All out BLACK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > All out BLACK

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
GrandGuy
2002 WJ 

All out BLACK

Ever since I Plasti-Dipped my rims I've wanted to do more. Since the gray part of my Jeep constantly needs to be redone in order to look nice I figured, why not Plasti-Dip it. So I did...

image-3131914066.jpg

image-601600278.jpg

image-395850694.jpg

By the way, does anyone have any advice on how to 'properly' take off the tape? I don't want to destroy what I've just done.

<> 02 WJ <> 4.7L V8 <> Skyjacker H7016 Hydro Shock W/Red Boot <> Original Rims - Plasti-Dipped <> Cladding's Plasti-Dipped <> Ionic Predator Push Bar <> Fogged Tail Lights <> BF Goodrich Tires <> You know you drive a WJ when you see another lifted WJ and wonder if he's on the forum. <>
GrandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
buns_1
2004 WJ 

Nice! A lot better looking than the grey. Not sure about the tape. I would go along the edge with a toothpick and separate the tape first.
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
rcwj04

2004 WJ 

^what he said, toothpicks won't scratch anything either

Quote:
You forget that most members here don't own a crystal ball to tell you exactly what your problem is, specially with bad pictures that don't say/show much of anything... -Jacko84

Just a 19 year old kid with a Jeep, and broke because of it, and loving every moment.
---------------------------------------------------------------
2004 WJ Laredo 4.0 116k
2" BDS coils & Bilstein 5100's | Addco rear swaybar with energy bushings |
K&N FIPK | glasspack | plasti-dipped badges | 17" moabs | HID's, 245/65/17 Cooper Discover AT3 | Rola rack | Fawkes stand alone shackle tabs | Bed lined interior (what a pain that was)
rcwj04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
KayCeeJeep
2004 WJ 

And the sooner you take it off the better.
KayCeeJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #5
Schlotzky
2007 XK Commander 

I'd say the "proper" way to take off the tape is to spray it and immediately remove the tape while it's still wet, otherwise you'll have to cut along the taped edge as mentioned.
Schlotzky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
BigWheel7
1999 WJ 

From what I have read, I heard the plasti-dip doesn't stick well to the cladding on the laredo's but sticks well to the limited's cladding. How is yours sticking?
BigWheel7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
01ShowMeWJ
2001 WJ 

I'm glad you put this on here. I was thinking about doing the same thing when I get back from my deployment. I have the Shale Green top and I hate the "gray" cladding on the bottom. Yours looks good. Can't wait to get mine done.
01ShowMeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #8
madslynge87
2000 WJ 

For what i have read Plasti dip will not hold up very well on the plastic claddings... But hope for you i'm wrong Looks good btw
madslynge87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
GrandGuy
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWheel7
From what I have read, I heard the plasti-dip doesn't stick well to the cladding on the laredo's but sticks well to the limited's cladding. How is yours sticking?
Once I'm finished with the Plasti-Dipping part I'm going to put wax on it so that there is a layer or so of wax on it. This way if you were to scratch it, you would scratch the wax, not the Plasti-Dip. I did it on my Dads Tahoe and if you scratch it with your finger it doesn't effect the Plasti-Dip at all.

Since the cladding is close to the ground I'll probably do about 3 coats of wax on it so that it really won't come off. You just have to put the first coat on REALLY gently or you'll rub the Plasti-Dip off.
<> 02 WJ <> 4.7L V8 <> Skyjacker H7016 Hydro Shock W/Red Boot <> Original Rims - Plasti-Dipped <> Cladding's Plasti-Dipped <> Ionic Predator Push Bar <> Fogged Tail Lights <> BF Goodrich Tires <> You know you drive a WJ when you see another lifted WJ and wonder if he's on the forum. <>
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
BigWheel7
1999 WJ 

I believe there was more a problem with the Plasti-dip just didn't like to adhere very well to the cladding of the Laredo. I personally like the look of the flat black of the Plasti-dip then I do of the glossy satin finishes other members have done.
BigWheel7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
GrandGuy
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwj04 View Post
^what he said, toothpicks won't scratch anything either
I see in your picture that you have the Grand Cherokee blacked out , did you do this yourself. I'd love to do it myself but I feel like I'll screw it up. Any tips?
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
Terminal
2000 WJ 

Michael Knight, is that you?

-Kitt
th_scanner-kitt-knight-rider-portugal.gif

Terminal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
car5car
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ShowMeWJ View Post
I'm glad you put this on here. I was thinking about doing the same thing when I get back from my deployment. I have the Shale Green top and I hate the "gray" cladding on the bottom. Yours looks good. Can't wait to get mine done.
Get a spray can, no reason to use anything else.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.