Another WJ starting issue *click, no start, charged battery* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another WJ starting issue *click, no start, charged battery*

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-16-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
PumaZJ

Another WJ starting issue *click, no start, charged battery*

Well I'll add this to the forum for others troubleshooting the issue. I drove around all weekend up to Maryland and back to VA. Last night I go to start up and get nothing but one single loud click. Presumably, this is the starter solenoid that is having issues engaging the starter.

I tried starting it in neutral (possible NSS) to no avail. I also got out the voltmeter and am getting a good 12V reading on the battery posts AND the battery terminal. The contacts (ground, 12v, battery, and starter) all look good and are free of corrosion.

When I get home today, I'll try jumping the solenoid using the old screwdriver trick. If it starts up, this would suggest a faulty solenoid right? Anyone else got ideas?

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4421
PumaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Snafe
2000 WJ 

I had the exact same issue earlier this year. It ended up being the Starter. I had it towed to Sears and they replaced it.

This happened the morning after I replaced my radiator... It was a very fun couple of days</sarcasm>. If I didn't have AAA, the towing would have doubled my expenses!

My Jeeps: a 2000 WJ Limited (4.7) and a 2004 KJ Limited
Snafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
pinky2252s
2001 WJ 

I also had the same problem, except after a few tries to click stopped. I just got a starter for like 30 bucks from a junkyard. Solved my problem.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #2252
2001 Laredo, 2004 Special Edition
pinky2252s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
srmitchell
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My 04 v8 killed the starter with no warning. Got a new one and it starts great.
srmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
85IrocZ-28
1999 WJ 

Likely a starter. But check your connections first to make sure they are clean. You might also try tapping on the starter with a hammer. Sometimes this will get it to work for a bit again until you can get to the parts store.
*Project Yeti* 99 JGC Limited 4.7 w/6.5" Rockkrawler LA & IRO A-arm, Goodyear MTR 35's on MB TKO's, 4.56 Yukon's, Iceland Offroad Bumper/Flares/Sliders, Protofab Rear Carrier, SuperChips, Uniden/Firestick, Flowmaster, Smittybilt 8k Synthetic Line Winch.

My Jeep is Organic - Undercoated in 100% all natural Utah Dirt --- Utah Jeep Crew #49 ~Will
2012 JeepForum GCOTY --- [URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/project-yeti-abominable-wj-1125665/]Project Yeti Build Thread[/URL]
85IrocZ-28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
Upside
2002 WJ 

For me it was the starter followed shortly by corrosion in the battery cables. New battery wiring and starter fixed it right up.
Upside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #7
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

Also a good battery should be more than 12v ..more like 12.5 _12.8 . Also the voltage proves nothing . My last battery showed over 12 v and would not turn my engine over. When I tested it with a 50 amp load tester it dropped to 6volts under load ! New battery sorted it out.
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:20 AM   #8
georged
2004 WJ 

It could be the starter relay. Take a relay (same number) from another circuit and change. If that is not it, it could be the starter switch. See if you get voltage at the solenoid terminal wire when key in the start position.
georged is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:07 AM   #9
PumaZJ

This is all good information guys! I already tried swapping relays but that did not help. Also tried smacking the starter to get the brushes unstuck, did not work. It's getting a new starter and cleaned up terminals.

Unread 07-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #10
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumaZJ View Post
Well I'll add this to the forum for others troubleshooting the issue. I drove around all weekend up to Maryland and back to VA. Last night I go to start up and get nothing but one single loud click. Presumably, this is the starter solenoid that is having issues engaging the starter.

I tried starting it in neutral (possible NSS) to no avail. I also got out the voltmeter and am getting a good 12V reading on the battery posts AND the battery terminal. The contacts (ground, 12v, battery, and starter) all look good and are free of corrosion.

When I get home today, I'll try jumping the solenoid using the old screwdriver trick. If it starts up, this would suggest a faulty solenoid right? Anyone else got ideas?
No, this does not bypass the solenoid. When the solenoid jumps in, there are contacts inside that make the starter motor turn.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
PumaZJ

Thanks for clearing that up! The WJ got a new starter and is working great. $75 for a starter from Advance with a lifetime warranty, can't beat it!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.