air conditioning - not cold - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > air conditioning - not cold

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
tonydotigr

air conditioning - not cold

I have an '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8 and recently my air conditioning system is not blowing cold air. This may have happened progressively, but it seems like all of a sudden there's a big change ... almost to the point it doesn't really get cool. The blower still works, just no cold air.

Are there any error codes, signs of failure, known problems, or anything I can look for. Not looking forward to sending it off to the stealership.

Thanks all.

tonydotigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Dodge,Jeep Tech

more then likely blend air doors turn on the ac full cold run it for 2 min go outside to the ac lines if they are ice cold and hot system is working fine and u have a blend air door issue.
Dodge,Jeep Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #3
tonydotigr

What/Where can I get more info on this blend air door issue?

Thanks!

a response here:
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...71#post7713971
tonydotigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
Dodge,Jeep Tech

r and r dash replace broken doors and away u go.
I do on the side but u are a bit far away =)
Dodge,Jeep Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
Ulumanati
2004 TJ Wrangler 

hey man, i have the exact same jeep as you do, and had the same problem for the whole summer, and just yesterday did i venture out and buy a can of 134a refrigerant and put it in, my air is nice and cold once again and it didnt seem to leak from yesterday to today, so im glad i didnt have to go and shell out more than 30 bucks... just an idea
Unread 08-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #6
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulumanati
hey man, i have the exact same jeep as you do, and had the same problem for the whole summer, and just yesterday did i venture out and buy a can of 134a refrigerant and put it in, my air is nice and cold once again and it didnt seem to leak from yesterday to today, so im glad i didnt have to go and shell out more than 30 bucks... just an idea
Unfortunately though you may have a slower leak that will in time make you go out and spend another $30, which is about half of what most shops (around here at least) charge to evac, flush, replace misc. O-rings, and recharge your entire system. Just some food for thought.

Anyway, to the OP, my girlfriend also sports an '03 WJ, Laredo trim, w/o dual climate control (thankfully) and we have an intermittant problem with the A/C blowing warm, then cold air every so often. After having a shop do a shake down of the system, we found out she was about 1/2 a lb. low on R134A, however the cause of the intermittant cold air was due to the push button A/C switch on the dash not working properly. Unfortunately you cannot just replace the switch, you can only but the entire HVAC stack from MOPAR. Good news is, it only runs about $100 and is pretty easy to install yourself in one afternoon.

Next time you turn on the A/C you may try and give the top of the center stack or the side of it a good solid whack and see if you get some cold air to blow through the vents, if so chances are your switch is bad.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #7
Grazsrootz

i dunno, i think my 01 has a small leak because i get cold air, but it just takes like 20 mins just to get the cabin cold. its almost better to drive with the windows open which i usually do.
Grazsrootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 07:24 PM   #8
texster68

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydotigr
I have an '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8 and recently my air conditioning system is not blowing cold air. This may have happened progressively, but it seems like all of a sudden there's a big change ... almost to the point it doesn't really get cool. The blower still works, just no cold air.

Are there any error codes, signs of failure, known problems, or anything I can look for. Not looking forward to sending it off to the stealership.

Thanks all.
You can read the HVAC codes by holding down the AC and Re-circ button simultaneously and turning the drivers side temp control one click clockwise. The codes should show a problem if the blend doors are the problem.

Search this forum for a product called HeaterTreater for more diagnostic information or check the product on Ebay.

Texster68
texster68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.