anybody pull people out of mud/snow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > anybody pull people out of mud/snow?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
hunter4198
1999 WJ 

Wj anybody pull people out of mud/snow?

i dont get my license until October, but i would like to know how you pull people out if they dont have tow hooks/loops/trailer hitches. is there a certain place to do it, and what is the best method for pulling people out? and will the v8 have the weight/power ratio to do it??

Hunter4198
hunter4198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
buns_1
2004 WJ 

I always make the person I am pulling out attach the strap to their own vehicle, especially if they don't have tow points. I don't want the responsibility of hooking it up to something that I might rip off. Every vehicle I have tried to recover has been successful so far. The v8 is about as good as it gets for towing/recovery in my opinion.
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #3
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter4198 View Post
i dont get my license until October, but i would like to know how you pull people out if they dont have tow hooks/loops/trailer hitches. is there a certain place to do it, and what is the best method for pulling people out? and will the v8 have the weight/power ratio to do it??
Always have them hook it up that will save your butt! Also dont pull them out in reverse.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
hunter4198
1999 WJ 

Wj

Quote:
Originally Posted by buns_1 View Post
I always make the person I am pulling out attach the strap to their own vehicle, especially if they don't have tow points. I don't want the responsibility of hooking it up to something that I might rip off. Every vehicle I have tried to recover has been successful so far. The v8 is about as good as it gets for towing/recovery in my opinion.
Alright! thank you guys, just a couple more questions. what if for some reason they are "city folk" and don't know how to hook it up? and i have a contract that says that im not responsible for any liability or damage.
And do people usually pay you when you pull them out after they slide off the road in the winter?

Hunter4198
hunter4198 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #5
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Alright! thank you guys, just a couple more questions. what if for some reason they are "city folk" and don't know how to hook it up? and i have a contract that says that im not responsible for any liability or damage. And do people usually pay you when you pull them out after they slide off the road in the winter?
No, we belong to the "nice guy club, kind of people who help their neighbors" kind of people. We don't make a profit, just a good feeling of doing a good deed.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #6
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:

Alright! thank you guys, just a couple more questions. what if for some reason they are "city folk" and don't know how to hook it up? and i have a contract that says that im not responsible for any liability or damage.
And do people usually pay you when you pull them out after they slide off the road in the winter?
I never take money if offered.

They way laws are these days it is best for them to connect the strap them sleeves. I had a situation back in 2006 where a guy in a Mitsubishi needed to be pulled out, I backed up to him and seen a crack in his bumper. I connected the strap to my Durango and handed the other end to him. He kept trying to get me to connect it to his car and I refused to. I told him to make sure he is hooking it to steel ( later found out I just placed the hook on the corner bumper support). Sure enough, I pulled vary slowly and pulled his inner bumper support with everything else attached right off. He called the cops on my wife and I. Cops showed up and asked did he stop you two? yes sir he did, ok, did you connect to his vehicle? No sir, I handed the strap to him, ok, well you two have a good day.

So, you can see how I may have been held responsible for the damages to his vehicle. Not worth the risk!
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockracer View Post

I never take money if offered.

They way laws are these days it is best for them to connect the strap them sleeves. I had a situation back in 2006 where a guy in a Mitsubishi needed to be pulled out, I backed up to him and seen a crack in his bumper. I connected the strap to my Durango and handed the other end to him. He kept trying to get me to connect it to his car and I refused to. I told him to make sure he is hooking it to steel ( later found out I just placed the hook on the corner bumper support). Sure enough, I pulled vary slowly and pulled his inner bumper support with everything else attached right off. He called the cops on my wife and I. Cops showed up and asked did he stop you two? yes sir he did, ok, did you connect to his vehicle? No sir, I handed the strap to him, ok, well you two have a good day.

So, you can see how I may have been held responsible for the damages to his vehicle. Not worth the risk!
Actually, the way the laws are these days, it's best just to keep driving, unless you are at an off-road park or trail. If someone ends up in a ditch on the street, it is considered an accident scene. You could be held responsible for modifying the scene if you pull them out. Not saying it would happen, just saying it could. I would check with your local law enforcement before helping anyone on the street. Always cover your own *** first.

Sent from inside my dinosoar head.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

I suppose you could have a lawyer draw up a page for them to sign, before you do anything, absolving you of all responsibility, should something get broken. I'd like someone to help my wife or child, if they slid off the road, but the litigious scumbags out there ruin everything for the rest of us.

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post

Actually, the way the laws are these days, it's best just to keep driving, unless you are at an off-road park or trail. If someone ends up in a ditch on the street, it is considered an accident scene. You could be held responsible for modifying the scene if you pull them out. Not saying it would happen, just saying it could. I would check with your local law enforcement before helping anyone on the street. Always cover your own *** first.

Yep, sad to see the good old days of giving an honest helping hand disappear.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

.....actually if its one of those crappy Jeep Pariots or Compasses I like to use my bullbar push them further into the ditch or snow bank then drive off!
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
ezflip

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaitalia View Post
.....actually if its one of those crappy Jeep Pariots or Compasses I like to use my bullbar push them further into the ditch or snow bank then drive off!
Haha, man don't hate on the lesser jeeps. They are still jeeps....kinda.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #12
04WJUSNPA
2004 WJ 

Agreed with what has been said save your a** let them hook themselves up, as for if you know the person or if it is your vehicle find a solid place on the frame that is easy to get to and use that. I have done that many times with family and others who might not be physically able to get down and do it themselves and it has always worked.
04WJUSNPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
Thomahawk
2004 WJ 

Ripped the rear bumber off a CitroŽn last winter, hi hi hi, he got out off the snow bank though, like flying

Got to love having a Jeep.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/jeep-norway-2th-buildt-overland-upgrade-1813490/[/url]

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
IH8PEPL
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezflip View Post
Actually, the way the laws are these days, it's best just to keep driving, unless you are at an off-road park or trail. If someone ends up in a ditch on the street, it is considered an accident scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkendrick View Post
I suppose you could have a lawyer draw up a page for them to sign, before you do anything, absolving you of all responsibility, should something get broken.
The law in most states is - if you help someone pull a stuck vehicle, waver or not, you assume all liability and responsibility. If you tear their unibody car in half yanking on it, Its all on you.Even if you handed them the straps and let them hook it up.

Stop, offer to call them a tow truck, move on.
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
webby88
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
The law in most states is - if you help someone pull a stuck vehicle, waver or not, you assume all liability and responsibility. If you tear their unibody car in half yanking on it, Its all on you.Even if you handed them the straps and let them hook it up.

Stop, offer to call them a tow truck, move on.
^ this x infinity!

As the saying goes - "no good deed goes unpunished".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.