Any volunteer fire fighters? Lighting and siren questions. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any volunteer fire fighters? Lighting and siren questions.

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 10-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #16
webby88
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintracker View Post
Oh there just a bunch of cheap plastic crappy airhorns you find in the typical 30 buck kits. I had several kits, highs and lows. So I put two compressors together under relays and fed left and right sides of the Jeep with high pitch on the passenger side and low on the drivers side. I have an ARB bumper and the horns fit nicely, facing forward, inside the sides of the bumper. Its got almost the same db level as a tank system, but without the need of the space taken up by a tank. It definitely gets the attention of dangerous drivers....
I aint doing an ARB upgrade, but wish I could fit a horn blasters setup in the WJ, now THAT will get peoples attention!

Unread 10-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #17
VaderTheBlack
2003 WJ 

Any brand or style of grill lights that you recommend?
VaderTheBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #18
mountaintracker
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby88 View Post
I aint doing an ARB upgrade, but wish I could fit a horn blasters setup in the WJ, now THAT will get peoples attention!
I finished it before this current summer. On a trip up to Portland I found it extremely useful in getting attention when its needed. I put the horn button on the passenger side of the cabin just so I don't abusive with it. Before the ARB upgrade, I actually considered putting my horns, up underneath the chassis. There is plenty of room by the T/C. The only issue, however, is trying to figure out how best to keep the dirt and mud out of them. But that was originally where I was going to put them, pre-bumper...
Unread 10-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
webby88
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderTheBlack View Post
Federal Signal or Whelen if you want good quality stuff. Sho-me or Soundoff if you want functional crap...
Unread 10-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #20
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

[/URL]

[/URL]

Peterbilt JY air horns with the pull cord inside.

[/URL]

[/URL]
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #21
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Had 90w strobes in ,my ZJ. Haven't put into my WJ as of yet as unsure how I would go about doing it with the light housings being very different. They worked great and could upgrade to 6 strobes if I wished. Nice and bright. Looking at possibly using LED strobe setup instead. If it works out well, might just sell the 90w kit (basically same bulb types as police cruisers, but different control box)
Here there is no law about having them or using them, other than they are limited to being white or amber. Anything red or blue is illegal, and green is reserved for volunteer firefighters. This is why tow trucks use white/amber. Newest thing I've seen though are purple ones used by funeral homes. Sirens though are illegal on road. My buddy actual has a police siren in his truck.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #22
namtrah
2004 WJ 

Do it, then do it right

I have mixed emotions on all of this. I am a member of a volunteer department and I also am a career fire/medic. I have about 12 years under my belt all together. The state of MN does not allow per statute any first responders/ems/fire personnel in personally owned vehicles to have any lighting let alone sirens in their vehicles. This kinda frustrates me at times, but most of the time it makes more sense. MN does allow a stationary red light forward facing if approved by chief, good luck on that, huge liability. One of my issues is...you don't install enough lighting and you blast your horns and sirens and get all huffy puffy cuz no one moves. Here's a question...in the states that allow lights and sirens...does state statute allow you to go through intersections, does it make it mandatory that others pull over for your covert emergency vehicle? If so, prove it. Educate yourself before a state patrol/hwy patrol does it for you. So many issues with us volunteers running around with this gear. Don't get me wrong, if you are in the letter of the law and you install proper equipment, awesome! If you half *** it and think you are superman, shame on you. Research....read the studies that show that lights and siren may actually slow your response time. Read the studies and know the facts that most moron civilian drivers will not pull over for a full blown fire apparatus let alone your WJ, XJ or TJ with pretty lights and siren. So much liability involved. Does your car insurance cover your vehicle in case of a crash when you blow through a stop sign or light? Lots of things to think about. As I cruise down an hour south of our local hospital with a cardiac patient, we run lights and siren to get them to the cath lab to clean them out and hopefully save them, pretty big deal. However, I'd say 25% of drivers disregard our lights and sirens and won't even move over. The truth that some civilians regard volunteer/paid on call firefighters as a joke until they need us is another issue. They may actually impede your response, and what are the repercussions? Are they legally bound to yield? If not, are you just going to get pissed and aggressive on the road while amped up for a structure fire or hot call? So much to think about. Do it right brothers and sisters who serve in emergency services. Stay safe and get home, that is what really matters.
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #23
namtrah
2004 WJ 

To give a little more info: in MN, as first responders or the new designation as emergency responders. We are required to have a amber light that is visible 360 degrees. This rule applies to us responding on roadways as it does for construction/utility workers. We are pretty bad at following that rule as we usually use our hazard lights. Either way, we have had fully lit crash scenes on a us hwy where an idiot in a Cadillac came full speed spinning through. New underpants please! So make sure you are covered 360 if you do light your vehicle. Studies also show amber is the best color in fog and all weather conditions. However, your state laws dictate what colors apply. Red is emergency vehicles in MN. Amber is snow plows, road maintenance, etc. blue is snowplows, but I think most have switched to Amber due to plow vs POV crashes. Clear, green, purple are not listed in statute. The MN state patrol does enforce these laws in Northern MN. Way too many impersonators trying to pull over female drivers up here, but that is another issue.
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
cherokee_mike
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderTheBlack View Post
Hey there... I'm new to the forums, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm in the emergency vehicle equipment sales and installation business and although they're a fairly "new" company, I highly recommend Feniex products. I've used them on my personal vehicle (a 2012 Chrysler 300 -
) and have sold quite a few Feniex items and everyone loves them! The common "T-6" grille lights sell for around $50-60 each and are the brightest I've seen of that size on the market. If you have any questions, let me know!

cherokee_mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #25
VaderTheBlack
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by namtrah
I have mixed emotions on all of this. I am a member of a volunteer department and I also am a career fire/medic. I have about 12 years under my belt all together. The state of MN does not allow per statute any first responders/ems/fire personnel in personally owned vehicles to have any lighting let alone sirens in their vehicles. This kinda frustrates me at times, but most of the time it makes more sense. MN does allow a stationary red light forward facing if approved by chief, good luck on that, huge liability. One of my issues is...you don't install enough lighting and you blast your horns and sirens and get all huffy puffy cuz no one moves. Here's a question...in the states that allow lights and sirens...does state statute allow you to go through intersections, does it make it mandatory that others pull over for your covert emergency vehicle? If so, prove it. Educate yourself before a state patrol/hwy patrol does it for you. So many issues with us volunteers running around with this gear. Don't get me wrong, if you are in the letter of the law and you install proper equipment, awesome! If you half *** it and think you are superman, shame on you. Research....read the studies that show that lights and siren may actually slow your response time. Read the studies and know the facts that most moron civilian drivers will not pull over for a full blown fire apparatus let alone your WJ, XJ or TJ with pretty lights and siren. So much liability involved. Does your car insurance cover your vehicle in case of a crash when you blow through a stop sign or light? Lots of things to think about. As I cruise down an hour south of our local hospital with a cardiac patient, we run lights and siren to get them to the cath lab to clean them out and hopefully save them, pretty big deal. However, I'd say 25% of drivers disregard our lights and sirens and won't even move over. The truth that some civilians regard volunteer/paid on call firefighters as a joke until they need us is another issue. They may actually impede your response, and what are the repercussions? Are they legally bound to yield? If not, are you just going to get pissed and aggressive on the road while amped up for a structure fire or hot call? So much to think about. Do it right brothers and sisters who serve in emergency services. Stay safe and get home, that is what really matters.

This isn't my first department, my last one didn't allow anyone except the officers to have lights and siren on our personal vehicles. Since this one does, I'm running it. I remember trying to get past a guy in my old 1988 Ranger, and that idiot almost ran me off the road when I tried to pass him. The fact my truck took half an hour to make it from 0-60 mph didn't help. Maybe if I had been running the whole set up, he would have moved over. I'm not doing it as an excuse to drive fast, I'm doing it so I'm able to come home to my daughter instead of wreaking on the side of the road.
Unread 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #26
webby88
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by namtrah View Post
In New York State we have two special provisions in the VTL law which allow for the use of Red Lights and Sirens in our personal vehicles. Our VAC has a special provision in their liability policy to cover our vehicles since a 'normal' insurance policy will not cover any lights and sirens. Ever.

If you want to see the exact language in the VTL law see here under sections 1104 & 375 (26 & 41).

With regards to blowing through intersection, you are allowed to proceed with caution and due regard, which simply means that if someone is blocking the intersection you are not allowed to ram through them. Firetrucks on the other hand do not even need to slow down thanks to their 200+ db air-horns. Yikes.
Unread 10-07-2013, 05:35 PM   #27
namtrah
2004 WJ 

MN Law

Now no matter if I'm responding in apparatus from my volunteer or career dept, we must stop at all intersections, clear them and proceed. Now reality is if we can see it is clear, we are going. However, in a crash involving apparatus, our dept would be bankrupt in a lawsuit.

Any one of us can search the web, surf Firehouse.com, any other source such as NIOSH reports and we can find examples of apparatus whether and engine, ladder, quint, ambulance, rescue, squad...whatever...being involved in crashes. At this point in my life where I much less rammy and don't pull the same BS risks I used to...I'd love for a provision to allow us to run lights and siren in POVs, but it isn't going to happen. I would be beyond nervous to have our young bucks full of piss and vinegar running code 3. We also must respond to the hall vs to the scene. The only exception is if you respond well into the incident and no other resources are needed or it is a medical call. I remember cruising at 90 mph down ice covered roads in FT 4WD and puckering like crazy just to get to the scene before the ambulance...how fricken stupid was I!

I will close with this tid bit. You guys/gals are my brothers and sisters in the fire service and we don't need any LODD. If you are allowed, please install quality lights/siren and make damn sure you do functions checks on your POV just as you would you apparatus at the hall. An ounce of prevention! I remember a show about game wardens not too long ago...the warden came behind a pickup with a siren on and no lights. The warden made a traffic stop and found out the two men inside were responding to their fire hall, but they had not realized their lights did not work. Tunnel vision, adrenaline and all the rest. Make sure your equipment works and make sure you observe the law. If you get hurt/killed or worse yet, you kill someone else responding, life will turn to crap. Stay alert, stay alive.
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #28
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

This is what we have here...
http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/engli.../04-89-03.html

The small community I live in we're used to seeing green flashing lights when a call goes out. A neighbour that recently moved had one, and my other neighbour has one as well. They're usualy used when they're going to the station for a call.

All red and blue are banned except on emergency vehicles.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
dpk20x
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
I don't have a write up, but it's pretty simple.

The LED's come in a kit, each pair plugs into a control box and each control box is wired into a switch box which supplies the power and can ground the earth to switch through the different flashing modes. In the video it's just cycling through all the individual patterns. I think there's around eleven. You can just take power from the 12v aux feed, run it to the button and that can feed the control units, the draw is tiny.

The LED's themselves are easy to install. You simply drill a hole in the back of the cluster and screw the strobe in place over a washer. The reversing lights have a nice flat piece by them. I have used the marker lights in the front, mine are blank as standard due to being the UK, I'm not sure what you'd do in the US.

If you want any more info feel free to ask and I'll try to answer. I have them fitted because I do volunteer work for the emergency services in adverse wether such as heavy snow or thick fog on icy roads. They're also really good for getting out of crowded event car parks fast.
OK thanks. Sounds pretty straight forward.

So I take it your kit looks something like this?

dpk20x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #30
VaderTheBlack
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee_mike View Post
Hey there... I'm new to the forums, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm in the emergency vehicle equipment sales and installation business and although they're a fairly "new" company, I highly recommend Feniex products. I've used them on my personal vehicle (a 2012 Chrysler 300 - Video Link) and have sold quite a few Feniex items and everyone loves them! The common "T-6" grille lights sell for around $50-60 each and are the brightest I've seen of that size on the market. If you have any questions, let me know!

Those look great!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.