Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Any interest in my 2002 4.7 HO motor with 59k miles?

3K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  leftlanetruckin 
#1 ·
I am thinking about attempting diesel swap into my WJ :shhh: since I already have the dash out for the heater core lol

Just wanted to see if there was any interest in my 2002 HO motor?
New:
valve cover gaskets
oil pan gasket
platinum plugs
water pump
timing belt
ceramic coated exhaust manifolds
new exhaust studs
new exhaust gaskets (new design)
amsoil oil and filter

probably forgetting a few things LOL

Buyer can hear the motor run if wanted before I take it out

#3 ·
Good question I paid $2500 for just the motor since it was low mileage and came complete, plus the extras I put into it.

I'm willing to sell it for less so i'm open to offers i'd say at this point.

I don't think i've put even 500 miles on it since i've had it running. Only around town trips and then I started the heater core replacement memorial day weekend and was in a motorcycle accident right afterwards so the dash has been out since May LOL

#5 ·
Well I figured that i'll have to get into the dash wiring some to swap some wires over.

In South Central, PA but I figured as long as the CEL is out and all the readiness codes are set in the PCM it should pass ok
What do you think?

#6 ·
well, they do check visually to make sure all the emissions equipment are present....not really possible when you've deleted it all and install diesel stuff.

if you were in a county that doesn't do emissions, you'd be fine. but it'll still be a MASSIVE job, you'll need at least another 2" of lift and a lot of engine bay chopping(the kind that pa won't let you do on the frame) to make even the smaller, reasonably priced cummins offerings fit.
there are many other diesel options, but selling your current motor might get you half way to buying just the motor on many of them.

#7 ·
Thank for the feedback. I plan on putting cats on emissions stuff back on to try to stay legal LOL.

Not going with a cummins but something else :)

Will try to do a write up so other people can also do a swap if they want to...

#8 ·
I would have took it about 6 months ago. I was fortunate to find one local for a reasonable price. Unfortunately it had 20k more miles on it.

I'd say based on all the extras you have in it (if you have all the receipts) you should be good at the price you paid. However most persons (like myself) that need a motor in a hurry for cheap aren't thinking about all the extras at that time. I wish I would have.

But I got lucky and she runs like a top.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Thanks. As a recent buyer do you think I should take a video of it running before I pull it out if it doesn't sell before I pull it?

#11 ·
HAHA! Good point new serpentine belt for accessories.

Timing chain and guides all looked like brand new.

Engine had ZERO sludge when I removed the valve covers and oil pan so previous owner either used synthetic oil or was religious about oil changes.

And it's timing hehe :highfive:

#13 ·
You sure they don't?

My diesel touareg has cats on it.

I'd do it to at least attempt to make it clean emissions :)

#14 ·
Diesel cats are NOT the same as gas-burning cats so far as I know.

Also, if the motor you're swapping is from a newer vehicle and you use the approved emissions equipment (cats if it had them) from that vehicle, you *should* be fine with a knowledgeable inspection station.

#24 ·
It's on, I picked up the donor vehicle today...:shhh:

Looking forward to nice low end diesel torque and great MPG's :D

#22 ·
muscle car guys do so either in non-emissions areas or under strict alternate inspection and driving rules in pa. a significantly altered or "hot rod" vehicle only has about a half dozen inspection stations it can go to in pa. no one is getting away with anything in pa, but don't worry about them, worry about what you'll need to do living in an emissions tested county.

the law was actually passed in response to muscle car guys swapping in much larger engines in the early 70's and getting dead very often.

#23 ·
Every place that i've been in my county plugs in to OBD port, fires up computer connects to penndot checks VIN #, checks PCM readiness codes. No CEL, and for my 2000 I can have 2 readiness codes not set IIRC and it will still pass. And my county doesn't do sniff tests, not even sure if any county does. But diesels are exempt anyway...

Since the PCM that I am using is from a newer USA spec Jeep it will pass all readiness codes, but from my quick research it may not even come to that according to below since it's diesel it's exempt just like my registration card says. Either way it'll pass and I don't for see it being a problem. There are TONS of modified cars without cats running around with either programming to eliminate them or cheaters. Did you know there is a lot of speculation if cats are even needed any more since the newer cars PCM's are so complex and the engines are much more efficient. It has been said that GASP they could even be MORE of a waste of fuel since during their warm-up process the fuel mixture is enriched to heat them up quicker..?? That's why aftermarket tuners if they are tuning it correctly will ask if you have CATS or not.

From the PA regulation page for emissions testing:
(i) Vehicles with engines other than the engine originally installed by the manufacturer, or an identical replacement engine shall be subject to the test procedures and standards for the chassis type and model year, including visual equipment inspections for components that are part of the original certified configuration and part of the normal inspection.
(ii) Vehicles that have been altered from an engine of one fuel type to another fuel type that is subject to the I/M program, for example, from a diesel engine to a gasoline engine shall be subject to the test procedures and standards for the current fuel type, and to the requirements of subparagraph (i).
(iii) Vehicles that are altered to a fuel type for which there is no certified configuration shall be tested according to the most stringent emission standards established for that vehicle type and model year. Emission control device requirements may be waived if the Department determines that the alternatively fueled vehicle configuration would meet the new vehicle standards for that model year without these devices.

#26 ·
Great question

The Libby CRD. Uses the same 545rfe trans, and the earlier Euro models seem to have used the same motor mounts as my Jeep so I'm hoping that there are mounting provisions on the block for that style of motor mount and everything lines up.

Next is continue to figure out what wires need swapped.

#27 ·
Nice to see you did some FACT finding.
Diesels don't have cats? Really....:rolleyes:
Diesels from Europe cant meet US emissions standards? Really again....:rolleyes:
Sounds like someone needs to do some research before posting incorrect information. The European emissions are stricter in quite a few tests than US ones are.:teehee:
I do indeed have an idea regards diesels, their emissions, and European emissions, being that I drive diesels for a living and am from England:fistlaugh:
Bets of luck with your swap, and please keep us posted regardless of the Debbie Downers;)

Martin

#28 ·
Thanks Martin,
I agree that even by todays standards with our ultra low sulphur diesel the euro diesels of 4-5 years ago are still cleaner.

It should be a fun project, i'm sure a little frustrating at times, but fun none the less.

#30 ·
No problem mate. I know all about the emissions standards for various years, for obvious reasons:thumbsup:
I have done a fair few swaps in my time, so feel free to PM me if you hit a stumbling block, although I doubt you will seeing as you can actually research accurately;)

Martin

#29 ·
Also did new PCV valve and hose and JET low temp thermostat LOL I knew I had a few more things done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.