Another HVAC Blend Door problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another HVAC Blend Door problem.

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 06-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
Twospeed
2002 WJ 

Another HVAC Blend Door problem.

I need some help with the HVAC on a 02 Grand Cherokee with ATZ controls. I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and pulled the dash because my recirc door was broken and I thought my blend door on the passenger side was broken also. It turned out it wasn’t, it had a bad actuator, but I already had the blend door replacement from Jeep so I went ahead and replaced it with the new metal door and replaced the driver side along with the recirc door, which by the way wasn’t there at all. It had been removed but the cage was there. Go figure. Anyway, I put the HVAC unit back together after cleaning it up and I checked that the blend doors moved freely before I put the actuators back on. I reinstalled it in and the dash and everything worked fine. A few days ago, the passenger side starts blowing hot air. I checked for errors and there is a code 56, Right side blend door travel too far. So I thought, well, I’ll recalibrate the doors and see what happens. After I did that, the door starts working again and the code 56 is gone. A couple of days later, hot air on the passenger side again and code 56. I recalibrated again and it’s working again for a couple of days then code 56 and hot air again. So now I’m confused as what to do. I need some opinions here. Bad actuator or bad controller? Is there a way to test either? Also, the air flow on the passenger side is rather low. I don’t know if that is related or not. Help!

Update 8/11/10: It was the controller. I found a used one at a salvage yard for $20 and installed it. All has been well for a few weeks now. No more error codes.

Last edited by Twospeed; 08-11-2010 at 02:19 PM.. Reason: Update: Resolved
Twospeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.