Airbag off road? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Airbag off road?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-14-2014, 07:29 AM   #1
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Airbag off road?

Has anyone accidentally deployed their airbag while offroading?

I ask because I know on a car U had a few years ago I barely bumped into a tree and they deployed. So I was wondering how sensitive they are on Jeeps and if anyone has unpluged them or anything.

I was thinking about installing a kill switch on them or something.

2000_limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #2
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_limited View Post

I ask because I know on a car U had a few years ago I barely bumped into a tree and they deployed. So I was wondering how sensitive they are on Jeeps and if anyone has unpluged them or anything.

I know my passenger side has a kill switch. I off road with my 02 TJ and nothing has happened. I have hit some hard bumps. I am sure Jeep looked into that when they built them. Cars are probably way more sensitive when it comes to air bags. Dont take my word for it though I really know nothing about this topic.
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
I know my passenger side has a kill switch. I off road with my 02 TJ and nothing has happened. I have hit some hard bumps. I am sure Jeep looked into that when they built them. Cars are probably way more sensitive when it comes to air bags. Dont take my word for it though I really know nothing about this topic.
My friend and I were talking about it and we thought about when action movies have a big truck or what not and they ramp another vehicle out of the way, but the air bag never deploys. LOL
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
Itstime
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

My friend and I were talking about it and we thought about when action movies have a big truck or what not and they ramp another vehicle out of the way, but the air bag never deploys. LOL
I always laugh when they take cover behind a car door as if it will act as a shield. Thats why I cant watch movies!
Itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstime View Post
I always laugh when they take cover behind a car door as if it will act as a shield. Thats why I cant watch movies!
WHAT? You didn't know that all good guys cars are bullet proof and bad guys cars are made of aluminum foil?

Oh and The good guy that is an expert marksman can hit a paper target or beer bottle from a mile away, but will ALWAYS miss the main bad guy when only 2 feet away.
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
rdkendrick
2003 WJ 

Quote:
WHAT? You didn't know that all good guys cars are bullet proof and bad guys cars are made of aluminum foil? Oh and The good guy that is an expert marksman can hit a paper target or beer bottle from a mile away, but will ALWAYS miss the main bad guy when only 2 feet away.
And the bad guys a completely bad shots, the good guy can run through his spray of bullets, but the bad guy gets hit by only one bullet. Another hilarious thing is, bad guys only attack one person at a time, and once they get hit, they don't get back up, but the good guy takes a beating and stays up :-D

Sent from my iPad using electrons
rdkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #7
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:

The only SUV I've heard having an issue with the airbags deploying is the Nissan Xterra. It was being put through an off-road test with others and when they hit a bump at the top of a hill the side curtain bags blew, it ranked the lowest because of that.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
2000_limited
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockracer View Post
The only SUV I've heard having an issue with the airbags deploying is the Nissan Xterra. It was being put through an off-road test with others and when they hit a bump at the top of a hill the side curtain bags blew, it ranked the lowest because of that.
Wow. Good to know.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.