Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Adjusting Steering Wheel

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  286rocks 
#1 ·
So I just picked up a new to me 1999 Grand Cherokee 4WD. It was in rough shape with a cracked head, bum water pump, weird shifting transmission etc etc. I've managed to get most of it straightened out but now I need to get my steering wheel straight. The alignment seems fine, it drives straight but the wheel is off by about 30 degrees to the right.
Reading though the interwebs it sounds like most jeeps have a turnbuckle on the drag link making for easy adjustment. However on mine I don't have one, it's just a straight metal bar with threads on either end going to the pitman arm and the passenger wheel.
My question is should I be able to turn the entire bar if I loosen the clamps on either end? I tried like hell but the thing would not budge. Am I getting something wrong here or is it just really stuck?

Here are some pics of what I'm going on about.

Pitman Side

Passenger Wheel Side

See less See more
#4 ·
Or just make sure the steering wheel isn't locked.

#5 ·
Dumb question but the pitman arm is supposed to be parallel to the frame when the wheels are straight, correct?
That is how every vehicle I've ever worked on was anyhow?

Mine is off to the driver side and doesn't appear to be enough threads left to get it centered.
Looks similar to the pic above, but my wheel is straight
Was like this when I got the Jeep... ?

#7 ·
ahhh, that isn't so bad then. I was "assuming" it was like every other one I've ever seen and parallel to the frame/vehicle :thumbsup:

It doesn't appear there is enough thread left in the draglink to make that happen, so I was a bit concerned/curious :cheers2:

More study once I return home next month; I would prefer that end of the draglink and the trackbar pivot to be even to reduce any chance of bumpsteer when traveling in a straight line. :rtft:

#9 ·
Ok great, thanks everybody for the replys! I have it soaking in penetrating oil for the time being and will give it a shot whenever it stops raining.
I was a little bit concerned about doing damage to the joints on either end by cranking on it too hard. I guess next time I'll really give it the beans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.