Another Bloody Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another Bloody Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #1
bobknott
2001 WJ 

Another Bloody Problem

Okay guys & gals. I have lost my electrics on the drivers door. No electric windows on any door, no courtesy light on the drivers door, no mirror control & the drivers door won't lock on the remote. At the same time the car heater is only blowing cold air regardless of setting. I don't know if door & heater are related but would love to hear some suggestions

bobknott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
bobknott
2001 WJ 

So I have disconnected the battery, waited 30mins & reconnected.

Heater now pumps out heat, but now wont adjust down. Courtesy lights working now. All other faults remain.

Have disconnected battery again & I'm cleaning the connections from body to door with contact cleaner. Will reassemble connector before reconnecting battery.

Here's hoping.
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #3
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

check the wiring going into the drivers door, the ground wire tends to break and cause lose of windows/lock ect... pop the boot offone end and peak around the wire to look for any cracks or breaks.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
bobknott
2001 WJ 

Found a broken black in cable going to the door. About to fix that. Best of all now the aircon now blows cold when set to hi & hot when set to low!!! FFS!!
Unread 03-15-2014, 11:06 AM   #5
its-me-B
2002 WJ 

the black one is the ground to all the drivers door controls. i just fixed mine a few weeks back should be simple and quick. hopefully that will help with some of the issues...
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #396
its-me-B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #6
bobknott
2001 WJ 

Well I've mended the wire but there is a contact problem in the connector itself. Enough for today. I will carry on tomorrow.

Still can't get my head around the aircon reversing it's settings though
Unread 03-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #7
bobknott
2001 WJ 

So final chapter. I found the orange cable broken as well as the black. So I replaced this too but still windows & door lights refused to work. Before I went any deeper by cutting off the boot around the cables to inspect if further, I decided to disconnect the battery & leave for 30 mins. Low & behold when I reconnected everything booted up & works fine.

Lessons learnt = Orange & black door cables are very vulnerable but more importantly reset the on board electronics by disconnecting the battery for at least 15 mins before going any further into fault finding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.