Another "whine" story - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another "whine" story

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
banshee74

Another "whine" story

Had a fairly loud "whine" coming from what sounded near the rear...did not change with engine RPM in nuetral, and was there only at idle...as I accelerated it went basically away......went about 5 miles...shut the car off, and when I ran it again the sound was gone! Thoughts???

banshee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Darnice
2004 WJ 

Fuel pump probably. Sucked up something, when you shut it off, debris fell out and no more noise. Did you refill the tank and the noise went away?
Darnice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
banshee74

That is the area that it sounded like it was coming from......makes sense! Thanks!
Unread 10-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
banshee74

Okay..as usual, the "whine" came back!!! The engine shows no slow starting, no long cranking...no impact on performance, acceleration, etc...can't really tell MPG because it hasn't been that long. When the car starts, it takes a few seconds for the noise to show up, and when you accelerate it really dies down in volume. It is there about 90% of the time. I had done a Seafoam treatment several weeks ago...and I'm still not convinced that is the culprit,

The car is a 4.7HO with only 83K on it. The noise definitely is coming from the fuel pump area and not the filter, but from what I've read here a blockage in the filter area could cause a pressure backup to the pump to make it whine. I'm just trying to make sure which to change (Filter or pump)???? My pro mech friend says it's the pump and if I had some filter blockage it would show up in performance...and I'm inclined to agree...

Pump or Filter???
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
JeepNowski

2004 WJ 

I've got two WJs, a '00 and an '04 and both of them have a noticeable whine coming from what sounds like the rear end when I'm at highway speeds and I let off the gas. Don't know if the same issue you're having but with mine I don't hear it at all until I'm at highway speeds (50+ mph) and let off the gas and then I can hear a faint high-ish pitched whine from the rear. My '00 had it from day 1 when I bought it and has since gone another 70+k miles and hasn't caused any issues. I got the '04 a few months ago and the noise isn't as pronounced as it is in the '00 but it's definantly there.

Anyway, I don't know if this is the same whine you're talking about but it sounded similar to me....good luck getting it figured out.
JeepNowski is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.