Adjustable trackbar at stock height - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Adjustable trackbar at stock height

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
fizzer
1999 WJ 

Adjustable trackbar at stock height

So last night my WJ's stock trackbar broke. I have a 3" IRO lift kit at home which has a trackbar for 3-6" of lift. I don't have the money or time to install the entire lift kit at the moment so was wounding if the trackbar included in my lift kit would fit at stock height?

fizzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

It'll fit but your axle will be shifted to the passenger side.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #3
fizzer
1999 WJ 

Gotcha. Would that give any damage to my rig in the long run because I don't plan on installing the lift kit anytime soon and also does this mean than my passenger side wheel will be sticking out a little bit more than usual?
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
MuddyWJ
2004 WJ 

It'll stick out quite a bit and will definitely cause strain on your bushings. My advice go to a junkyard or Puck and pull, grab a TB.
MuddyWJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Linus
2004 WJ 

How did you break your trackbar? The factory one is 1 piece and is pretty solid. Did you break the bushing or mount?
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzer
So last night my WJ's stock trackbar broke. I have a 3" IRO lift kit at home which has a trackbar for 3-6" of lift. I don't have the money or time to install the entire lift kit at the moment so was wounding if the trackbar included in my lift kit would fit at stock height?
Get a buddy and buy some beer and have him help you.. make sure he has tools. If not, find another buddy. You can install that lift. It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to put that lift kit on. Sounds like you need it anyway if you broke your stock track bar..

Some of the more specialized tools (Spring Compressor, etc) you can actually borrow from most retail parts stores.. they'll make you pay for them but when you return them they'll give you your money back.
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
kaestacrunch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat

Get a buddy and buy some beer and have him help you.. make sure he has tools. If not, find another buddy. You can install that lift. It doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to put that lift kit on. Sounds like you need it anyway if you broke your stock track bar..

Some of the more specialized tools (Spring Compressor, etc) you can actually borrow from most retail parts stores.. they'll make you pay for them but when you return them they'll give you your money back.
Do this. Won't take you more than a few hours.
kaestacrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
fizzer
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
How did you break your trackbar? The factory one is 1 piece and is pretty solid. Did you break the bushing or mount?
Actually my brother was driving the jeep when it happened and he just sent me a pic and it looks like it wasn't even the trackback but the drag link that disconnected. I'm pretty sure its just the brushing since the drag link looked intact. The rigs currently at the shop so i can't crawl underneath to check but hopefully that is the problem.
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
fizzer
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brouwmat View Post

I know I've actually done extensive research on how to install it and my buddy is decently good at working on cars but school just started and I really don't have time. Also if I do run into a problem and the jeep goes out of commission for a few day I would be screwed since it is my daily driver. Sucks cuz the lift kits been sitting at my house for the past 4 months. Shoulda done it over summer
Unread 09-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
kaestacrunch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzer

I know I've actually done extensive research on how to install it and my buddy is decently good at working on cars but school just started and I really don't have time. Also if I do run into a problem and the jeep goes out of commission for a few day I would be screwed since it is my daily driver. Sucks cuz the lift kits been sitting at my house for the past 4 months. Shoulda done it over summer
Just make sure you set aside plans, and have all the tools before hand. It took me a total of six hours to do my lift, and that's with two trips to autozone, one to the hardware store, several times when I ran inside to reference the write up I was using, a lunch break and a few beers. By myself. I'm no mechanic by any means, and never have I done suspension work before then, but if I did it again, I could do it in 2-3 hours easy. Granted, I only did a 2" lift, but I can't see it taking much longer, especially if you had a buddy.
kaestacrunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #11
brouwmat
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaestacrunch

Just make sure you set aside plans, and have all the tools before hand. It took me a total of six hours to do my lift, and that's with two trips to autozone, one to the hardware store, several times when I ran inside to reference the write up I was using, a lunch break and a few beers. By myself. I'm no mechanic by any means, and never have I done suspension work before then, but if I did it again, I could do it in 2-3 hours easy. Granted, I only did a 2" lift, but I can't see it taking much longer, especially if you had a buddy.
That kit is just Shocks, Trackbar, Springs, and extended links.. are you saying that those took you 6 hours?

I think my shocks took less than 10 min a piece (that's being generous), Springs maybe 30 each (I used the compressor rather than jacking up the other side which would've been easier) and the trackbar maybe took 30 min as well.. Sway links maybe 10 min a piece. This is VERY doable in under 3-4 hours and an afternoon should not be a problem with a friend (unless you drink too much beer). :-) LOL
brouwmat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.