Any Good Foggy Headlight Write-Ups? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any Good Foggy Headlight Write-Ups?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

Any Good Foggy Headlight Write-Ups?

Sorry for making a new thread of a fairly popular issue, but i did so much searching of write-ups and how-to's, but all the threads i found were just showoffs! lol, are there any good write-ups on clearing up foggy headlights?
i was thinking of going the 1000 grit then 2000 grit method. Is it self explanitory to take off the headlights and put them back together?

edit**
NVM! Found one!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...al-mod-494045/

Do i really have to stick my headlights in the oven in order to remove the plastic bulb colvers to sand the inside? will sanding only the outside do any good?

steveridesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

I used blue magic lens restorer on both my ZJs and it restored the lenses to perfectly clear! i had already tried a bunch of diff. polishing compounds and a DA sander before that with minimal results. I got it at kragen/oriely parts store. i can post after pics but i dont have any befores.
93zjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

yeah the blue magic is amazing, i tried wet sanding the headlights on my car up to 3000grit, but its still a little could, but the one i just used blue magic is amazing.
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

half way down:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/w...index1471.html

Motorcycle Repair in Denverhttp://www.wellsmoto.com
kwellzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2010, 05:13 AM   #5
rritch
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwellzz View Post
That was my posting. I used the 3M headlight restoration kit and it did a great job. Took about 20 minutes per light to do. The kit was $25 at Autozone which is a whole lot cheaper than buying new ones. Here is a picture of the front after it was done. As you can see they are as clear now as the glass lens Hella's. Well worth the little bit of money and time if you ask me.

Unread 03-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
steveridesli
2002 WJ 

to use the polishes, did you guys have to heat up the headlights and pry out the front piece to get the inside? or did it do just fine only on the outside?
steveridesli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
rritch
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveridesli View Post
to use the polishes, did you guys have to heat up the headlights and pry out the front piece to get the inside? or did it do just fine only on the outside?
In my case all I did was polish the outside of the lens. If you have moisture etc inside I am not sure what the solution would be.
Unread 03-30-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Normally I would just recommend buying replacements from 4WD Hardware. Certainly better than wasting alot of time and elbow grease. I just checked the prices and could not believe it! You WJ guys are getting screwed compared to us ZJ guys.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

For the difference in looks of the headlights as new from the ZJ to WJ, I'll happily take that screwing.

Replacements really are nice if you have more $ than time with 0 concern that they'll cloud back over again.
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:08 PM   #10
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

the inside of mine were perfectly fine.
93zjer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.