Another noisy rear end thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another noisy rear end thread

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
dave1998ZJ

Another noisy rear end thread

I bought an '04 Limited with the 4.7HO earlier this year. I noticed that the driver's side rear axle was leaking and that the diff made a groaning noise on slow left turns (particularly in my work parking garage). It sounded exactly like
, only louder.

So I started changing fluids, I needed to anyway because I didn't know how long it had been. I changed the TC with the correct GM fluid, piece of cake. Then this past Saturday I tackled the rear diff. Since I didn't have a lot of time (or so I thought), I decided to just change the fluid and replace the seal later. The pan came off easily and I went to town cleaning it out and prepping for the new seal. I got the cover back on and went to fill it up.

Whoever said that you don't need to lift the body to fill the diff clearly never saw my Jeep. With the tires on the ground and the body as high as it'd go on my jackstands, it took me the better part of an hour to fill the damn thing. Even with the sway bar out of the way, the fluid bottle couldn't be "tipped" high enough to squirt into the fill hole because of the gas tank. I tried using rubber hose with little luck. All I could manage was about 1/4 of a bottle before it wouldn't squirt. I found the best bet was to just fill 1/4 bottle, refill bottle, and squirt in another 1/4. Repeat. What a pain.

Anyway... I got it all buttoned up and it doesn't leak. And it still makes noise.

I know I need to replace the axle seal and check that out, but now I'm worried that the diff itself is shot. I'd think that fresh fluid would help a lot, even if it was slowly leaking out. For the record, I used Mobil 1 LS 75W-140, with NO friction modifier.

I'll go ahead and add FM to the rear if it might help, but I think this problem goes beyond that.
What are the odds that I'm going to need a replacement?
For the axle seal, is it the same PN as the Dana 35? I can't find a kit for the D44.

dave1998ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Jaketit
2002 WJ 

Ha ha. You said correct GM fluid?? Next time go to harbor freight and buy yourself a cheap oil fill pump. It screws on top of the oil bottles and you just pump squirt it in way easier than the old tilt the bottle trick. And as for the noise it's almost always there even with the right amount of FM,at least it is in my case. Mine had been doing that on slow sharp turns since I've had it and I've changed both diffs with Mobil 75 140 with FM twice now. It never seems to go away. But I'm pretty sure my quadra drive works well. Definitely add the FM ASAP though. I put one 4 oz bottle in each. I had a thread going on this topic not to long ago and I got quite a few different responses on how much to use.
Jaketit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
dave1998ZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketit View Post
Ha ha. You said correct GM fluid??
Oops, I meant Mopar. My head's stuck on the other POS that gives me headaches.
dave1998ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #4
Cirruslydakota
1999 WJ 

Even though the Mobil gear oil says it has friction modifier in it add the oem stuff anyway. Mine did the exact same thing when I changed it and I added fluid and drove around in figure 8's till the chatter went away. Ended up using the entire bottle. If you want 75w-140 gear oil without FM in it you'll need to buy it from Mopar, I believe that and the redline fluid are the only ones like that. Regardless my quadradrive works fine.
Cirruslydakota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Big_Wall
2010 JK Wrangler 

I have the same binding noise coming from my rear drive shaft. Changed out the tc and diff fluids making sure to use MOPAR fluids. Still had noise. Replaced the viscous coupler in the tc and still had noise. My mechanic took out the front drive shaft and drove it around. No noise from the rear driving it that way. I recently had my WJ in the dealership and had them check it out. The said that I need new carrier bearings in the front and rear diffs. The front was definately worse off and that is why there was no noise when the drive shaft was disconnected. $1400/ diff at the dealer, $900/diff done by my mechanic.
Big_Wall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.