Altenator running low - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Altenator running low

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 11-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
ladyjen
2003 WJ 

Wj Altenator running low

Hi,
We own a Jeep GC 2003 in South Africa which we bought for overlanding and have just completed a trip to Botswana. When I had the second battery we added to run the fridge checked I was told that the altenator was running a bit low. What does this mean, is it getting worn out?

ladyjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

I'm an auto tech in America but I'm not too sure what they mean by "running low". If you have added any electrical accessories to your vehicle that are going to draw a considerable amount of power, more than a few extra light bulbs, that will put a greater demand on your alternator. The stock alternator may not be able to handle the load of your fridge and maybe that is what the person meant by running low. My advice would be just to buy yourself a better aftermarket alternator that has the capability of producing more power to compensate for the added accessories.
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
ladyjen
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_wj_QD View Post
I'm an auto tech in America but I'm not too sure what they mean by "running low". If you have added any electrical accessories to your vehicle that are going to draw a considerable amount of power, more than a few extra light bulbs, that will put a greater demand on your alternator. The stock alternator may not be able to handle the load of your fridge and maybe that is what the person meant by running low. My advice would be just to buy yourself a better aftermarket alternator that has the capability of producing more power to compensate for the added accessories.
The altenator charge rate was lower than expected. The guy that tested it gave me the numbers but I can't remember exactly what they were.

We added a CTEK250S in the back of the vehicle were the 2nd battery is located in a Atwood Battery Box.

Even without a load on it, i.e., the fridge he said the charge rate was running below what it should be.

Parts are very expensive in South Africa especially ones from the states, so I was thinking since I live here in Alabama perhaps I should try to take an alternator with me when we go for our next trip. Only problem is it is Right hand drive so I understand that the altenator would have to be right handed to, right?
Unread 11-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
99_wj_QD
1999 WJ 

If your alternator output is low regardless of load then the alternator is failing because of age, time for a new one. If you decide to replace the alternator I would put a stronger one in there just to help out with the added load.

As far as the alternator being different depending on right or left hand drive, first I'm curious if your jeep has either the 4.0 or the 4.7 gasoline or is it a diesel engine?
99_wj_QD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #5
ladyjen
2003 WJ 

Quote:
If your alternator output is low regardless of load then the alternator is failing because of age, time for a new one. If you decide to replace the alternator I would put a stronger one in there just to help out with the added load.

As far as the alternator being different depending on right or left hand drive, first I'm curious if your jeep has either the 4.0 or the 4.7 gasoline or is it a diesel engine?
The Jeep is a 2003 4.7 V8 gasoline.
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
narnwv

2000 WJ 

Quote:
If your alternator output is low regardless of load then the alternator is failing because of age, time for a new one.
Not necessarily. The output of the alternator is determined by a few things, the primary sensor being the battery temperature sensor under the battery.

OP: A cheap, bolt in replacement for the 136amp alternator on a 4.7 is one from a 2005+ 4.7 Durango. It's cheaper than the Jeep one, and rated for 160amps.

The fridge should be drawing all of it's power from your second battery, only needing the alternator to recharge as needed. What battery isolation system are you using?

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #7
ladyjen
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narnwv View Post
Not necessarily. The output of the alternator is determined by a few things, the primary sensor being the battery temperature sensor under the battery.

OP: A cheap, bolt in replacement for the 136amp alternator on a 4.7 is one from a 2005+ 4.7 Durango. It's cheaper than the Jeep one, and rated for 160amps.

The fridge should be drawing all of it's power from your second battery, only needing the alternator to recharge as needed. What battery isolation system are you using?
We are using the CTEK250S.

A cheap, bolt in replacement for the 136amp alternator on a 4.7 is one from a 2005+ 4.7 Durango. It's cheaper than the Jeep one, and rated for 160amps.

Would this work on a Right Hand Drive vehicle?
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
narnwv

2000 WJ 

It *should*, but you'll have to Cross check part numbers to verify

narnwv is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.