Ahhhhh CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ahhhhh CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 09-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #46
tinman77
2004 WJ 

Squire I totally agree I strapped the rear axle to the frame and drove 30 miles home with out the rear link.. I could only imagine if that thing broke loose while cruising at 75 miles an hour down the interstate. Gently cruising at 30 miles an hour with out the rear link was white knuckling experience. I called again today and left another message. I will call again and ask for the sales managers boss.

tinman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:47 AM   #47
squire_wj

I am having a hard time trying to get these broken bolts out. Anyone have any tips??
squire_wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #48
nathana
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire_wj View Post
So if I get a 90mm class 10.9 bolt with a washer is should be good. I am going to bring the broken bolt with me to the bolt store and make sure I get the right size.

Can anyone provide a link to the proper fastenal bolts we should be using with RC X lift? That would be very helpful! Thank you. Is this the ideal set up ... "90 mm bolts with flat washer and 2" spacer and the ball joint go in to a depth of 1.249""
nathana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #49
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathana View Post
Can anyone provide a link to the proper fastenal bolts we should be using with RC X lift? That would be very helpful! Thank you. Is this the ideal set up ... "90 mm bolts with flat washer and 2" spacer and the ball joint go in to a depth of 1.249""
1.249 is the amount of thread engagement a 90mm long bolt will have when used in this application. It is not something you need to know for ordering the bolts. For general background... the OEM bolts were M14-2.0 X 36mm, the Mopar P/N is 06505445AA. If you add in the 2" spacer and a flat washer you need a 90mm long bolt to have equal or slightly better than equal thread engagement. So the 90mm bolt below is what I would use but you have to make up your own mind if it is the right bolt for you.

M14-2.0 x 90mm DIN 931 Class 10.9 Yellow Zinc Cap Screw

Fastenal Part No. (SKU): 0128809 UNSPSC : 31161501

Manufacturer: Fastenal Approved Vendor Category: Fasteners > Bolts > Cap Screws & Hex Bolts

Bolt Info: System of Measurement:Metric Diameter:M14Finish:Yellow ZincGrade:Class 10.9Length:90mmMaterial:SteelSpecificationIN 931Thread:CoarseThread Size:2.0Type:Hex Cap ScrewWrench Size:22mmThread Type:Partial ThreadProduct Weight: 0.25 lbs.
Tollmtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #50
squire_wj

well just a quick update....after 9 hours of fighting with the bolts and even having a friend come over to try and get them out. no luck we broke an easy out in the bolt so now it looks like its going to a machine shop and let them do whatever it takes to get them out.
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:27 PM   #51
tinman77
2004 WJ 

Sorry squire Ive been on the road all day. I had the same problem with the easy outs.. I drilled a small hole next to the broken easy out about an 1/8" down and then I took a nail and drove it in a bit. Next I took a dull (from previous miss use) flat head screw driver and drove the bolt out. I'll see if I have the bolt bag from fastenall with the part numbers for everyones use.
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #52
tinman77
2004 WJ 

No luck tossed the bag! I went with M14X80 class 10.9 coarse thread. I absolutely recommend going with M14X90 class 10.9. Especially if there is a slight chance that the threads are messed
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #53
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
well just a quick update....after 9 hours of fighting with the bolts and even having a friend come over to try and get them out. no luck we broke an easy out in the bolt so now it looks like its going to a machine shop and let them do whatever it takes to get them out.
If you live near a large city sometimes you will find a mobile service that specializes in removing broken bolts, taps, spark plugs, or whatever. They generally are a cheaper option than taking the part to a machine shop. Do a yellow pages and Google search for broken tap or broken bolt removal service.

If you decide to take the diff to a machine shop be sure and ask if the machine shop has an EDM. That is what we use to remove broken taps and drills if all else fails. Bolts present a different problem but with a broken easy out stuck in the bolt they may need to use EDM. But.... I bet an experience machinist will use a punch to loosen and remove the broken easy out and use a left hand drill to drill the bolt and spin it out.
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #54
squire_wj

I GOT THEM OUT!!! I ended up welding a washer to the broken bolt and locked a set of vice grips to the washer and heated the area up with oxy acetylene torch and it turned out pretty good. I am pretty pumped that it came out. I also contacted rough country and sent pictures as well. I wasnt looking for anything free ether but they are sending a sticker and shirt.
Unread 09-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #55
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

I don't have this issue currently, but I ordered the bolts and washers from Fastenal and will put them in this weekend just to be safe. Thank you to all who have posted about this and provided the part numbers from Fastenal.

I don't want to have to deal with the issue that you're all facing. Glad I came across this thread. My JF membership is really paying off!
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:41 PM   #56
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Anybody have this problem with the Kevin's off road kit? I have this on order since I have seen this happen to the rough country spacer and the one that Kolak sells and heard the IRO bolts are not long enough.
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
bmandubj10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #57
squire_wj

Your best bet would be to measure the bolts that come with the kit and see how much will be inside the treads ontop if the diff, and that its marked on top 10.9 as well for the proper grade of bolt.
Unread 09-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #58
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Your best bet would be to measure the bolts that come with the kit and see how much will be inside the treads ontop if the diff, and that its marked on top 10.9 as well for the proper grade of bolt.
Thank you the picture on their website show flat head bolts with washers, just does not tell me the length.
- 2003 WJ Limited 4.7L 4x4, 3 inch IRO coil lift with Bilstein shocks, OME .5 inch spacers, adjustable IRO Track Bar. Beefy Tenneco Steering Stabilizer. 32 inch General Grabber AT2's, 5000k DDM Tuning HID lights. Magna Flow Cat-back exhaust system. Rola safari rack. IRO bump stops. Kevin's Offroad 2 1/4 A-Arm spacer.
Unread 09-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #59
Tollmtn
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmandubj10 View Post
Anybody have this problem with the Kevin's off road kit? I have this on order since I have seen this happen to the rough country spacer and the one that Kolak sells and heard the IRO bolts are not long enough.
Kevins spacer is 2 1/4" thick, he supplies 100MM bolts. They will have slightly more thread engagement than the stock bolts had, so they should be perfect for that width spacer. The only thing I would check is to be sure they are class 10.9. You will find the size in this pdf. http://kevinsoffroad.com/wp-content/...tall-Guide.pdf
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #60
bmandubj10
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollmtn View Post
Kevins spacer is 2 1/4" thick, he supplies 100MM bolts. They will have slightly more thread engagement than the stock bolts had, so they should be perfect for that width spacer. The only thing I would check is to be sure they are class 10.9. You will find the size in this pdf. http://kevinsoffroad.com/wp-content/...tall-Guide.pdf
Thank you so much for the information!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.