Adjusting Steering Wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adjusting Steering Wheel

Black Rhino Off Road Wheels + Free ShippingThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-20-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
286rocks

Adjusting Steering Wheel

So I just picked up a new to me 1999 Grand Cherokee 4WD. It was in rough shape with a cracked head, bum water pump, weird shifting transmission etc etc. I've managed to get most of it straightened out but now I need to get my steering wheel straight. The alignment seems fine, it drives straight but the wheel is off by about 30 degrees to the right.
Reading though the interwebs it sounds like most jeeps have a turnbuckle on the drag link making for easy adjustment. However on mine I don't have one, it's just a straight metal bar with threads on either end going to the pitman arm and the passenger wheel.
My question is should I be able to turn the entire bar if I loosen the clamps on either end? I tried like hell but the thing would not budge. Am I getting something wrong here or is it just really stuck?

Here are some pics of what I'm going on about.

Pitman Side

Passenger Wheel Side

286rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
gcjeeping
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

You were doing it right. Loosen the clamps and turn the sleeve. It is probably just rusted on and seized. Get some penetrating oil/spray and keep applying for a few days. I had to use a 3ft pipe wrench with a cheeter bar to get mine to finally turn. You could possibly heat them up and try turning them.
gcjeeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

Lift the front end up as well when you adjust it. It will turn a lot easier
mtb_crzd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
shockracer
14,000' WJ

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_crzd47 View Post
Lift the front end up as well when you adjust it. It will turn a lot easier
Or just make sure the steering wheel isn't locked.
5" hybrid lift, 265/70/17 Guard Dogs load E, bilsteins 5100's, addco sway bars, JKS front quick disco's, JKS adjustable track bar, KOR durometer track bar bushings, IRO crucial path front L.A.s, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers

Colorado Jeep Club Member #262
shockracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Dumb question but the pitman arm is supposed to be parallel to the frame when the wheels are straight, correct?
That is how every vehicle I've ever worked on was anyhow?

Mine is off to the driver side and doesn't appear to be enough threads left to get it centered.
Looks similar to the pic above, but my wheel is straight
Was like this when I got the Jeep... ?
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
USFORCES
2004 WJ 

Pitman arm should be pointing at the drivers seat.
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #7
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USFORCES View Post
Pitman arm should be pointing at the drivers seat.
ahhh, that isn't so bad then. I was "assuming" it was like every other one I've ever seen and parallel to the frame/vehicle

It doesn't appear there is enough thread left in the draglink to make that happen, so I was a bit concerned/curious

More study once I return home next month; I would prefer that end of the draglink and the trackbar pivot to be even to reduce any chance of bumpsteer when traveling in a straight line.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
dcocch
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Use a pipe wrench, it makes it a lot easier.
dcocch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
286rocks

Ok great, thanks everybody for the replys! I have it soaking in penetrating oil for the time being and will give it a shot whenever it stops raining.
I was a little bit concerned about doing damage to the joints on either end by cranking on it too hard. I guess next time I'll really give it the beans.
Unread 04-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #10
286rocks

So I took a quick trip to Sears and got a small pipe wrench for $10, added about 4 feet of extension with some left over fence post and FINALLY got the drag link to turn! Steering wheel is now straight and on point. Thank you ALL for the help!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.