Air cond. freezing up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Air cond. freezing up

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-03-2003, 10:31 PM   #1
Lodgepole

Air cond. freezing up

Have 2000 G.C. and air cond freezes up even with lots of fan and warmer temp setting. I added a little gas and low pressure is about 30. Dealer said possible cycling switch problem. Has anyone had experience with this? Where is this switch? Does the system have to be opened to change? Help please!

Unread 09-04-2003, 07:44 PM   #2
Scottolan

The lower pressure switch is on the Evaporator canister on the left hand side of the engine compartment.. it's usually either painted black or raw aluminum in color.. There is a switch on top all you do is unscrew it and replace it... it has a check valve on the canister itself so you can remove and replace the switch without loosing any freon and without draining the system..

Most freezing up is due to low freon levels..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodgepole
Have 2000 G.C. and air cond freezes up even with lots of fan and warmer temp setting. I added a little gas and low pressure is about 30. Dealer said possible cycling switch problem. Has anyone had experience with this? Where is this switch? Does the system have to be opened to change? Help please!
Unread 09-05-2003, 07:35 AM   #3
Big Dumb White Guy

where can you get them? besides the stealership?
i need the one that goes on the accumulator tank.

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2003, 07:44 AM   #4
Scottolan

You can try an auto parts store but I just went back to the dealership for mine... The one I had go out was on my Mustang.. It cost me like $20 for the part from Ford...

Not sure how much Dodge/Jeep will charge you for one

Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dumb White Guy
where can you get them? besides the stealership?
i need the one that goes on the accumulator tank.
Unread 10-17-2003, 02:08 PM   #5
Rooster77

Have any of you guys ever had success in finding this Jeep Cycle switch?
I went to the stealership today to get one cause my A/C is not cycling on and off, it only stays on and yes it is full of freon.
The stealership tells me that the switch does not come seperate but as part of the receiver drier and is $350!!!
Rooster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2003, 10:02 AM   #6
Lodgepole

Well Rooster 77, I got a switch only from my dealer for $20. Can remove old one wirhout loosing freon and replace with just your hand. It seems to have cured the problem although I installed it late in our season and haven't taken any long road trips. I think some dealers are out to give you the ROYAL SCREW. I had a Dodge dealer Part # is4897613(5 star) ask me $700 for a 2002 Ram 17 in steel wheel with the chrome overlay. I reported it to the sales manager and he got real upset. I told him his parts department had just alienated a customer. They just don't get it. Part # is 4897613-AB/ 8059051. $19 + tx.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.