Alarm goes of when locking using the remote - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Alarm goes of when locking using the remote

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
jager66
2001 WJ 

Alarm goes of when locking using the remote

Hi- can anyone out there help?
Last night when I tried to lock my WJ using the remote key fob it set the alarm off. I could not 'silence' the alarm using the key fob or by putting the key in the ignition.
When using the remote the central locking locks and unlocks it just sets of the alarm. It doesn't matter which of the two remotes I use either. So I guess the problem is with the Jeep and not the remote?
I can lock the Jeep using the lock switch on the door panel and use the remote to unlock without any problems.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas what the problem is and how to fix?

jager66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
alfaitalia
CRD Pilot!

2004 WJ 

My first guess would be the common broken wire in the rubber boot to the door. The alarm still thinks the door is open so goes off. If my alarm goes accidently (forgot son in car is the norm!) off it usually takes several goes with the remote to stop it. Dont know why buy its performs fine every other way so Ive never bothered to investigate.
Pull back the rubber boot and check those wires.....just a guess but not a lot else to go on without seeing the car.
Unread 05-26-2013, 05:39 AM   #3
jager66
2001 WJ 

Thanks- I've had a look at all the doors the wires all seem to be in good condition.
With our WJ it will not lock if there is a door open it usually jest peeps, a bit like when you get an activation and then unlock it.
This is the alarm going too rather than the horn sounding.
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
jager66
2001 WJ 

OK- it's been a while, but I finally got to go to an Indi to plug into the diagnostics.

No codes showing for alarm activations. The prognosis is a fault with the siren module which is temporarily disconnected. The fob now locks and sets the alarm.
I presume that either the module is faulty or the in built battery has died.
I guess these are Stealer parts only and needs a whole siren module or can the battery be replaced?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.