Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

All rear Lights are out

445 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  skipperau 
#1 ·
Hi. Wj Limited Model 2000.
I replaced some of the bulbs to LED type.
Now all rear lights not working (parking, brake, ....)
Appreciate solution comments.

#2 ·

2 things come immediately to mind, the obvious one is to check your fuses, the other is it is common on WJ's for the tail light assembly to get hot and the earth tabs recess into the plastic, check that. There are YouTube videos on how to fix that.

#3 ·

Check the fuse. If it's popped it may be a short in a harness by the transmission shift linkage. It's in split loom but the loom can sometimes ride up exposing the wire casing which will rub on the sharp metal edge eventually shorting to ground. Had that happen to me. There is also something else that stops working on that circuit but cant remember what it was. Good luck

#4 ·
It is possible you installed the LED's improperly.... LEDs are polarity sensitive, electricity will only flow one way and it's possible that you might have installed all or some of them backwards. Try that first then check your fuses. It's possible as well that there is no longer enough resistance too which is indicated by LED blinkers blinking way too rapidly. Possibly might have blown the fuse as a result?

If you have a voltmeter try to see if you still have power to the sockets, and like I said figure out which side of the socket is + and which is -.

#5 ·
It is possible you installed the LED's improperly.... LEDs are polarity sensitive, electricity will only flow one way and it's possible that you might have installed all or some of them backwards. Try that first then check your fuses. It's possible as well that there is no longer enough resistance too which is indicated by LED blinkers blinking way too rapidly. Possibly might have blown the fuse as a result.

is -.
Good point, cheap no name LED's are polarity sensitive but the 3157 bulbs we use in Grands live in a socket style fitting designed to eliminate that problem, or should anyway.
Low resistance "should not" cause them to not work, nor to blow fuses , merely to have the indicators blink rapidly as you said. And if you have lamp out warning lights they may light up with cheap LED's for the same reason.

#6 ·
Parking Lights out - Problem solved

Dear Guys
Thank you all for your response.
I have to apologize since the problem was not described accurately .
Only the parking light did not work.
The parking lights fuse had to be replaced.
Now, I noticed the result of replacing the blinking indicator bulb to LED is it is blinking too rapidly. I assume the LED resistance is significantly lower compare to the original bulb.
Any one managed to solve the LED fast blinking issue ?

#7 ·
Dear Guys

Thank you all for your response.

I have to apologize since the problem was not described accurately .

Only the parking light did not work.

The parking lights fuse had to be replaced.

Now, I noticed the result of replacing the blinking indicator bulb to LED is it is blinking too rapidly. I assume the LED resistance is significantly lower compare to the original bulb.

Any one managed to solve the LED fast blinking issue ?
Correct, the rapid flashing is due to low resistance. There is a small resistor pigtail you can buy already made up to solder across the terminals to increase the resistance back to near "normal" levels. Or if you're handy you can make them up yourself with some 16G wire and 1000ohm resistors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.