Alignment issues at shop after 3 inch lift? - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Alignment issues at shop after 3 inch lift?

Okay so I put a 3in lift on my wj last week and the next day i took it up to sears to get the alignment done because i paid for alignments for a year. They turned me away which i find very confusing, they said to many adjustable parts, their computers are set for stock trucks. So the only adjustable part from the lift is my track bar everything else is the same, tires included 245/75/R16. I'm just wondering what could of changed so much that they can't do the alignment now or did they just push me out the door? As always any advice would be very helpful!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 12:26 PM
WJCO
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag93 View Post
Okay so I put a 3in lift on my wj last week and the next day i took it up to sears to get the alignment done because i paid for alignments for a year. They turned me away which i find very confusing, they said to many adjustable parts, their computers are set for stock trucks. So the only adjustable part from the lift is my track bar everything else is the same, tires included 245/75/R16. I'm just wondering what could of changed so much that they can't do the alignment now or did they just push me out the door? As always any advice would be very helpful!
What changed was they would have had to stop being lazy and get up and help a customer. The only adjustable part they would have had to deal with would be control arms which you said were not adjustable anyways. They should have helped you out. There's no reason they couldn't align your vehicle. Also by you lifting your vehicle, the only standard alignment angle that changed would be the caster. The camber and toe remain the same.

Zone 4,33s,Herculined,roofrack,Zeon 8s,grill guard,washer relocated,DIY tire carrier,sliders.
post #3 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
What changed was they would have had to stop being lazy and get up and help a customer. The only adjustable part they would have had to deal with would be control arms which you said were not adjustable anyways. They should have helped you out. There's no reason they couldn't align your vehicle. Also by you lifting your vehicle, the only standard alignment angle that changed would be the caster. The camber and toe remain the same.
Yea I figured, the caster will only effect the drive shaft angle right? And yea guess I should of had an alignment done before hand...

If it can't be fixed with Duct tape, it can't be fixed
post #4 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 01:11 PM
WJCO
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag93 View Post
Yea I figured, the caster will only effect the drive shaft angle right? And yea guess I should of had an alignment done before hand...
Caster can create a pull if one side is different than the other. But that is near impossible on a solid axle unless an arm is bent. It's more common to have a pull on IFS style suspensions.

As caster gets more positive, it will allow your vehicle to handle better, but does create a steeper pinion angle and can cause driveline vibrations. You can pick up a cheap magnetic angle finder at Lowes or Harbor Freight and check it yourself. Very easy to do.

Zone 4,33s,Herculined,roofrack,Zeon 8s,grill guard,washer relocated,DIY tire carrier,sliders.
post #5 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCO View Post

Caster can create a pull if one side is different than the other. But that is near impossible on a solid axle unless an arm is bent. It's more common to have a pull on IFS style suspensions.

As caster gets more positive, it will allow your vehicle to handle better, but does create a steeper pinion angle and can cause driveline vibrations. You can pick up a cheap magnetic angle finder at Lowes or Harbor Freight and check it yourself. Very easy to do.
Might have to look into that!

post #6 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 02:05 PM
12tamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag93
How do you pay for alignments for a year?
You mean you paid for an alignment, and it's supposed to be good for a year? Idk
post #7 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tamale View Post
How do you pay for alignments for a year?
You mean you paid for an alignment, and it's supposed to be good for a year? Idk
Its warrantied, they literally told me i could bring it back everday if i wanted to and now they are giving me all thiss bull, its no wonder sears is in the toilet

post #8 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 06:28 PM
12tamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dag93
Its warrantied, they literally told me i could bring it back everday if i wanted to and now they are giving me all thiss bull, its no wonder sears is in the toilet
I'd probably ask for my money back. Go somewhere else, if they don't want to do it.
post #9 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tamale View Post

I'd probably ask for my money back. Go somewhere else, if they don't want to do it.
Yea I really don't want to ply hard ball, I'm not a fan. But it was $120 so yea i feel cheted

post #10 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 08:29 PM
99SK04GTX
2004 WJ 

If you paid with a credit card you can dispute the charge
post #11 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SK04GTX View Post
If you paid with a credit card you can dispute the charge
I paid with debit 😒

post #12 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 08:53 PM
jetrinka
2002 WJ 

They should align it. They shouldn't need to touch the track bar because it should have been adjusted to center the axle during the lift install, not during the alignment. That only leaves the tie rod and drag link to adjust both of which are stock equipment. Tell them to do a toe set. Its all that they should and can do. The toe spec doesn't change just because its lifted.
post #13 of 34 Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Dag93
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post
They should align it. They shouldn't need to touch the track bar because it should have been adjusted to center the axle during the lift install, not during the alignment. That only leaves the tie rod and drag link to adjust both of which are stock equipment. Tell them to do a toe set. Its all that they should and can do. The toe spec doesn't change just because its lifted.
Yea i guess there is a reason why there is only one sears auto center left in my area

post #14 of 34 Old 03-25-2016, 09:31 AM
-HAZARD-
2004 WJ 

I wouldn't fully blame them.

1. It's now a modified vehicle (most likely not technically even state legal, if your state inspects), which changes their liability in working on it.
2. They sold you a service based on what they saw at the time. A stock vehicle. You changed that aspect of it.

Personally, I would free your mind of feeling like they cheated you.
post #15 of 34 Old 03-25-2016, 09:57 AM
12tamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HAZARD-
I wouldn't fully blame them. 1. It's now a modified vehicle (most likely not technically even state legal, if your state inspects), which changes their liability in working on it. 2. They sold you a service based on what they saw at the time. A stock vehicle. You changed that aspect of it. Personally, I would free your mind of feeling like they cheated you.
I'm the same way.
I'll align it, but I won't stand behind it. Stuff comes loose, people off-road them. Blah blah. His was changed from the last time he brought it in. Not really there fault.
I charge 60 to set the toe. 120 is a rip.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.