a situation back in 2006 where a guy in a Mitsubishi needed to be pulled out, I backed up to him and seen a crack in his bumper. I connected the strap to my Durango and handed the other end to him. He kept trying to get me to connect it to his car and I refused to. I told him to make sure he is hooking it to steel ( later found out I just placed the hook on the corner bumper support). Sure enough, I pulled vary slowly and pulled his inner bumper support with everything else attached right off. He called the cops on my wife and I. Cops showed up and asked did he stop you two? yes sir he did, ok, did you connect to his vehicle? No sir, I handed the strap to him, ok, well you two have a good day.

So, you can see how I may have been held responsible for the damages to his vehicle. Not worth the risk!
Agreed! I've been in a similar situation
Johnyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #23
bessyboy
2001 WJ 

Pulled my buddy out of almost 2ft of snow while I was in about 6" of snow. He has a 2013 F150 Crewcab 6.5ft bed. I used a harbor freight tow hook for a receiver

Also pulled an expedition on 35s that was frame deep in a mud puddle. Using the same hook
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:20 PM   #24
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

Use d-rings they are safer
Unread 03-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #25
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

My sister in laws best friend got stuck deep. So a guy in a wrangler offered to help pull him out but could not get underneath so he hooked up to the trunk latch...
Unread 03-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #26
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopdc78 View Post
My sister in laws best friend got stuck deep. So a guy in a wrangler offered to help pull him out but could not get underneath so he hooked up to the trunk latch...
You're ****in me right?
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:10 PM   #27
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnyre View Post

You're ****in me right?
Go on YouTube and type in jeep gets body ripped off! It's painful to watch they hook to the roll bar on top of pulling from the side.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:27 PM   #28
Johnyre
2002 WJ 

No bueno. Some people are retarded
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:38 AM   #29
Jonathanjr1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If its a car I would most likely avoid pulling it out. Most cars are too low to be pulled out by a jeep, because the strap can be at an angle and would most likely rip the bumper off. If it was a truck or suv there isn't realy a problem pulling those out because their tow points tend to be higher up. You should also learn how to drive better in the weather before trying to recover someone

Some tips for revovery.
1.dont use a frayed,broken or a strap with a knot in it.(these all weaken straps)
2.use drings much safer than a hook and they can never slip off.
3. Make sure to use a point that is ment for recovery on your vehicle and others.
4. If you think its out of your abilities then don't do it let a professional do it.
5.get rated recovery gear.
Jonathanjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2014, 05:22 AM   #30
MWF
2002 WJ 

Carry a shovel.

Use common sense.

Be a good samaritan.

I do a lot of volunteer work for the emergency services when it snows. It's amazing what a bit of shovelling and a push can achieve and it's even more amazing just how perilous a situation people can put themselves in. Last year at night I stumbled across a tiny hatch back beached in a snowdrift down a rarely used country lane, he had his wife and newly born in the car, no warm clothes, just determined to get to a hotel. Shovel - push - out. Later, around midnight, I was on the top of a mountain peak on a closed road littered with abandoned cars and was flashed down by a guy and his GF wedged in a deep bank of previously ploughed snow in an ex military Landrover defender (still on the military tires but no shovel or strap). He wanted me to pull him out, but I insisted on digging while he sat inside and got warm. Some types of deep snow can interlock and give the same resistance as swamp mud. I dug like crazy in a driving blizzard, could barely see my own hand in front of me and he was able to rock it out from there. He was only out there to play around.

I appreciate the adrenaline when you feel your help can make a difference. A few years back I had to make may way through rush hour traffic while obeying all laws to recover an ambulance with a patient onboard. It's hard to keep your cool with that mixture of fear and determination, but you have to try your best.

The litigation thing is a frustration and really you need to take that thought that "Property may get damaged and people may get injured and sue me." and change it to "Property may get damaged and people may get injured." because that's bad enough.

In contrast to the above I got it all wrong on one occasion last year. Young pretty girl on a housing estate in tears trying to get her nearly new BMW home. I pull over and offer to be the hero, end up grinding her alloy wheels along the curb at one point as I towed her car up the hill. Another guy had stepped in and was steering her car (badly) but I always feel uncomfortable about that one. I should have simply helped push her car somewhere safe and driven her to her house.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.