Another Rust Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another Rust Thread

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Another Rust Thread

Sorry to be posting so many threads lately. But my Jeep has not been in service for 3months. And Before that I only had it a week. lol

Anyway, found rust in some places and rather worried about it. I am $10K in on the jeep, so there is no going back. At least for the next 4-5 Years. Most of the rust seems to be surface rust, and on components under the car. The actual underneath of the car seems fine, but Two areas concern me. Rocker rails and the door, Both are pictured. This car has been to the beach or up north withour any question. Thoughts?

img_0074.jpg

img_0077.jpg

img_0078.jpg

img_0080.jpg

img_0081.jpg

img_0082.jpg

img_0088.jpg

Thegdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

The only thing that looked really concerning to me was that hole in what looks like the rocker rails. I've seen some pretty bad rot on those if they're not taken care of like that.
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:18 PM   #3
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspah
The only thing that looked really concerning to me was that hole in what looks like the rocker rails. I've seen some pretty bad rot on those if they're not taken care of like that.
The rockers are in bad shape. Most likely going to have to replace them. Rusted out bad!
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Does anyone have in advise on repairing Rusted out rockers? Going to talk to a local body shop in a few weeks about fixing it. Any thoughts on cost? Hoping this can be fixed for under $3K!
Unread 07-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #5
coopdc78
2004 WJ 

They sell whole rockers where u cut out old and put new ones in for about 120 a side..forget ..I think it was a moose site too
Unread 07-21-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
fosterjd79
2004 WJ 

Everything looks normal except for the rockers, as mentioned already. Definitely take care of those. The other thing I do to slow the rust is at every oil change/tire rotation I get underneath and wire wheel any surface rust off. Then I hit the bare spot with a rustoleum vehicle primer. I always have new spots because the undercarriage takes a beating on the trails.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.