After being stuck up to headlight in mud hole! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > After being stuck up to headlight in mud hole!

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Wj After being stuck up to headlight in mud hole!

Just as it says, I recently went riding at a local off raod park and became stuck in a mud hole up to the drivers headlight, driver side lower. I never turned off the engine and winched out within 10 minutes. About a week later problems began.

First check engine light came on, shows small leak in fuel vapor system.

Second I have to trun over the engine at least twice most the time to get started, and strong gas smell comes from exhaust. I can usually see the gas vapor coming out as it starts.

Third, my tranny seems to be slipping. I can watch the tach and the rpms will go higher than normal and drop back down. This is sparatic, sometimes it stays steady, other times its constantly up and down rpms at speed. Ive noticed this in all gears as well.

Thanks for the help guys..

duanewhatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

I'd start by checking the evap system and hoses to make sure nothing got punctured or ripped. How is the selenoid running? I'm wondering if something happened to a hose somewhere, either ripped or come off causing the issue. Never hurts to visually inspect to see everything is ok. you may be easily able to see an issue. How far up the engine did the mud/water get? Drain the tranny and replace the filters This will ensure you know if everything appears to be ok inside. Possibility something got in with that kind of depth your were in. Hopefully the breather line is high enough it didn't suck anything in.

That's where I'd start anyways. Hope you get it sorted out and it's easy to get 'er going again.

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the reply. I did change transmission filters and fluid, fluid was brite red and no signs of debri. Ive checked all evap lines under hood and at the tank. Im gonna check in between when I get off work tommorow. Ive replaced fuel filter/regulator with napa gold. Fuel pump was replaced about 6 months ago. I noticed a fuel leak from the bleeder valve on the fuel rail and replaced that. I also forgot to mentiom I have the 4.7l.
Unread 06-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
cykaaro
2000 WJ 

Start with the easy stuff and work your way from there. With the new e-testing their doing here rather than seeing what your car spews out, they're checking for engine codes, and it now sees if your evap system leaks. Go figure. What I've seen though is that lines may seem ok, but can have small cracks or such and leak. With the code makes me think there could be a crack somewhere. Also with smelling gas from the tailpipe, could it also be dumping too much gas into the engine or is it dumping gas and/or vapor through the engine rather than the evap system working properly?

HID Quad bi-xenon + foglight retrofit
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?44572-Jeep-2000-Grand-Cherokee-WJ
cykaaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
duanewhatley
1999 WJ 

No signs of leaks or cracks in the lines. I did hook it up to the scan tool and took some pics. I took a video of the throttle fluctuating from 11.8 to 12.2 but can't post video from phone. Is that normal fluctuation?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-2340285054.jpg   image-3458940811.jpg   image-2758141082.jpg   image-269862930.jpg  

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.