Alarm wont stop - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Alarm wont stop

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-17-2013, 06:16 PM   #31
Big_Wall
2001 WJ 

It's apparently in the dash. They asked me if I was getting water in the dash. I'll ask them when I pick it up tomorrow. They just called back to say that while replacing the powertrain control module fixed all the other problems, the key would still not shut off the alarm. He said that it is extremely common for the wireing harnes in the door to become brittle and for the wires to break inside the insulation. They are now tracing down what wires are broken and splicing in new wire. My condensor drain hose was also apparently clogged and that is where the water in the floorboards was coming from. It would drain some but not all the way. With all the humidity we have lately the tank overflowed. They are fixing that for me for free.

I also need to replace the carrier bearings in the front and rear differentials. That's another $2600 if I have them do it. He said that it can wait for a while though. I knew that was coming and had been saving money for it. I just had to keep fixing other things and hadn't been able to get that done yet.

Big_Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #32
Big_Wall
2001 WJ 

The PCM is in the engine compartment on the left side between the coolant overflow tank and the firewall. After reading what this does, I need to ask them exactly what this has to do with the problem.
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #33
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Wall View Post
The PCM is in the engine compartment on the left side between the coolant overflow tank and the firewall. After reading what this does, I need to ask them exactly what this has to do with the problem.
After reading, here, with all the rain there, and another thread, where someone washed their engine bay, I wonder if I shouldn't water-proof my PCM somehow. Wrap it in plastic, or spray water repellant into it. WD-40 is supposed to be a water repellant. I don't know about wrapping it in plastic, though, as it could overheat it.

Sent from my iPad using my fingers
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:31 PM   #34
Big_Wall
2001 WJ 

Come to think about it, I did wash out my engine compartment a few days before this happened. I had the upper radiator hose blow and was trying to wash out all the anti-freeze.
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #35
wingman27
2001 WJ 

Any word on your fix yet? Mine is still no where!! So frustrating and mad wit this and my break in!!
Unread 09-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #36
Thomahawk
JEEP ADDICTED

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Wall
Come to think about it, I did wash out my engine compartment a few days before this happened. I had the upper radiator hose blow and was trying to wash out all the anti-freeze.
Actually its the security alarm switch That tells the BCM if door Are locked or unlocked, and arm or dearm the alarm.
The BCM is located under the dash next to the fuse box.
Idk if the PCM have anything with this to do,,,

From wjjeeps.com
The PCM is a pre-programmed, triple microprocessor digital computer. It regulates ignition timing, air-fuel ratio, emission control devices, charging system, certain transmission features, speed control, air conditioning compressor clutch engagement and idle speed. The PCM can adapt its programming to meet changing operating conditions.

The BCM utilizes integrated circuitry and information carried on the Programmable Communications Interface (PCI) data bus network along with many hard wired inputs to monitor many sensor and switch inputs throughout the vehicle.The BCM supports many body electrical features such as Interior Lighting, Exterior Lighting, Intermittent Wipers, Remote Radio, Accessory Delay, and Heated Seats.
R.I.P. 2000 Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 V8, Quadradrive, Shale Green Metallic, Agate/Carbon interior, Well modded and highly missed :(

Buildthread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...grade-1813490/

MONEY WILL CONTINUE TO BE THROWN INTO THE RIG UNTIL CONDITION AND SATISFACTION IMPROVES!!!
Thomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #37
Big_Wall
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman27 View Post
Any word on your fix yet? Mine is still no where!! So frustrating and mad wit this and my break in!!
They replaced the PCM and fixed the wireing in the door. He said that the alarm also sends inputs to the PCM. The wires to the driver's door are known to get brittle and break inside their insulation over time. My alarm wouldn't recognize the key in the door so some of the broken wires could definitely have been for the security alarm switch
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #38
wingman27
2001 WJ 

Quote:

They replaced the PCM and fixed the wireing in the door. He said that the alarm also sends inputs to the PCM. The wires to the driver's door are known to get brittle and break inside their insulation over time. My alarm wouldn't recognize the key in the door so some of the broken wires could definitely have been for the security alarm switch
I'm no where closer. All wires in door are fine still nothing came up wit codes that lead nowhere. So PCM fixed your problem?.. Didn't change the bcm?
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #39
Big_Wall
2001 WJ 

Quote:

I'm no where closer. All wires in door are fine still nothing came up wit codes that lead nowhere. So PCM fixed your problem?.. Didn't change the bcm?
Yes, they replaced my PCM. That fixed everything other than the key not shutting off the alarm when I used the key in the door. I looked at the sunroof drain hoses when I got out home tonight. They were all broken and brittle. I think that is where all the water was coming from. I'm going to replace them with vinyl tubing tomorrow.
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #40
wingman27
2001 WJ 

Quote:

Yes, they replaced my PCM. That fixed everything other than the key not shutting off the alarm when I used the key in the door. I looked at the sunroof drain hoses when I got out home tonight. They were all broken and brittle. I think that is where all the water was coming from. I'm going to replace them with vinyl tubing tomorrow.
So how do you shut off the alarm?.. I'm sorry but I'm confused bout ya key issue still..
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:53 PM   #41
Big_Wall
2001 WJ 

After replacing the PCM the fob worked again. Everything worked properly other than unlocking the door with the key wouldn't turn off the alarm. Replacing the broken wiring made it so that unlocking the door with the key would also turn off the alarm. One of the broken wires had to go to the security alarm switch because it works now
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:00 PM   #42
wingman27
2001 WJ 

Quote:
After replacing the PCM the fob worked again. Everything worked properly other than unlocking the door with the key wouldn't turn off the alarm. Replacing the broken wiring made it so that unlocking the door with the key would also turn off the alarm. One of the broken wires had to go to the security alarm switch because it works now
Ok cool imma get one tomorro and hope for the best thank you
Unread 09-18-2013, 10:05 PM   #43
Big_Wall
2001 WJ 

Quote:

Ok cool imma get one tomorro and hope for the best thank you
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by Big_Wall; 09-18-2013 at 11:58 PM..
Unread 09-18-2013, 11:58 PM   #44
Big_Wall
2001 WJ 

Here is what my repair order says: PCM shorted on bus 3.50. Diagnosed, replaced and programmed PCM. Repaired wires in driver's door
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #45
wingman27
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Here is what my repair order says: PCM shorted on bus 3.50. Diagnosed, replaced and programmed PCM. Repaired wires in driver's door
So you do have to reprogram the PCM!? Ugh

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.