1Likes
  • 1 Post By JMaster

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
JMaster
2004 WJ 

Garage
Air Lift

My rear suspension when hauling a trailer nearly bottoms out now since adding the bigger tires. I decided to order the Air Lift 1000 and install it before my next trip ......did anybody do this ? or has anybody heard of the pros or cons of doing this ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Planetcat
2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaster View Post
My rear suspension when hauling a trailer nearly bottoms out now since adding the bigger tires. I decided to order the Air Lift 1000 and install it before my next trip ......did anybody do this ? or has anybody heard of the pros or cons of doing this ?
My buddy had an air lift on his 2000 WJ. He absolutely loved it for towing or heavy cargo loads. There are no cons, really. It will solve your towing tire rubbing issues.

2010 WK Laredo 5.7L, 2004 WJ 4.7L (totaled), 1959 CJ-5, 1996 XJ (sold), 1989 YJ Wrangler 4.2L (Sold)
post #3 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 10:52 PM
sdg3205
2001 WJ 

I have it.

There is one con - you have to run the air bags with 10 psi minimum, which depending on your shock can make for really rough rides. That said, for $80 its one of the best mods you can do. If you inflate to the maximum 30 psi, it adds significant lift and can level out the jeep in a heart beat if you've got a heavy load.

The lower bag supports are made of an odd rubber that doesn't like aftermarket spacers, so you have to build custom shims to keep them from going lopsided if you aren't running stock suspension.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
JMaster
2004 WJ 

Garage
I do have a 2'' BB so i will need to add something in the back springs to keep the bag from kicking out?
post #5 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 08:47 AM
sdg3205
2001 WJ 

The bags sit on rubber seats, which means you remove the factory bump stops.

If your BB uses a puck spacer UNDER the spring then the diameter of the bump stop seat/inner ring may be a little wider than stock. If so, the air lift seats will fall in on an angle. I made "donuts" out of heavy duty 1/8" sheet rubber to act as a buffer. They are cut tight enough that they are a little tough to slide onto the bag seats, but thick enough to take up the slack in the seat and prevent the seat from falling down.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
JMaster
2004 WJ 

Garage
my bags arrive tomorrow and im taking off on a trip Thursday, im hoping the total install is less than 2 hours but have about 4 hours to dedicate to it if need be. would you mind taking a picture if not i think i understand what you are talking about. my rough country BB does use a puck on the bottom. so i would cut a piece of belting or rubber to make the top surface flatter?
post #7 of 8 Old 06-20-2017, 12:31 PM
drrbr123
2000 WJ 

Airlift used to state that the minimum pressure to avoid premature wear is 5psi. I installed mine about 5 years ago now without issue since, but run it at 6psi minimum to be sure - the minimum can be adjusted if run off an inbuilt compressor which cuts in automatically at 6psi minimum. I installed the compressor behind the off side luggage compartment panel.
Suspension is stock height. Ride is pretty standard at 6psi as it give no additional support at that pressure.
I have a single axle trailer with a nose weight of about 110KG (240lb?) and run it at 15psi which eliminates all pitching. I don't recall how long it took me to install but it was very much longer than 2hours!!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-20-2017, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
JMaster
2004 WJ 

Garage
Thanks, I am not installing an on board compressor i am just putting in the fitting so that i can blow it up with an air compressor. i pull a 16ft car hauler with a sxs on it and hate to see the rear end that close to bottoming out. i am installing this today as long as all goes well with my upper control arm installation. if not today i will post tomorrow if successful or not let people know what they are up against with these things.
Duvall likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.