Another tire question thread... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another tire question thread...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 10-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
Slvr02Laredo

Another tire question thread...

I have an 02 4.0 (non 4x4) and bought a set of 16x8.5 MB Chaos 5 wheels and know I can fit a 255/70/16 tire on them.

My question is, what brand should I go with. I have the Yokohama geolander hts on my stock wheels right now but on these new wheels I want A/T tires. I don't do any off-road but my drive to work frequently consist of rain, sleet and snow.

I'm looking at the Yokohama geolander A/T or the BFG A/T..
I've heard a lot good reviews about the BFG A/T tired but I've also heard that the tread wears fast and the road noise gets bad after about 30,000 miles of use...

Any opinions from some fellow WJ owners would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
-Cody

Slvr02Laredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr02Laredo View Post
I have an 02 4.0 (non 4x4) and bought a set of 16x8.5 MB Chaos 5 wheels and know I can fit a 255/70/16 tire on them.

My question is, what brand should I go with. I have the Yokohama geolander hts on my stock wheels right now but on these new wheels I want A/T tires. I don't do any off-road but my drive to work frequently consist of rain, sleet and snow.

I'm looking at the Yokohama geolander A/T or the BFG A/T..
I've heard a lot good reviews about the BFG A/T tired but I've also heard that the tread wears fast and the road noise gets bad after about 30,000 miles of use...

Any opinions from some fellow WJ owners would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
-Cody
Cody - try the Search button. Lots of info and opinions to read all day.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
Slvr02Laredo

Every thread I find is about what tire someone should get for off-roading and for lifted jeeps.

I don't do off-road and my jeep is not 4x4 and it's not the v8 so it doesn't have the stock lift those jeeps come with. I simply want a couple opinions.

BFG A/T or Yokohama geolander A/T? Or something other and that does not have loud road noise and has a longer tread wear.
Unread 10-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

I have cooper ATR's on our 04 and Cooper AT3's on Grammys 04 limited. Both good to great tires but hands down the AT3's look the best.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 04:33 AM   #5
Duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86cj74.2L
I have cooper ATR's on our 04 and Cooper AT3's on Grammys 04 limited. Both good to great tires but hands down the AT3's look the best.
Cooper.....
Duh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
3Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slvr02Laredo View Post
Every thread I find is about what tire someone should get for off-roading and for lifted jeeps.

I don't do off-road and my jeep is not 4x4 and it's not the v8 so it doesn't have the stock lift those jeeps come with. I simply want a couple opinions.

BFG A/T or Yokohama geolander A/T? Or something other and that does not have loud road noise and has a longer tread wear.
^^ With that intended usage, then it seems like you need a first-rate highway all-season tire. Better wear, lower noise, and good traction on dry/wet pavement (and maybe light snow?...not sure where you live).

My best advice is to go to tirerack.com (no affiliation) and do research on your specific tire size. They have reviews on a bunch of tires from thousands of reviewers, in every performance and road condition category. You can still get individual opinions on this forum, but I recommend the "crowd-sourced" info on tirerack. Or even Consumer Reports may be helpful (for example, they like the General Grabber HTS for your type of road use.)

In spite of this advice, if you are still set on AT tires for the "looks," then the General Grabber AT2 get great reviews and have the same look of the BFG AT KOs. Another well-regarded AT tire is the Firestone Destination AT.

2000 WJ Limited 4.7L
(IRO 3" Lift, Bilstein 5100s, 3/4" KOR front spring spacers, IRO adj. track bar, stock Silverblade rims in matte black powdercoat, 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs, Akebono caliper upgrade, OE cracks on armrest...)
3Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Another vote for the Cooper AT3/ATP. The ATP version of that tire is only available through Discount/America's Tire and looks a little bit different compared to the AT3.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #8
jpat30

If you are set on an AT tire, I would 2nd the recommendation of Firestone Destination AT. I had a set on my 08 2wd Frontier. They are quiet on the road, wear extremely well (50k with reg rotations), and look good in my humble opinion.
-Carpe Diem Phil 1:20
jpat30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Slvr02Laredo

Thanks a lot everyone and thanks 3dog, I did some research on tire rack and for what I'll most likely be dealing with, I think I'm going with the cooper discoverer HTS. It's for highway use and is good for wet/dry roads and had very good reviews for a pretty cheap tire. I live in northern Arizona which is mostly dry during the summer but can get pretty wet in the winter.

Thanks again for all the input guys!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.