Another losing water thread. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another losing water thread.

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still AvailableCurrie Currectlync Steering Upgrade Kits and Currie Anti-R

Unread 06-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
rustysjeep

Another losing water thread.

2000 Jeep grand Cherokee Laredo 6 cylinder. I have been losing water for the last 3 years. Adding water no and then. Never any water in the oil or on the oil fill cap. It seems to have gotten worse lately.
What could be the problem and how hard is it to change the head and or gasket.

rustysjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Yeah, those symptoms happened to me a few years ago, too. It turned out it was the radiator slowly leaking steam under pressure, but wasn't apparent for quite some time until it separated enough to be seen squirting raw fluid everywhere and now an obvious steam cloud . There was a split in the seal where they crimp the plastic ends to the aluminum part of the radiator from the factory. Ultimately a new radiator fixed that problem for me, but as always, everybody's mileage will vary.

It didn't take me that long to replace, about a couple of hours and it wasn't that bad. You could to it within an hour if you hustle.
Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
R0CKKR4WL3R
2001 WJ 

Had my WJ for a year now, over time I noticed a periodical whisp of steam from under the hood. Recently blew the radiator in it, with a 10" crack down the driver's side. I have reason to believe that there may have been a crack and it created the weakest point in the radiator, as although running hot, it never actually hit the red zone of the gage.
After going backwards down the line, I realized after swapping out the radiator, the fan motor was dead, and once replacing that, the fan was stuck in the "on" position even after the ignition was off. So once I replaced the relay, I came to the conclusion the relay kept the fan on, which burnt out the motor and eventually blew the radiator. The temp that day in particular was 93-degrees and I was stuck in traffic. How convenient...

So yes, without a doubt, there has to be a crack/ slow leak in the radiator. My overflow bottle was ALWAYS empty and "Low Coolant" alarm was always on until I refilled it.
R0CKKR4WL3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
rustysjeep

I lost about half gallon in 6 days and noticed the inside of the oil cap on the valve cover has a little water on it. The dip stick is clean, no traces of oil.
Unread 06-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Jaspah
2002 WJ 

I'm also losing coolant, but at a very slow pace so far. I top off the coolant reservoir probably every other month or so. My oil is clean and I have no signs of froth or a milkshake mixture, nor has the shop said anything upon changing the oil last time I went.

It visibly leaks when I am parked with the front higher than the rear, but not when it's on a level surface. I'm thinking about adding a UV dye to it and seeing if I can find the leak that way. :\
Jaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
jpaytoncfd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysjeep View Post
I lost about half gallon in 6 days and noticed the inside of the oil cap on the valve cover has a little water on it. The dip stick is clean, no traces of oil.
The dip stick has no traces of OIL!!! THat might be your problem. lol.

Anyway, I had the same Radiator problem. Let it warm up and watch your radiator carefully. Do it where there is no wind and remove the fan relay. Then just look for steam. Sometime doing it in the dark with a flashlight makes it easier to see the steam.
jpaytoncfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
jpaytoncfd

PS watch your temp gauge carefully while doing this. Running with out the fan can over heat if your not careful.
jpaytoncfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
Jer-Bear
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Jeeps are bad about condensation at start up if you only drive them a few miles. I'd be concerned if it looked like that after it was driven awhile. Sounds like a cracked radiator to me.
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
rustysjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaytoncfd View Post
The dip stick has no traces of OIL!!! THat might be your problem. lol.

Anyway, I had the same Radiator problem. Let it warm up and watch your radiator carefully. Do it where there is no wind and remove the fan relay. Then just look for steam. Sometime doing it in the dark with a flashlight makes it easier to see the steam.

I meant no traces of water on the dipstick, no oil would be a problem.
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
rustysjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer-Bear View Post
Jeeps are bad about condensation at start up if you only drive them a few miles. I'd be concerned if it looked like that after it was driven awhile. Sounds like a cracked radiator to me.

It will get up to running temp. I havenīt really gone that far with it recently. Probably 5 miles at a time. I just checked it before, I drove it a few times the other day and it had some condensation under the cap. The oil level was the same and the oil was fine, it looked like oil with about 3k on it. I am going to change it this week sometime.
Unread 06-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
BIGBADWOLF
2004 WJ 

Quote:
It will get up to running temp. I havenīt really gone that far with it recently. Probably 5 miles at a time. I just checked it before, I drove it a few times the other day and it had some condensation under the cap. The oil level was the same and the oil was fine, it looked like oil with about 3k on it. I am going to change it this week sometime.
Do a blot test before changing oil. 2 drops hot oil from dipstick onto a business card. Glycol can be detected with this method.
BIGBADWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
Sweetjackal
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I've noticed a similar loss I coolant. I get the "coolant low" warning every couple months. I just keep topping it off. Occasionally I get a small puddle of coolant on the pavement under the passenger side near the rear of the engine bay near the firewall.i also have some coolant sludge/wetness on the passenger firewall under the carpet. I feel like it could bee heater core. But the leak is slow In my case. Worth a double check for you

00 WJ Limited - 4.7L Quadra-Crap, 3" IRO lift kit, JK Sahara 32's. Urban Wheeler / Daily Driver
Sweetjackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #13
rustysjeep

Changed the oil today, no water or anti freeze in it. Started the truck with the new oil....40PSI at idle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.