Ahhh!!! California Emissions 1999wj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ahhh!!! California Emissions 1999wj

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 03-15-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
spgeid
1999 WJ 

Ahhh!!! California Emissions 1999wj

I bought a 1999 GC limited with 40k original miles. Think I got a deal but knew the exhaust was bad when I got it. Turns out it has a california exhaust on it with three catalytics. What a mess finding the front catalytics and worse yet getting them off. I had to pull the front drive shaft to get them down out of the engine compartment. Wish someone made a conversion to change it to a one cataylitic system. Anyone else ever have this headache?

spgeid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

I would not be surprised if there is (alot) more to it than just swapping the pipes.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

I just had the exhust pipe with the 2 mini cats changed on my '04. I bought what was suppose to be a direct replacement from NAPA. It looked like it was, but when the mechanic at the dealer tried to install it he ran into all kinds of problems because it was not made/bent correctly. I have to go back today as he has the exhust skewed and the muffler is hitting on the frame.

I am going to call NAPA and see if I can get a refund and buy the one from the dealer, cost a couple of hundred more but worth it if it fits correctly, after all the problems with the NAPA one.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
I would not be surprised if there is (alot) more to it than just swapping the pipes.
Yea, the engine computers and wiring harnesses are different.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #5
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmaveric View Post
, after all the problems with the NAPA one.
I've never had good luck at NAPA or with NAPA parts.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
spgeid
1999 WJ 

Got the replacement tonight

I got an eastern catalytic direct fit replacement. Cost $319.00 Hope it fits. And of course the hole in the Y pipe was right at the boot on the front drive shaft CV joint. Melted it. Went today and got the bad news that they have to do a remanufacture to change it $180 bucks. Yuk. Talked to a drive shaft repair shop he says he can make me a conventional shaft if the ends on the punkin and quadra drive are the right splines. Not sure which way to go.
Unread 03-16-2010, 07:11 AM   #7
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgeid View Post
I got an eastern catalytic direct fit replacement. Cost $319.00 Hope it fits. And of course the hole in the Y pipe was right at the boot on the front drive shaft CV joint. Melted it. Went today and got the bad news that they have to do a remanufacture to change it $180 bucks. Yuk. Talked to a drive shaft repair shop he says he can make me a conventional shaft if the ends on the punkin and quadra drive are the right splines. Not sure which way to go.
Let us know how it goes in, if it bolts right up or not. What is the eastern direct fit, is eastern the name of the company or what? Mine from NAPA I think was about $365.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
Unread 03-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
spgeid
1999 WJ 

Got it on

It bolted on ok. It was quite a fight for a while the spread of the two flanges was off about 3/8" to narrow. I put the back flange on snug and used a pry bar to spread it enough to slide up over the manifold flange. After it was spread the right amount it kinda popped right up on and I was able to get the bolts back in. Tought job for one guy but I was able to get it. Eastern Cataylitic is the manufacture. They are located in PA. I googled it and found a supplier in NY to buy it from. Total shipped bill was right around $325 deliverd UPS in two days. If I was to do it again I might research Catco instead. Not sure and hope I never have to do it again.
Unread 03-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgeid View Post
It bolted on ok. It was quite a fight for a while the spread of the two flanges was off about 3/8" to narrow. I put the back flange on snug and used a pry bar to spread it enough to slide up over the manifold flange. After it was spread the right amount it kinda popped right up on and I was able to get the bolts back in. Tought job for one guy but I was able to get it. Eastern Cataylitic is the manufacture. They are located in PA. I googled it and found a supplier in NY to buy it from. Total shipped bill was right around $325 deliverd UPS in two days. If I was to do it again I might research Catco instead. Not sure and hope I never have to do it again.

The spread was the same problem the mechanic had with the NAPA one, off about the same amount.

Lifetime member #13

2011 Tango/Mango JKU

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.