Another WJ Drive Shaft Thread! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another WJ Drive Shaft Thread!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Now, to start off, I DID search just about every Jeep related forum, until I was cross-eyed! I've seen so many conflicting responses, and, I just need to know something. I'm just going to throw out what I now have, and what I eventually want, and see what happens.

I have an '04 WJ with the 4.0L, 2WD 42RE, and D35 that I'm converting to 4WD. To go in it, I have an '04 I6 242 t-case with 27 spine rear output shaft and front output shaft yoke for a Rezzeppa (SP) joint front drive shaft, and a 42RE OD unit with t-case flange, both are from an '04 WJ. For axles, I have a front D30 and a rear D44A with Vari-Lok 3.73 gears from an '00 WJ with V8 and QD t-case. The D30 also has the Rezeppa yoke. As for lift, I have a 2.5" OME spring lift, but, soon will be adding a 2" BB. I will have 265/70R17 tires (roughly 31x10.5).

I don't have a front drive shaft yet, but, I have two rear drive shafts. The first one is my original 2WD shaft, measuring at 39.25". The second one is what I remember as an I6/42RE/242/D35 shaft, which measures at 32". Neither of the slip yokes were added into those measurements.

I would like to convert to U-joints on the front drive shaft, double Cardon joint as well. I have the D30 installed, my next course of action is to swap out the 2WD OD unit with the 4WD OD and 242, running off the front drive shaft in Part-Time (locked) 4WD mode, followed by swapping out the D35 with the D44A, and, most likely, remake my rear drive shaft, either cutting or extending the shaft.

What ideas does anyone have regarding drive shafts? I would not want to go to custom shafts, I just can't stomach that much for basically a Mall Crawler with off-roading tendencies, I'm looking for junkyard pulls, if that is possible. Thanks!!

Jerry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.