Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Alternate options for wj spring spacers

3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  BajaUtah 
#1 ·
OK so I have a BDS 2" spring lift on my wj. Since a have a v8 and after doing some measuring it looks like im a half inch lower in the front than in the rear. I'd like to get to 3" all the way around. There aren't many spacer options for wj's but I see alot for other jeeps. If my searching is correct it looks like I should be able to use TJ rear spacers and JK front spacers to level the old girl out. Has anyone had any experience doing this?

#2 ·
Have you ever considered getting the Up-country springs which give you 1 inch over stock springs AND using the spacers? Ie; 2.5 in the front and 2 in the rear to not only give you your 3 inches, but also level the jeep out. Also, don't forget that while you're in there it would be helpful to check the condition of your Spring isolators (the thing that seats your springs) for wear. What year/mileage are you at on your WJ. They usually cause the most sagging from springs, thus not truly giving you all of the lift you're looking for. Lastly, lifting a WJ 3 inches will require a handful of other parts keep that in mind!

#3 ·
It's an 02 with 142k I hadn't considered the upcountry 1" springs. The 2" springs I got with my lift seam much beefier than stock as it is. I was planing on just trying to get/make some 1.5" spacers for the front and 1" for the rear and call it a day. I've already got a transfer drop kit to hopefully alleviate any drive line binding and was planning on a rear arm spacer as well.

#4 ·
ahh I had misread your post, I thought you already had 2inch spacers, my mistake! Well the Up-country springs are actually a pretty damn good set of springs, Kolak (Forum Vendor) stated they last about 150k miles. Also, it is to my knowledge that T-case drop kits are not necessary until you get into the 4 + inches of lift, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Don't forget to check your front drive shaft to see if you have Factory U-joints installed or not. At that mileage if you have the conventional drive shaft the lift will wear it out much faster than regular height.

#7 ·
Do you think the lift would have maintained a factory rake like that? i would have assumed it would try to level and lift. per the manufacturers web site it says to not expect full lift with v8 engine do to weight. Reguardless i've seen where people were swapping in JK front springs in to WJ's no problem so i would think this means the upper spring perch is the same. And the same goes for ZJ/TJ rear springs. seams like a shame we don't have as many parts options as some of the other models.

#8 ·
There really isn't much weight difference between the 4.7 and the 4.0. Spring sag differences would be minimal.

Some lifts do maintain the factory rake. To "level" the jeep, you'll need about .5-.75" extra in the front. There are a few ways to go about that since you already have 2" springs.

1. Cut a BB to the size you want.
2. Buy 3/4" spacers from dahrkstorm on eBay.
3. Use 1 or 2 OME 10 MM spacers.
4. Add an extra upper isolator.

Whatever you chose, be sure it's safe. If you're altering or stacking items, don't get carried away.

#9 ·
Yeah looks as if just buying the standard 2" BB spacers and cutting them down will be my best option since I'd really like to do 1.5 front 1.0 rear. was just hoping to come up with a route i didn't have to break out the saw. Oh well there are worse things in life.

#12 ·
You're right. You shouldn't stack spacers. OP has 2" springs and wants to use a spacer with the spring lift to level the stance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.