JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   WJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/)
-   -   aftermarket stereo question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/aftermarket-stereo-question-1670833/)

StickinMud 10-10-2013 04:29 PM

aftermarket stereo question

Going to be upgrading my stereo in my 04 SE real soon and wanted some advice. I was planning on upgrading all the door speakers and adding a couple subs and 2 apps while keeping the factory hu.

I see on wjjeeps they use hi to low signal converters and just tap into the stock wiring for the amp signal. I've heard mixed results about sound quality of these things and wanted a second opinion before I use them.

Anyone else have any luck using these or an I better off just getting a new hi and running rcas to the back ?

rickdod 10-10-2013 04:35 PM

In my honest opinion, unless you absolutely LOVE the stock headunit, get rid of it and spend the extra money to get a good quality headunit. It will save you headaches in the long run.

Unless you get the high dollar signal converters, they really are not worth a crap.

If you need some suggestions as to which headunit to get just let me know and I would be happy to point you in the right direction, I have been in Car Audio for 8+ years now and have been professionally competing in stereo competitions the last 3 years with my WJ :-)

StickinMud 10-10-2013 04:45 PM

That's what I thought. I hate the hu tbh. I've wired in an aux plug and that's about the only thing I like about it. I don't own CDs anymore and the tape deck is shot.

Would really like something with Bluetooth but don't want to spend much $ either. That said I was looking at the Alpine UTE-42BT from crutchfield. Seems reasonably priced but am obviously open to opinions.

peytonimor7 10-10-2013 04:46 PM

I am going to go ahead and suggest getting a new head unit. RCA's are much easier, with a cleaner signal as well. The factory stereo will make it more aggravating to run subs, it doesn't push as much power, produces a worse signal. An aftermarket HU allows you much more control over your speakers with sub control and equalizers and some Kenwood models even have the ability to tune your speakers to the position of your ears.

StickinMud 10-10-2013 05:44 PM

I guess I could mention the components I am planning on using. I just spent quit a bit of$ upgrading the stereo in my wife's impala so the wj is going to be on a pretty tight budget.

So far I've acquired a couple used old school amps. One is a 4 channel RF 4600x and the other is a RF 551s. Not sure what the subs are exactly but they are 2 RF 12s in a custom box and cap.

So far I've only spent $150 so I think I'm doing ok so far budget wise. The shop here in town is a Memphis audio dealer so I may go with those for the doors, not sure yet. Also not sure what to do with the tweeters. All kind of depends on money.

its-me-B 10-10-2013 06:27 PM

I installed one on my buddy's jetta, and it worked perfect with a little tuning. He is running one 10 in a bandpass box and it sounds good, and he can still use the steering wheel controls. You just have to tune the converter, first his was really distorted but I played with its adjusters and was able to get everything sounding good.

Now with that said... I would not use it if your running anything more than one smaller sub. I'm not sure it would have the signal strength to run more than one. If your upgrading everything else might as well replace the headunit.

StickinMud 10-15-2013 09:46 PM

Well my wife caught wind of my stereo upgrade plans and but the smack down on my plans. I ended up just installing the RF 551s and subs to a hi low converter and kept everything else stock.

It's not an ideal setup but was cheap. Luckily the amp came with a remote bass knob so I can adjust the bass volume so it's not over powering the rest of the factory gear.

Maybe next month I'll see about getting a new head unit and then some new speakers guard the beginning of the year.

There are so many has units and speaker configurations to choose from its super hard to decide.

The time now is 11:06 PM.