Ahhhhh CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ahhhhh CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 03-25-2014, 05:39 AM   #91
squire_wj

If you know someone with a little wire feeder or stick machine and know what there doing that would be the way to go IMO. As for the 90mm bolts they threaded all the way down on my diff.

squire_wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2014, 09:43 AM   #92
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw7353 View Post
Well thanks, thats explaining why these things dont seem to want to come out easy. I dont weld but I saw that process online. Is this a common enough practice that I could I get someone to come out and do that? I ordered some backouts that are a little different from what I've seen before. these have a relatively short reverse thread grabber section that doesn't go down to a point and a hex head on top. It looked to me like it would have less of a possibility of breaking off.
Another question, when I get the 80mm broken stud out and try to put the 90mm bolt in, is the hole tapped all the way down or do I have to add some threads? thanks
Everything Squire said was right on the money. If you know anyone that is even a semi skilled welder he should be able to do the job. If you do not know a welder and if there is a machine or fab shop close by you could discreetly ask if any of the guys has a small welder and if for a small fee they would remove the bolts, often this works because many machinist and welders moonlight.

My next suggestion could be more expensive, if you live near a good sized city, there may be a mobile service that specializes in removing broken taps, drills bolts spark plugs or whatever. Usually they are machinist that went in on their own or they are moonlighting. They get really skilled at removing broken taps drill and bolts because they do it so often in day in and day out work. One guy I know built his own EDM and was making a few extra buck under the table with it. The link below is an example of what to look for.

http://www.brokentap.com/services.html

SO....Search your local yellow pages for broken tap or broken bolt removal service. They should have all the required tools they may even have an EDM machine, although EDM is messy and works better on broken taps and drills than on bolts.

Say...Just so you have the numbers...The original OEM flange bolts with just the ball joint screwed in to a depth of 1.200"

90 mm bolts with flat washer and 2" spacer and the ball joint will screw in to a depth of 1.249" = .049" deeper that is less than one thread deeper so as Squire said thread depth will not be a problem.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:28 AM   #93
rlw7353
2004 WJ 

the 3 broke studs are out! I found a welder to come by and do it using the washer and nut method. now for a weekend put-back-together
rlw7353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #94
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
the 3 broke studs are out! I found a welder to come by and do it using the washer and nut method. now for a weekend put-back-together
Congrats! It should go back together a lot easier.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #95
squire_wj

Glad to hear my method worked out for you.
squire_wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #96
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
You may know this, the Jeep recommended torque for the three bolts is 100 ft/lbs. That may seem low, but it is not low considering the diff is aluminum.
Tollmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2014, 01:22 PM   #97
rlw7353
2004 WJ 

it is done-

for now at least. not something I particulary enjoyed but a necessary project for me and the 16 year old whose main technical skill in life is a iphone. I couldn't get a torque wrench on the 3 bolts so they are as tight as I could apply with a end wrench. Thanks for all the help!
finished.jpg

rlw7353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #98
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

A Crows foot wrench will help with that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.