JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   Another WJ starting issue *click, no start, charged battery* (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/another-wj-starting-issue-click-no-start-charged-battery-1549760/)

PumaZJ 07-16-2013 01:06 PM

Another WJ starting issue *click, no start, charged battery*

Well I'll add this to the forum for others troubleshooting the issue. I drove around all weekend up to Maryland and back to VA. Last night I go to start up and get nothing but one single loud click. Presumably, this is the starter solenoid that is having issues engaging the starter.

I tried starting it in neutral (possible NSS) to no avail. I also got out the voltmeter and am getting a good 12V reading on the battery posts AND the battery terminal. The contacts (ground, 12v, battery, and starter) all look good and are free of corrosion.

When I get home today, I'll try jumping the solenoid using the old screwdriver trick. If it starts up, this would suggest a faulty solenoid right? Anyone else got ideas?

Snafe 07-16-2013 04:29 PM

I had the exact same issue earlier this year. It ended up being the Starter. I had it towed to Sears and they replaced it.

This happened the morning after I replaced my radiator... It was a very fun couple of days</sarcasm>. If I didn't have AAA, the towing would have doubled my expenses!

pinky2252s 07-16-2013 05:41 PM

I also had the same problem, except after a few tries to click stopped. I just got a starter for like 30 bucks from a junkyard. Solved my problem.

srmitchell 07-16-2013 05:59 PM

My 04 v8 killed the starter with no warning. Got a new one and it starts great.

85IrocZ-28 07-17-2013 12:07 AM

Likely a starter. But check your connections first to make sure they are clean. You might also try tapping on the starter with a hammer. Sometimes this will get it to work for a bit again until you can get to the parts store.

Upside 07-17-2013 12:36 AM

For me it was the starter followed shortly by corrosion in the battery cables. New battery wiring and starter fixed it right up.

alfaitalia 07-17-2013 02:49 AM

Also a good battery should be more than 12v ..more like 12.5 _12.8 . Also the voltage proves nothing . My last battery showed over 12 v and would not turn my engine over. When I tested it with a 50 amp load tester it dropped to 6volts under load ! New battery sorted it out.

georged 07-17-2013 05:20 AM

It could be the starter relay. Take a relay (same number) from another circuit and change. If that is not it, it could be the starter switch. See if you get voltage at the solenoid terminal wire when key in the start position.

PumaZJ 07-17-2013 06:07 AM

This is all good information guys! I already tried swapping relays but that did not help. Also tried smacking the starter to get the brushes unstuck, did not work. It's getting a new starter and cleaned up terminals.

rdkendrick 07-17-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PumaZJ (Post 15683588)
Well I'll add this to the forum for others troubleshooting the issue. I drove around all weekend up to Maryland and back to VA. Last night I go to start up and get nothing but one single loud click. Presumably, this is the starter solenoid that is having issues engaging the starter.

I tried starting it in neutral (possible NSS) to no avail. I also got out the voltmeter and am getting a good 12V reading on the battery posts AND the battery terminal. The contacts (ground, 12v, battery, and starter) all look good and are free of corrosion.

When I get home today, I'll try jumping the solenoid using the old screwdriver trick. If it starts up, this would suggest a faulty solenoid right? Anyone else got ideas?

No, this does not bypass the solenoid. When the solenoid jumps in, there are contacts inside that make the starter motor turn.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

PumaZJ 07-18-2013 09:10 AM

Thanks for clearing that up! The WJ got a new starter and is working great. $75 for a starter from Advance with a lifetime warranty, can't beat it!

The time now is 01:13 PM.