Any volunteer fire fighters? Lighting and siren questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any volunteer fire fighters? Lighting and siren questions.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
VaderTheBlack
2003 WJ 

Any volunteer fire fighters? Lighting and siren questions.

I recently signed up and now am looking for lighting and siren options for my WJ. I am tossing around grill lighting and/or the headlight/tail light strobes. Any opinions or pictures of this? Also, I need an idea where to mount the siren, as there is not a lot of extra space under the hood with the 4.7. Any thoughts would be greatly appreiceated.

VaderTheBlack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:53 AM   #2
mountaintracker
2004 WJ 

I can't speak for lighting, but I've got both a PA/Siren horn plus two air horn pumps all mounted back by the steering wheel area of the firewall. There is some space there, on the firewall for such things. I have the siren facing down and an L mount tapped into the firewall to mount both compressors. I don't have time right now to take a picture, but there is room in that area of the 4.7 if you work creatively.

I've seen some drill holes through the luggage rails while there off then mount a al crossbar at the front leading edge of the rails on top. From there they've hung or mounted all sorts of lights,etc. I personally have a RIGID-type offroad light on mine.
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
VaderTheBlack
2003 WJ 

I'm a little hesitent to throw a light bar across the racks just because of the sunroof.
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #4
mountaintracker
2004 WJ 

yeah, with a sun roof, you'd probably not be able to get it far enough forward. You may want to consider an inside the windshield bar, or I've seen a few Wjs out there with lights actually behind the grill, but there is not a whole lot of room. If I have a chance, I'll dig up some photos. I've got a bunch somewhere of a couple guys who volunteer S&R and have done a few different things with their WJs as far as lights go. The lightbar of course the most popular option...No promises though.
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

The head light drives strobe lights are illegal for all non police use. Illegal even for volunteer first responders. I doubt you would get a ticket for it but that's your risk to run if you decided to go that route. Check you local laws about it though. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in most if not all states, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about something.

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
VaderTheBlack
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04 View Post
The head light drives strobe lights are illegal for all non police use. Illegal even for volunteer first responders. I doubt you would get a ticket for it but that's your risk to run if you decided to go that route. Check you local laws about it though. I'm pretty sure it's illegal in most if not all states, but it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong about something.
I'll definitly have to check that out. Last thing I want is a ticket for something preventable. Thats why I took off my tinted license plate covers off. They looked great on my Dakota but that was while I was in the navy. I didn't have to worry about that stuff. Amazing what a military ID will save you from lol
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
webby88
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintracker View Post
I can't speak for lighting, but I've got both a PA/Siren horn plus two air horn pumps all mounted back by the steering wheel area of the firewall. There is some space there, on the firewall for such things. I have the siren facing down and an L mount tapped into the firewall to mount both compressors. I don't have time right now to take a picture, but there is room in that area of the 4.7 if you work creatively.
What type of air horns if I may ask?

Also, OP I will put together some pictures of my layout, I put all the controllers under the driver side rear bench and got really creative with dash placement.
Unread 10-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #8
MWF
2002 WJ 

This is my covert LED setup. Pretty easy to install in the reversing light and marker light housings. Minimal current draw.

Unread 10-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
VaderTheBlack
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby88 View Post

Also, OP I will put together some pictures of my layout, I put all the controllers under the driver side rear bench and got really creative with dash placement.
That would be great!
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
dpk20x
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWF View Post
This is my covert LED setup. Pretty easy to install in the reversing light and marker light housings. Minimal current draw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE7Ed2Y3f5M
Hey that's really cool. Do you happen to have a write up somewhere or a list of parts needed? I'd love to do that to my dub if it doesn't cost too much.
dpk20x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
island hopper
1999 WJ 

Congrats on signing up! I would mount the siren dead center grill, and keep the lighting limited to corner strobes only.
island hopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #12
VaderTheBlack
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hopper
Congrats on signing up! I would mount the siren dead center grill, and keep the lighting limited to corner strobes only.
Thanks. I think I'll do the strobes but also throw in some red LEDs behind the grill. Might save me a headache later on. It'll be fun trying to guess what all will fit and mount nicely.
Unread 10-05-2013, 10:21 AM   #13
SteelBlue_WJ
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04 View Post
Headlight strobe usage is dependant on state. some states allow certain colors for different reasons. some states allow and encourage volunteer FF POV lights. some states also allow civian application as long as the usage is within their guidelines. In a place like NJ/NY where everthing is illegal I can understand your viewpoint, but in this instance this is not always the case.

2001 Steel Blue WJ Laredo SA 4x4, 3.5" lift, Apperance Package with factory Laredo Steel Blue cladding/leather
Conferr Roof Basket with custom Randy Ellis Design light cage, WAAG grille guard and Hella lots of 500 lights

2004 Wrangler Sport, 2.5" and 31's, nothing special

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.' "
John Greenleaf Whittier
SteelBlue_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #14
MWF
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpk20x View Post
Hey that's really cool. Do you happen to have a write up somewhere or a list of parts needed? I'd love to do that to my dub if it doesn't cost too much.
I don't have a write up, but it's pretty simple.

The LED's come in a kit, each pair plugs into a control box and each control box is wired into a switch box which supplies the power and can ground the earth to switch through the different flashing modes. In the video it's just cycling through all the individual patterns. I think there's around eleven. You can just take power from the 12v aux feed, run it to the button and that can feed the control units, the draw is tiny.

The LED's themselves are easy to install. You simply drill a hole in the back of the cluster and screw the strobe in place over a washer. The reversing lights have a nice flat piece by them. I have used the marker lights in the front, mine are blank as standard due to being the UK, I'm not sure what you'd do in the US.

If you want any more info feel free to ask and I'll try to answer. I have them fitted because I do volunteer work for the emergency services in adverse wether such as heavy snow or thick fog on icy roads. They're also really good for getting out of crowded event car parks fast.
Unread 10-06-2013, 06:36 AM   #15
mountaintracker
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webby88 View Post

Oh there just a bunch of cheap plastic crappy airhorns you find in the typical 30 buck kits. I had several kits, highs and lows. So I put two compressors together under relays and fed left and right sides of the Jeep with high pitch on the passenger side and low on the drivers side. I have an ARB bumper and the horns fit nicely, facing forward, inside the sides of the bumper. Its got almost the same db level as a tank system, but without the need of the space taken up by a tank. It definitely gets the attention of dangerous drivers....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.